From: Friday, Dec 31st, 2021
To: Saturday, Jan 1st, 2022
From: Friday, Dec 31st, 2021
Grab your spot by 8pm at the latest near Posto 6. Bring some blankets so you can sit while you wait for the show. Plan your trip in advance! Bring a cooler and some champagne and wait for the show to kick off at 12am!
NYE is one of Rio’s biggest events.
To get the best deal and save up to 70%
Book your hotel early!
Celebrate a Gay New Years Eve in Rio – The Biggest Beach Party in the world!
Rio is so hot in the summer, that nobody cares much if it drizzles a bit on New Year’s Eve. Everyone will be there. Two and a half million people. If you intend to be among them get ready for one of the prettiest parties in the world.
The Main Party
- The main party takes place along Copacabana Beach which hosts several music stages, fireworks and dancing. organisation of transport in and out of the area is vital. Roads are blocked to traffic from 6 PM on 31 December until 4 AM on 1 January so you need to plan accordingly. Remember everyone wears white on this very special night. On your way to the beach purchase some lilies so you can sacrifice it to the Yemanja; Goddess of the Sea and you will be granted three wishes.
- Bring a blanket and some champagne and ice! Copacabana Beach can get very packed. We prefer the area around the front of Life Guard Tower 6 (Posto 6). Its less packed and you can still see all of the spectacular fireworks displays. The other advantage of staying there is that it´s closer to Ipanema where you most likely will be going later.
- At midnight, Several barges loaded with fireworks go off at the same time and the effect is amazing. Notice how Cantagalo, the favela in Copacabana, also have fireworks that they shoot off right after the official one. It´s like a demonstration: “We live here as well!
The After Parties
The best after-party takes place at the legendary “The Week” nightclub (The week R. Sacadura Cabral, 154 – Saúde, Rio de Janeiro – RJ, 20081-262, Brazil). The party kicks off from 1am after the main fireworks display.
The gay bars and clubs in Rio are quite spread out, and you will probably need to take taxis to and from them, we have picked hotel that keep you central to the shopping and the beaches in nice and safe areas that have a good rating:
Here are the hotels we recommend that have good reviews and keep you close to all the action
Gay Map of Rio
Most of Rips gay bars are located in Ipanema and Copacabana. Ipanema’s gayest nightspot is on the beach block of Rua Teixeira de Melo, next to Farme.
Along Copacabana beach there is a traditionally gay-friendly area known as Bolsa, near Lido. Hustlers are pretty much part of the scene, and you should keep a good hold on your wallet
Do you need to rent a car when your in Rio. Compare all the major car rental rates NOW!
Video Of New Years Celebrations in Rio
Highlights Copacabana 2015 / 2016 Fireworks New Year’s Eve Rio
Recommended Hotels in Rio
We recommend that you try and grab a beachfront room if your budget will stretch that far! 4 star hotels offer great value but book fast. The newer 5 star hotels in Rio are some of the most opulent in the Latin America.
Hotel Fasano Ipanema
5 Star, Panoramic Views
A rooftop pool with stunning sea views, a spa & wellness center. luxurious beachfront accommodations on Ipanema Beach.
Rio Othon Palace
5 Star Service
Next to Copacabana beach, Rio Othon Palace features a rooftop pool with excellent views of the Sugar Loaf Mountain
4 Star Great Beach Views
Facing Copacabana Beach, within a 5-minute walk from Ipanema Beach, this hotel features free Wi-Fi, a rooftop pool and a restaurant.
3 Star – Central Location
Prime location, Atlantis Copacabana Hotel is just a 5-minute walk to both Copacabana and Ipanema Beaches. Free WiFi is also available
Other Events in December
Latest Gay Travel News
- The Top Gay New Year Events and EscapesWednesday, Sep 1st, 2021 - 8:30 pm
From the White Parties in Bangkok & Puerto Vallarta to fireworks displays in Rio and Sydney, here’s our top choices for a Gay New Year escape.
- The Top Gay Ski WeeksWednesday, Sep 1st, 2021 - 8:21 pm
From the Apres Ski parties in Aspen to the slopes of Queenstown in September, here are the top gay ski weeks to attend in 2021!
- The Top Gay Christmas Markets & Festive EventsWednesday, Sep 1st, 2021 - 4:33 pm
The Top Gay Christmas Markets & Festive Events, From Santa Speedo Runs to fairytale Christmas Markets.