From: Friday, December 6, 2024
To: Thursday, January 2, 2025
Christmas Markets and Gay New Year in Bangkok 2024 | 25
Dodge the cold and dive into Bangkok’s seasonal embrace. It’s a festive season with a tropical twist! Enjoy the lights, the parties, and, most importantly, the unique Thai charm that envelops the city during this festive season.
- Stay at The SO Sofitel (Sathorn) – A gay favourite and host to regular pool parties and themed events with spacious rooms, delicious breakfasts and superb views over Lumpini park.
Christmas and New Year, Bangkok Style.
- Christmas in Bangkok is an electrifying blend of traditional festivities and vibrant celebrations with a unique Thai twist.
- The city lights up for the season, showcasing a Rockefeller-inspired Christmas tree at Central Square, vibrant village markets, and the spectacular White Party Weekend.
- Christmas is not a traditional Thai festival, but Bangkok embraces it with open arms. You’ll see Thai takes on Christmas songs, food, and decorations.
- Likewise, Bangkok officially celebrates New Year in April during Songkran. However, the city shines with spectacular New Year fireworks and circuit parties.
- Upgrade your Christmas and NYE experience in Bangkok with a stay at The Standard (Mahanakhon) – A new icon in Bangkok, located in the city’s tallest building in the capital’s downtown CBD. The hotel is simply stunning with superb amenities and divine dining options.
Celebrations & Festivities
- Bangkok’s Malls: Each major mall, like Siam Paragon and MBK, decks out in Christmas decor. These aren’t just shopping destinations but immersive experiences with elaborate themes and installations.
Central World Square
- Think of New York’s Rockefeller Center! Central World’s square transforms into a winter wonderland with a giant Christmas tree and stunning light displays—a must-see for the festive atmosphere.
- Features a Winter Village, extravagant Christmas decorations and spectacular New Year’s Eve events
Asiatique the Riverfront at Christmas
- The Riverside Market transforms into a festive hub with Christmas stalls and events.
- Asiatique is home to one of Bangkok’s largest Christmas trees, seen from the river.
- The market is easily accessible, reached via a free water shuttle.
IconSiam at Christmas
- One of our favourite places to experience the Christmas vibe in Bangkok.
- The iconic waterfront mall, Icon Siam has a stunning Christmas tree and hosts a beautiful market.
- Best visited at night for festive illuminations and famous for their epic NYE celebrations.
- Take a dinner cruise and enjoy the mall’s Christmas lights from the Chao Phraya River.
Terminal 21 Asok
- Enjoy an international experience with floors themed around cities like London, Paris, and Tokyo.
- Known for its distinctive theming and seasonal decorations, Terminal 21 Asok features markets with an international flair.
Chatuchak Weekend Market
- While not a Christmas market per se, Chatuchak’s vast selection of goods becomes more festive during this season.
- Perfect for finding quirky and unusual items.
Gay Parties & Nightlife – Christmas and New Years
- Christmas in Bangkok is an extraordinary experience, blending the joy of traditional Christmas moments with the city’s renowned hospitality and vibrant gay scene.
- Stay at The Banyan Tree Bangkok (Sathorn): Located right in the gay district’s heart, this oasis offers a breathtaking rooftop pool and bar, perfect for soaking up Bangkok’s glitz.
- Silom Soi 2 and 4: The heart of Bangkok’s gay nightlife. Expect clubs and bars here to go all out with special events and parties.
- White Party: If you’re in town for New Year’s, this is Asia’s biggest gay circuit party. It usually starts a few days after Christmas.
- G Club: A popular gay bar that amps up the festive mood with themed nights and special performances.
- Central World: Hosts one of the city’s biggest New Year’s Eve street parties with live music, light shows, and a countdown to a spectacular fireworks display.
- Silom Road Street Party: The area around Silom Road, particularly near the BTS Sala Daeng Station, turns into a giant street party. It’s known for being LGBTQ+-friendly and very lively.
- Bar Hopping: Many of Bangkok’s gay bars and clubs in the area host their own NYE events. Although busy, it’s easy to hop from one to the other.
Chao Phraya River
- River Cruises: Celebrate on a dinner cruise with views of the fireworks. The river offers a fantastic vantage point to see multiple fireworks displays along the banks.
- Riverside Restaurants: Many high-end restaurants along the river offer special NYE dinners with great views of the fireworks.
- Lebua at State Tower (Sky Bar): This bar offers breathtaking city views and fireworks.
- Vertigo and Moon Bar at Banyan Tree: Another fantastic rooftop venue, providing a more intimate experience.
Best Places to View The Fireworks
- Taksin Bridge: A Spectacular Fireworks Viewpoint Connects Sathorn and Thonburi. Open since 1982, this bustling bridge turns into a popular gathering spot on New Year’s Eve. Ideal for witnessing breathtaking fireworks over the Chao Phraya River, with views of landmarks like ICONSIAM and Asiatique.
- Memorial Bridge (Saphan Phut) is a historical Celebration Spot surrounded by cultural hotspots like Bangkok’s Little India. Attracts a jubilant crowd on New Year’s Eve, offering a blend of history and celebration.
- Ratchaprasong Skywalk offers a distant but splendid view of the city’s fireworks and festive lights. The best views are over the Ratchaprasong intersection or near Gaysorn Village.
Recommended Hotels in Bangkok
Here are the hotels we recommend that have good reviews and keep you close to all the action,
Gay Map of Bangkok
Silom Street 2 and 4 is the epicenter of gay nightlife in Bangkok. Here you will find the best bars and restaurants, the perfect place to begin your night on the town.
Recommended Hotels in Bangkok By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Bangkok that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
5 Star, Luxury
- 5-Star, Michelin-Star Restaurant
- Close to the gay district
- Cable TV, yoga mat, bathtub
- In Bangkok’s Sathorn area, offers luxurious Thai-style rooms, spa, ideal for a sophisticated retreat
W Bangkok Hotel
5 Star, Readers Choice
- 5-Star, Outdoor Pool, Fitness Centre
- A short walk to the gay bars
- Flat-screen TV, iPod docking station
- Offers modern amenities, pool, fitness center, perfect for a trendy and comfortable stay in Bangkok
Banyan Tree Bangkok
5 Star, Great Value
- 5-Star, Rooftop Restaurant
- A short taxi ride to the gay bars
- Spacious, satellite TV, minibar
- Luxurious rooms with city or river views, rooftop dining, ideal for an exclusive Bangkok experience
4 Star, Location
- 4-Star, Silom District, Two Pools
- Close to the gay district
- Flat-screen TV, kitchenette, minibar
- Located in Silom, offers rooms and suites with pools, perfect for a comfortable and convenient stay
Video Christmas in Bangkok
Ride with Gabi and discover the best of Christmas in Bangkok
Top Gay Neighbourhoods in Bangkok
Bangkok has a well-established gay scene with a variety of LGBTQ+ bars, clubs, saunas, and entertainment venues. The city is known for its open and accepting attitude towards LGBTQ+ travelers and residents. You can find a range of venues catering to different tastes and preferences.
Silom Soi 2 | The Heart of the Gay Scene
- Silom Soi 2 is considered one of the central locations for LGBTQ+ nightlife in Bangkok.
- The street features a mix of bars, pubs, and clubs, each with its own unique style and ambiance.
- Many of the establishments on Silom Soi 2 host special events, theme nights, and performances, from drag shows to themed parties.
- Discover the best things to see and do in Bangkok
Silom Soi 4
Also known as Soi Twilight, another popular gay area next to Silom Soi 2. Famous for its gay go-go bars
Ratchada Night Market
Sukhumvit Soi 22
This area has a concentration of gay-friendly venues, including bars & clubs. A great spot to socialize & have drinks