From: Friday, December 22, 2023
To: Friday, December 22, 2023
The Burning of the Clocks 2023
The Burning of the Clocks is a celebration of The Winter Solstice on 21st December when Brighton city centre lights up the darkest, shortest day of the year with a unique festival.
- Visiting Brighton? Book your hotel well in advance, it is one of the most popular weekend escapes in UK, even during the Winter. Stay on the beachfront at Jurys Inn, a 4 star hotel with large rooms and great views.
- Burning the clocks, Brighton is a magical procession which winds its way through some of Brighton’s oldest streets and lanes.
- In this community event people hold handmade willow lanterns aloft in the air, in a parade that heads down to the sea.
- The glowing lanterns are made from willow canes, traditionally called withies, and white tissue paper. The parade ends at the seafront by Marine Parade for a stunning finale featuring the burning the clocks on the beach.
- Clocks and lanterns and set upon a blazing beach bonfire followed by a burning the clocks firework display. Many people dress up, and each costume must include the image of a clock face to represent the passage of time.
- Drummers and musicians accompany the group, and the party atmosphere is hard to resist, with passers-by stopping to snap photos of the black-and-white display or dance along with them.
- For a “Fabulous” stay during the event, check in to Drakes Hotel, a boutique hotel offering stylish rooms and seafront location. Highly-recommended.
- The parade leaves from New Road at 6.30pm and arrives at Madeira Drive at approximately 7.15pm, when lanterns are passed onto the bonfire and the fire-show begins.
- The event finishes at around 8pm. The fire show and pyrotechnics will take place on the beach.
- Grab the best viewing spots along Madeira Drive and the Upper Terrace of Marine Parade. VIP viewing tickets are available.
- A simple lantern pack is available so that people can make and hang a lantern in their window to mark the winter solstice on 21st December and show their support.
- Burning of the Clocks is created by Same Sky a Brighton Community Arts charity group.
- Stay close to the parde on the Seafront at the Lanes Hotel, right on the seafront, just a short walk to the parade fishing point on the beach.
Recommended Hotels in Brighton
The following hotels are all close to the centre of Brighton, the gay bars & parade festivities
Gay Map of Brighton
Most of the Brighton gay bars and pubs are located in the city’s ‘Gay Quarter’ in Brighton’s Kemp Town – a compact strip of pubs and clubs just moments from the seafront.
Recommended Hotels in Brighton By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Brighton that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
4 Star, Luxury
Overlooking the seafront, Jurys Inn Brighton Waterfront benefits from its own entrance at the front of the hotel in the right corner and is just 400 m from the Brighton Pier and the Royal Pavilion. It offers free WiFi throughout, a restaurant with sea views, a pool and a spa. Air-conditioned rooms, flat-screen TV and free toiletries.
The Grand Brighton
4 Star, Readers Choice
With its sumptuous Renaissance style, The Grand Brighton has a magnificent location on Brighton’s seafront and is just a 10-minute walk from Brighton Pier. The rooms offer high-quality furnishings, including Egyptian cotton bed linen and bathrobes. Each room includes free WiFi and a flat-screen TV with satellite channels and some Sky channels.
4 Star, Great Value
This elegant Victorian hotel overlooks the beach, sea and promenade, and has a brasserie restaurant for guests to enjoy. Free high-speed Wi-Fi throughout. A bar and 24-hour room service. Each clean, modern room has a flat-screen TV with satellite channels and an en suite bathroom with toiletries. Some rooms have sea views.
4 Star, Location
Hilton Brighton Metropole looks out over Brighton seafront and is close to the shops and city centre. The grand Victorian building has large rooms, two restaurants, a spa and a fitness centre with an indoor pool. The en-suite rooms have a flat-screen TV, a hairdryer and ironing facilities. Some rooms also enjoy panoramic sea views.
Video of The Burning of the Clocks,
Burning The Clocks 2018