From: Thursday, February 8, 2024
To: Wednesday, February 14, 2024
With 1.5 Million People attending – Cologne Carnival is one big streetparty!
Although Koelner Carnival in Cologne is very gay friendly. This is a costume party after all. The city’s gay bars and clubs host special parties throughout the 6 day event including several circuit parties, sauna nights and late night after-hour events.
- Are you visiting for Cologne Carnival? Stay close to the party at 25 Hours Hotel Koeln The Circle, rated “Fabulous” by guests featuring beautifully decorated rooms and excellent on-site bar and restaurant.
Costumes are the order of the day, with just about everyone wearing one. The style is rather different from Brazilian carnivals. Think more “Prussian Soldier”, but then everyone loves a man in uniform.
Cologne Carnival Program Highlights
- The Carnival is six days of fun-filled events, making new friends and meeting old ones, if you can work out who is who, under all the makeup and sequins. Every night is a party or “Crazy Day”, running from the 8th of Feb to the 14th Feb 2024.
- Bar closing times are suspended for the festival duration. The city fills with costumes, drinking and singing. Each day Cologne echoes to the sounds of the Carnival battle cry: “Kölle Alaaf”, which means “Long live Cologne!”
- Stay close to the Carnival celebrations at Maison Marasil, a design hotel rated “Fabulous” by guests in the heart of the old town, featuring individually designed rooms and apartments.
Weiberfastnacht (Shrove Tuesday)
- 13th Feb 2024 – This is the traditional kick off of the annual event and sees thousands of visitors arrive in the city, packing the old town and the bars and clubs for a night of celebration.
Rose Monday Parade
- 12th Feb 2024 – The highlight is of Koelner Carnival is the Rose Monday Parade, Rosenmontagszug with over one million people lining the streets to see it from 10:30 a.m.
- The event is organized by the Cologne Carnival Committee of 1823. It is a colourful spectacle with sweets (“Kamelle”), little bouquets of flowers (“Strüßjer”), pecks (“Bützje”) and over one million of spectators in fancy dress.
The Burning of the Nubble
- 14th Feb 2024 – Midnight Tuesday is the symbolic burning of Nubbel, a straw doll “scapegoat” for all the sins of the year. the event is followed by Ash Wednesday with traditional fish dinners.
- Feb 9th – 11th 2024 – The Sexy Cologne Carnival Circuit Weekend – featuring the world’s top circuit DJs, thousands of guys and one of the most epic productions in Europe!
Where to stay during Cologne Carnival
The following Cologne hotels are currently trending with our readers. All are close to the city’s popular gay bars and carnival festivities:
Gay Map of Cologne
There two gay areas in Cologne: Rudolfplatz, known locally as the “Bermuda Triangle” is more modern in style with Many of the cafes, bars and clubs around have started during the last twenty years. The Old Town is home to more Traditional pubs and bars for mixed ages.
Recommended Hotels in Cologne By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Cologne that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
5 Star, Luxury
This hotel is situated in Cologne city centre, 200 m from the Heumarkt Square. It offers spacious rooms and a restaurant. Some rooms include access to a health club with large indoor swimming pool. Spacious rooms with soundproofed windows and modern décor. All rooms include free tea/coffee facilities and a stylish marble bathroom.
4 Star, Readers Choice
Featuring a bar, 25hours Hotel The Circle is located in Cologne the facilities of this property are a restaurant, a 24-hour front desk and a concierge service, along with free WiFi throughout the property. The hotel will provide guests with air-conditioned rooms with a desk, a safety deposit box, a flat-screen TV and a private bathroom with a shower.
Maritim Hotel Köln
4 Star, Location
Centrally located in Cologne, this hotel provides excellent panoramic views of the River Rhine. The Maritim Köln offers elegant accommodation and a spa with a gym and indoor pool. The air-conditioned rooms and suites are furnished in warm colours. All rooms include satellite TV, a desk and a modern bathroom. WiFi is provided free
4 Star, Great Value
This hotel lies in the heart of Cologne, offering a large indoor swimming pool and modern gym, and the sauna can be used for a surcharge. The bright and spacious rooms at Hotel Lyskirchen feature elegant interiors. All rooms come with a flat-screen TV, a desk and a coffee machine as well as a complimentary bottle of mineral water. Free WiFi is available.
Official coverage of the main parades.
Carnival Cologne – Rose Monday Parade
Top Gay Neighbourhoods in Cologne
Cologne, affectionately referred to as the “Gay Capital of Germany”, boasts vibrant gay neighbourhoods brimming with history, culture, and LGBTQ+ pride. The city’s heart beats loudly in the districts of Rudolfplatz and the Old Town’s famous Bermuda Triangle.
Altstadt-Nord | Cologne Old Town
- Cologne’s gay scene is around Heumarkt-Mathiasstrasse in the Old Town (Altstadt). It is the city’s original gayborhood.
- The gaybourhood is home to low-key gay bars, a leather vibe and famous cruise clubs.
- One of the pioneering districts for LGBTQ+ rights in Germany, it hosts several post-parade parties during Cologne Pride.
- Discover the best things to see and do in the old town.
Nicknamed “The Bermuda Triangle”, located west of town and home to Babylon & Phoenix saunas.
Known for its hip atmosphere offering a blend of chic boutiques, trendy restaurants, & lively bars.