From: Sunday, January 19, 2025
To: Sunday, February 9, 2025
A World Class Pride for a World Class city!
Melbourne’s answer to Pride, Midsumma features some of the city’s most iconic events including Carnival, T Dance and Pride March, all of which are outdoor public celebrations that have evolved over the years.
- Visiting for Melbourne’s Pride celebrations? Stay in the fashionable South Yarra neighbourhood at the the Adelphi Hotel, with bold interiors and excellent attention to details.
Gay Melbourne and where to stay and play during Midsumma
- Sunday 19th January – Sunday 9th February 2025 – Melbourne is blessed with glitzy skyscrapers, a beautiful bay and an eclectic mix of neighbourhoods with busy cafes, gay bars and funky restaurants.
- Looking to party? Start your night out at The Laird Hotel, the heart of the city’s gay scene. It has three large bars and a busy beer garden with a laid back vibe. 149 Gipps Street, Abbotsford
- DT’s Hotel is in the Richmond neighbourhood and has a beautiful garden and hosts popular drag shows. 164 Church Street, Richmond
- The 86 in Fitzroy, has sumptuous booths where you and your beau can enjoy delicious cocktails and granny bingo! 185 Smith Street, Fitzroy
- While in Fitzroy, hit Sircuit, one of the best places to dance! You can also go nude on Tuesdays! Ground Floor, 103 Smith St, Fitzroy
- The Crown Promenade on the south bank of the river has light and airy rooms and provides superb facilities that belie its 4 star status.
Midsumma Carnival & Tea Dance
- Sunday 19th January –Midsumma Carnival highlights the opening weekend of the three-week festival.
- Enjoy fun in the sun all day, and late into the evening, to celebrate the beginning of another fabulous Midsumma Festival.
- Take in live performances, picnic with friends, and see the iconic Dog Show.
- Carnival takes place at Alexandra Gardens from 11am until 10pm with stalls, food, and live entertainment galore leading visitors into a warm summer evening of T Dance.
- This popular annual event is free to the public and typically attracts around 120,000 people.
- Stay close to the city’s top attractions at The ibis Melbourne Central, is a charming 3 star hotel, with neutral decor and lots of space.
- Sunday 2nd February, 2025 – Midsumma Pride March 2025 will return to Fitzroy St, St Kilda. Midsumma Pride March is one of the events signature attractions, where over 8,000 marchers usually take to the streets down Fitzroy Street in St Kilda each year.
- 45,000 people line the streets and balconies along the march route to show their support – making this the best-attended Pride march in Victoria
- Route to be confirmed – From 11am – Proceeds down Fitzroy Street and ends in Catani Gardens, St Kilda. End of March: Marchers will turn right and enter Catani Gardens at the pedestrian crossing.
Popular Midsumma Venues
- Top Yard, Melbourne CBD – An urban rooftop garden bar in Melbourne’s CBD offering a relaxed, contemporary space for socializing and events with cityscape views.
- Victorian Pride Centre – Rooftop, St Kilda – A modern, inclusive rooftop venue at the Victorian Pride Centre in St Kilda, designed for community events with panoramic views.
- Coburg RSL, Coburg – Traditional, community-focused venue with versatile function spaces that cater to various events and honor Australian veterans.
- Hotel Esplanade, St Kilda – affectionately known as ‘The Espy,’ is a historic beachfront hotel in St Kilda renowned for its live music scene and vibrant atmosphere.
Circuit and Pool Parties
- THH Queer Pool Party: ’90s themed inclusive pool party with drag hosts, Prahran Aquatic Centre, Prahran.
- DNA Pool Party – Celebrate summer with DNA at Melbourne’s sexiest queer, the ultimate way to kick start Pride season in the city.
- Trough Melbourne – Trough is one of Australia’s most unique parties, with zero attitude, freedom, mind-altering music, and of course, the hot asses!
- Closet Melbourne – Closet celebrates Midsumma with an epic special edition that will blow your mind, an open air party in a spectacular venue.
- Wet on Wellington – This summer is going to be hot, hot, hot! Join hundreds of sexy men for Melbourne’s largest and most infamous pool parties of the season!
Victoria’s Pride (Street Festival)
- Sunday 9th February, 2025 – Victoria’s Pride (Formerly Melbourne Pride) is a street festival taking place in North Yarra. The event is produced by Midsumma and features two stages, live shows and acts.
- Poof Doof Gay on the Lawn – One of Melbourne’s most popular outdoor gay events and takes place in St Kilda Bowls Club following the Victoria Parade.
Gay Melbourne Districts
LGBTQ+ Districts and Nightlife: Melbourne has a vibrant LGBTQ+ scene. While there isn’t one singular “gay district” like in some other cities, there are several areas popular with the LGBTQ+ community:
- Commercial Road, Prahran: Located in the southeastern suburb of Prahran, Commercial Road was historically the heart of Melbourne’s gay scene. While its prominence has somewhat diminished over the years, you can still find several gay bars, clubs, and shops here.
- Collingwood and Fitzroy: These adjoining inner-city suburbs, located to the northeast of the CBD, have become increasingly popular with the LGBTQ+ community. Streets like Smith Street in Collingwood and Brunswick Street in Fitzroy have a number of LGBTQ+-friendly bars, cafes, and shops.
- St. Kilda: Another suburb with a strong LGBTQ+ presence, particularly around Acland and Fitzroy Streets. St. Kilda is also known for its beach, the Palais Theatre, and Luna Park.
Other popular venues in Gay Melbourne
- Mollie’s Bar and Diner – A neighbour to popular bar, Sircuit, Mollie’s is open Wednesday to Sunday and boasts a beautiful heated rooftop and drag bingo and performances. Level 1, 103-105 Smith Street, Fitzroy
- Rainbow House Club – Rainbow House Club is open in Fitzroy from Wednesday to Sunday. They boast a cabaret-set piano bar and drag and DJs on weekends. 125 Smith Street, Fitzroy
- Poof Doof Melbourne – Melbourne’s biggest gay rave is hosted by Poof Doof every Saturday at Chasers nightclub – join the dancing and drag queens to welcome the weekend. Revolver Lane | 231 Chapel Street, Prahran
- Evie’s Bar and Diner – Open Tuesday to Sunday in Fitzroy, this 1980s New York-themed bar and diner is a colourful paradise filled with drag bingo, trivia, and karaoke. 230/232 Gertrude Street, Fitzroy
- The Peel – The Peel in Collingwood is a nightclub for gay men, open Friday and Saturday from 10 pm to 7 am, with three bars, a courtyard, and drag. 46 Peel Street, Collingwood
- The Railway Hotel Windsor – This bottle shop is infamously open 24/7. It has a rooftop bar with city views and Sunday Sessions with DJs, eating, music and dancing. 29 Chapel Street, Windsor
What is Midsumma?
- Melbourne’s annual Queer Celebration is a federation of gay arts and cultural events (more than 180) spread over 85 different venues throughout Melbourne.
- The event also includes nonstop parties together with a competition to find the best National DJ. The winner gets to play at the amazing gay T Dance. Midsumma Melbourne attracts more than 260,000 people from around the world.
Where to stay in Gay Melbourne?
The following hotels are in Melbourne’s CBD (Central Business District), close to the city’s top attractions and a short ride to most of the Midsmma celebrations:
Gay Map of Melbourne
Melbourne’s gay bars & clubs are located in St Kilda and South Yarra south of the city or in Collingwood, Richmond and Fitzroy north of the city and one in Yarraville.
Recommended Hotels in Melbourne By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Melbourne that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
5 Star, Luxury
- 5-Star, City or Bay Views
- Close to the gay district
- Floor-to-ceiling windows
- Offers spacious luxury rooms with stunning views, ideal for an opulent and immersive experience
Lancemore Crossley St
5 Star, Readers Choice
- 5-Star, Fitness Centre, Terrace
- Close to the gay district
- Non-smoking rooms, free WiFi
- Near Princess Theatre, perfect for a stylish stay with fitness facilities and a relaxing terrace
5 Star, Great Value
- 5-Star, Swimming Pool, Sauna
- Close to the gay district
- Spacious, high-speed internet
- In the heart of Melbourne CBD, features a pool and sauna, great for a comfortable, central stay
4 Star, Location
- 4-Star, Heart of Theatre District
- Close to the gay district
- Luxurious bathrooms
- Located on Little Bourke Street, offers artistic decor and easy access to Melbourne’s vibrant culture
Video Of MIDSUMMA FESTIVAL MELBOURNE
Moments from the party!