From: Tuesday, November 21, 2023
To: Saturday, January 6, 2024
While most people think of Sitges as a Summer destination, the village has become a popular Winter escape over the past few years, especially with nearby French visitors and other European tourists.
- Stay right on the Sitges seafront and celebrate the new year with a Sitges sunrise at the Hotel Calipolis featuring spacious rooms, epic views and perfect location.
Sitges in December
- Many people ask if “Sitges is open” during the Winter season. The answer is yes, especially during the holiday season from mid-December until early January.
- Sitges, like most of Spain, celebrates Christmas twice; once on Christmas Day and then during the Epiphany on January 6th.
- Temperatures are mild, compared to Northern Europe, with daytime highs of 15 degrees and lots of Sunshine.
- Head to the beach with a bottle of Cava to kick start your Christmas celebrations. Enjoy a walk along the promenade or take lunch al fresco.
- Catch some spectacular December sunsets before hitting the bars later on. The majority of Sitges gay bars are open throughout the Christmas season.
- Celebrate NYE in style at Casa Vilella, one of the most luxurious boutique hotels in Sitges featuring spacious suites with high end amenities and seafront location.
- From Nov 21st – 5.15pm – Switch on – Over the years, Sitges has had several different styles of Christmas Trees, always non-traditional, in the Village Square, “Cap de La Vila”.
- The Christmas Tree is lit on the last weekend of November, the beginning of Advent.
- Elaborate lights adorn the façade of Sitges Town Hall each year, transforming the building with festive flair.
- The building is further transformed for several days in December with a series of Videomapping light shows set to music. (awaiting dates).
- Remember, Sitges is a small village, so don’t expect the spectacular light displays of larger cities. However, you can always escape to Barcelona and take in some of the most breathtaking light displays in Europe.
- Stay close to all the gay bars and the best restaurants at the Hotel Mim, with a beautiful skybar, modern gym and luxurious spa and indoor pool. Our readers top choice in Sitges.
Bars & Clubs
- Sitges gay bars are open during weekends in December.
- Most of the bars in the centre of the Village along Joan Tarrida open every day, including Parrots Pub, El Horno and Man Bar.
- Dance Clubs such as Soho, Queenz and Vertigo are open at Weekends and daily from St.Stephens/Boxing Day until the Epiphany.
Sitges Winter Market
- Dec 16th and 17th, 2023 – The Sitges Winter Market features products with a distinctive Nordic style.
- Held in a transparent marquee on the town’s sandy shores, at the foot of the Sant Bartomeu (Saint Bartholomew) Church, this market features a program of side activities for the whole family, including children’s fashion shows and a visit from Father Christmas.
- December 25th – Catholic mass is celebrated in Església Sant Joan (close to Balmins Beach) on Christmas Eve and features the Gregorian chant The Song of Sibyl.
- Historically, late night bars opened for New Year’s after midnight, and New Year’s Eve was traditionally celebrated with a dinner in one of Sitges many restaurants.
- Today, most of the larger bars open early on New Year’s Eve, celebrating the arrival of the new year with the TV countdown broadcast live from Madrid and the traditional 12 grapes.
- Every New Year’s Eve, millions of Spaniards eat twelve grapes of luck to attract fortune and prosperity.
- Queenz Bar, Vertigo, Soho, Man Bar/XXL and Parrots Pub host New Year’s eve parties. Festivities typically kick off in earnest at 10 pm.
- Don’t expect fireworks on NYE in Sitges. For that, visit in August during Fiesta Mayor.
- Stay in your own penthouse apartment in Sitges during Christmas. Check out the top 10 apartments and short term rentals in the village.
New Year Restaurants
- Many visitors still stick with the traditional dinner celebration.
- Dinners are pretty elaborate, and reservations should be made well in advance.
- A typical NYE dinner will range from EUR 60 to EUR 130 per person and may include several courses, wine and champagne.
Popular Restaurants during Christmas and New Year
- Le Patio – Poplar restaurant serving a mix of French and international cuisine. The outdoor terrace is covered by a Marquee to host NYE celebrations.
- L’Engle D’Adiranna – Located right on the heart of “Judgement Square”, the centre of Sitges gay life, Adrianna’s restaurant also covers its terrace to host a special NYE dinner.
- Timo’s Bistro – Gay-owned and operated, Timo’s is a small but stylish restaurant in the old town with a special Christmas and New Year menu. Well worth a visit.
- Mama’s Picanteria – Home of the illustrious drag queen “Gigi Capri”, Mama’s offers a fusion of Lebanese, Far Eastern & Latin American dishes at a colourful, eclectic bistro & cocktail bar.
- La Cocina – A modern and fresh fine dining menu awaits visitors at La Cocina, right in the centre of town, just a short walk from the gay bars.
- Komokieras – Located on Calle Espalter, Komokieras offers guests some of the finest steaks and fish dishes in the village with superb service, a large outdoor terrace and an excellent wine list.
- Maricel – On the seafront with views of the famous Church, Maricel is one of Sitges’ longest-running top-tier eateries. A little pricer than others on our list, but worth it.
- Bon Estar – A perfect lunch escape, Bon Estar offers an intimate dining experience with an exciting menu mixing local specialities with international flair.
- Zodiaco 938 94 31 28 – An old-world restaurant with some of the best Paella in town just steps from the bars along Calle Bonaire.
- La PIcara – Take a break from heavy meals and enjoy a delicious Rioja with some lite bites at La Picara, serving everything from Mini Burgers to tiger mussels.
A Villa Escape
- Spend New Year in the privacy of your own villa. Check out the top villas available in Sitges or contact us if you need to organise a special occasion or celebration.
- We can provide a range of services from luxury airport pick-ups, private chefs, tours and more for the perfect NYE experience.
Three Kings – Fiesta de Los Reyes
- January 5th – As the rest of the world returns to work after Christmas, along comes the Three Kings Festival, Spain’s Second Christmas, celebrated on the eve of the Epiphany.
- Three Kings is celebrated throughout Spain in a carnival-like atmosphere, and the event is much more important than Christmas Day in other parts of the world.
- The parade is steeped in traditions, many of which are still upheld today. The Kings and their courtiers (many on horseback) make their way through the streets of Sitges from 5 pm.
- Thousands of sweets are thrown from the floats to eager children (and many adults) as costumed dancers, marching bands, and standard bearers celebrate one of the most important festivals in Spain.
- On January 6th, children awake to Christmas gifts from their favourite king, Balthazar, Gaspar and Melchior.
Recommended Hotels in Sitges
Sitges is a compact village. All of the gay bars are located along a T Junction of Calle Bonaire, Calle Joan Tarrida and Plz Industria.
The Calipolis hotel, Casa Vilella, Hotel Mim, Hotel Medium Park
Where to stay close to all the gay bars
Our top 4 selections with the best rates.
Hotel Mim is our choice when in Sitges,
close to the beach, bars & clubs
For further information and advice on
Christmas & new year Sitges Website
Most of Sitges gay bars are located in the centre of the village just seconds from the beach, on C.Bonaire, Joan Tarrida and Plz Industria. Most hotels are within 5 minutes walk of the centre.
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Sitges that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
Highlights from the best of gay Sitges
Sitges is the perfect destination for a celebration, or for entertaining a large group of friends during key events including Carnival, Bears Week, Pride or one of the other many festivals taking place throughout the year.