From: Awaiting dates
To: Awaiting dates
200,000 participate, The entire population of Iceland is only 500,000
Reykjavik Pride of Hinsegin dagar as it is known in Icelandic, is a festival where the whole nation comes together in celebrating the fact that in Iceland you can enjoy the freedom of being and living as you are. Six day festival filled with exciting events, lectures, queer cruise, gay walks, a family festival, concerts, gallery openings, parties, big queer dance on Saturday after the parade and of course the Pride parade.
- To Be Confirmed: The Opening Ceremony typically takes place at at the Reykjavík Art Museum Hafnarhús and is one of the biggest nights during Reykjavik Pride. The event consists of opening speeches, music, drag queens and more.
The Reykjavik Pride Ball
- To Be Confirmed: The Reykjavik Pride Ball is one of the week’s final events and provides a great night of DJs, live performances, and dancing in a great venue outside the center of the city.
Reykjavik Pride Parade
- Confirmed – August 8th – The pride parade is the main event of the festival and it’s getting bigger and more elaborate each year. The Parade takes place on the final Saturday of the event at 2pm.
- The parade starts at Tækniskólinn and the will walk down Skólavörðustígur, Laugavegur, Bankastærti, Fríkirkjuvegur, Sóleyjargata and will end by the stage in Hljómaskálagarður. Setup starts at 12pm at Tækniskólinn by Skólavörðuholt.
Reykjavik Pride Festival
- After the parade ends, the party continues at Hljómaskálagarður, where the concerts and festivities take place. The program includes some local and international acts, drag queens, DJs and live performances.
- Over 200,000 people participated in the last pride, which is impressive when you consider that the entire population of Iceland is only 500,000.
Gay Reykjavik and where to stay?
Check out our insider gay guide to Reykjavik for tips on there to party, stay and play.
Here are the hotels we recommend that have good reviews and keep you close to all the action:
Recommended Apartments in Reykjavik
1 & 2 Bedrooms
A fully equipped, contemporary kitchen is provided at CenterSpot Apartments, along with modern furnishings and décor. The open-plan living room includes a dining table, seating area and flat-screen TV with international channels and a DVD player.
This apartment includes 2 bedrooms, a living room and a flat-screen TV, an equipped kitchen with a dining area, and 2 bathrooms with a shower, a washing machine and a coffee machine. A balcony and Free WiFi is available in this apartment
1 & 2 Bedrooms
Offering a flat-screen satellite TV, seating area and wooden floors are found in all the bright living rooms at Briet Apartments. Each unit also has a dining area and ironing facilities. And offers free Wi-Fi, a well-equipped kitchen and views over the city.
1 & 2 Bedrooms
Featuring a stylish and contemporary living area, the open-plan, self-catering Planet Apartments apartments have city and mountain views. A fully-equipped kitchen is also standard, and there is the option of allergy-free duvets. With a balcony, free WiFi
Video Of Reykjavik Pride
Highlights of Reykjavik Pride
Recommended Hotels in Reykjavik
The gay scene in Reykjavik is small, but the country is one of the most progressive in terms of gay rights and the people are warm and welcoming, so you can be yourself no matter what type of bar or venue you are in. The small gay district is located at Laugavegur, the long main shopping street in the centre of Reykjavik. Kiki bar and Bravo are the most popular gay venues. The hotels we have recommended are within easy walking distance of the gay scene.
Alda Hotel, 4 Star
Located on Laugavegur shopping street in central Reykjavik, this hotel offers modern rooms with free WiFi access.
Room With A View
4 Star, Apartment Hotel
Located in Reykjavík’s fashionable 101 district, these stylish apartments have flat-screen TVs and modern kitchens
Hotel Fron, 3 Star
Rooms include a flat-screen TV, minibar and in-room safe. Apartments include a private kitchen.
Spacious apartments feature free Wi-Fi, a washing machine and a south-facing balcony with outdoor furniture.