From: Sunday, August 4, 2024
To: Sunday, August 11, 2024
Reykjavik Pride 2024 attracting more than 100,000 visitors.
Reykjavik Pride, or “Hinsegin dagar” as it is known in Icelandic, is a festival where the whole nation comes together in celebrating the fact that in Iceland you can enjoy the freedom of being and living as you are.
- Laugavegur is the long main shopping street at the heart of gay Reykjavik. Here you will find the small but interesting gay scene at the corner of Klapparstigur. Stay at the Hotel Borg an elegant Art Deco-style Hotel Borg overlooking the historic Austurvollur Square in central Reykjavik. Laugavegur shopping street is 200m away.
The Pride Festival
- August 4th to August 11th – Enjoy a week long festival filled with exciting events, lectures, a queer cruise, gay walks, a family festival, concerts, gallery openings, parties, a Pride parade and a big queer post parade dance party on the final Saturday of the weekend.
- Awaiting dates– The Opening Ceremony is one of the biggest nights during Reykjavik Pride. The event consists of opening speeches, music, performances and more. Venue to be confirmed.
The Reykjavik Pride Ball
- Awaiting dates – The Reykjavik Pride Ball is one of the week’s final events and provides a great night of DJs, live performances, and dancing in a great venue outside the center of the city.
Reykjavik Pride Parade
- 10th August 2024 – The pride parade is the main event of the festival and it’s getting bigger and more elaborate each year. The Parade takes place on the final Saturday of the event at 2pm.
- The parade starts at Tækniskólinn and the will walk down Skólavörðustígur, Laugavegur, Bankastærti, Fríkirkjuvegur, Sóleyjargata and will end by the stage in Hljómaskálagarður. Setup starts at 12pm at Tækniskólinn by Skólavörðuholt.
- Stay close to the pride parade and enjoy the suite-life at the Tower Suites Reykjavik, rated “Fabulous” by guests, featuring spacious rooms and suites offering stunning city views.
Reykjavik Pride Festival
- After the parade ends, the party continues at Hljómaskálagarður, where the concerts and festivities take place. The program includes some local and international acts, drag queens, DJs and live performances.
- Enjoy your very own “Superb” rated apartment right by the pride festival at the Residence Aparthotel, featuring stylish apartments with an excellent location.
Popular Gay Bars in Reykjavik
- Kiki Queer Bar – Skólavörðustígur 22: Imagine a place where Björk’s eccentricity meets the pulsating rhythm of the Eurovision Song Contest. That’s Kiki for you! With its neon-lit rainbow exterior, Kiki stands as a vibrant beacon on Reykjavik’s nightlife street. Whether you’re shaking a leg to ABBA’s greatest hits or chilling with an Icelandic beer, this place never disappoints.
- Bravo – Laugavegur 22: Sitting on Reykjavik’s main shopping street, Bravo might seem like an unassuming bar at first. But as night falls, this place morphs into a lively melting pot of locals, tourists, and anyone ready for a fun time. Known for its open-minded clientele and the spontaneous sing-alongs that can erupt at any moment, Bravo is not just gay-friendly but ‘everybody-friendly’.
- Paloma – Naustin 1-3: While not exclusively a gay bar, Paloma’s top floor frequently hosts LGBTQ+ nights, making it a favorite among the community. Da
Gay Reykjavik and where to stay?
Check out our insider gay guide to Reykjavik for tips on there to party, stay and play.
The following hotels are currently trending with our readers. All are close to the city’s top attractions and pride celebrations:
Recommended Hotels in Reykjavik By Bookning
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Reykjavik that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
Canopy by Hilton
4 Star, Luxury
Located just a 2-minute walk from Laugavegur Shopping Street, and Offering a fitness centre and a bar. Each room features minimalist Icelandic design and comes with a coffee machine. A walk-in shower and free toiletries. A desk or seating area & WiFi is free. A buffet breakfast is available every morning & you can taste locally inspired menus at the hotel restaurant.
Alda Hotel Reykjavík
4 Star, Readers Choice
Located on Laugavegur shopping street in central Reykjavik, this hotel offers modern rooms with a flat-screen TV and free WiFi access. Hallgrimskirkja Church is a 5-minute walk away. All guest rooms at Alda Hotel Reykjavík have a private bathroom with a bath or shower, hairdryer and free toiletries. Some rooms feature a private balcony with sea or city views.
4 Star, Great Value
Hotel Odinsve is 400 m from Laekjartorg Square in central Reykjavik. It offers free Wi-Fi internet. All rooms have satellite TV, hardwood floors and a tea/coffee maker. Hotel Odinsve’s rooms also have luxury duvets and pillows by Kronborg. Some rooms offer city views. facilities include a terrace, a café bar and a 2nd floor balcony offering city views.
ION City Hotel
4 Star, Location
Located on Laugavegur shopping street, ION City Hotel offers accommodation in Reykjavík, with a fitness centre and restaurant. The Einar Jónsson Museum and Hallgrímskirkja Church are 500 m away. Certain units have a seating area to relax in after a busy day. Certain rooms feature views of the sea or city. A flat-screen TV with satellite channels is offered.
Video Of Reykjavik Pride
Highlights of Reykjavik Pride