From: Saturday, December 2, 2023
To: Saturday, January 6, 2024
Prague Christmas Markets 2023
The Christmas markets make Prague a heaven for enthusiastic shoppers. The city is beautiful any time of year but is even more enchanting during the holiday season.
- Visiting Prague for the Christmas Markets? Stay on the steps of the Prague Christmas Market at the Grand Hotel Praha, a 4 star with great views of the Square.
- Note – in 2023 Advent falls later than usual, with all 4 weeks falling in December, Sun, Dec 3, 2023 – Sun, Dec 24, 2023.
- Prague’s Christmas Markets (Vánoční trhy) are an essential part of the city’s seasonal traditions. Markets are held across different parts of Prague. The most popular open from Advent until the 6th January.
- They are also open on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
- The busiest two markets are at The Old Town Square and Wenceslas Square and are easy to explore on foot, just 5 minutes walk from one another.
- Other notable markets include Havel’s Market on Kampa Island, on the Square by St George’s Basilica, and Prague Castle.
- Check out the top hotels closest to the Christmas Markets.
Prague Christmas Market – Old Town Square
- Dec 2nd 2022 to Jan 6th 2023 – Experience the most magical atmosphere at the Old Town Square (Staroměstské náměstí), dominated by a giant Christmas tree gleaming with lights and decorations.
- This festive Square comes complete with charming stalls selling various craft gifts and traditional Christmas treats. The market is also home to a lovely nativity scene. Try to arrive at sundown, when you can catch the lighting of the beautiful Christmas tree.
- Don’t forget to climb the stairs to the Observation Bridge and enjoy a bird’s eye view of the market, complete with its brightly decorated wooden huts. The Square is also home to the famous Jan Hus statue and the astronomical clock.
- Opening times: 10 am – 10 pm (booths), 10 am – 12 am (food)
- Stay close to the market in a quiet neighbourhood at The Dominican, a superb rated hotel with stunning rooms, larger than most others in the old town and some great breakfast options.
- Nearest Metro Stop is Staromestska (line A), Namesti Republiky (line B), Mustek (lines A & B)
Traditional Prague Food & Drink
- No trip to a Christmas market is complete without sampling some delicious traditional Czech dishes cooked right in front of you in the Square. Popular dishes include large hams roasted on spits (Pražská Šunka) barbecue sausages (klobása); flatbread topped with garlic, cheese and ketchup (langoš); smoked meat dumplings (knedlíky plněné uzeným masem); sweet dumplings (sladké knedlíky); and pancakes (palačinky).
- Wash it all down with some local hot drinks, including mulled wine (svařák); hot chocolate (horká čokoláda); honey wine (Medovina); or grog, a mixture of rum, water, lemon and sugar.
Wenceslas Square Christmas Market
- Another famous market is in the lower part of Wenceslas Square (Václavské náměstí)/ The market is less well-known than the old town square, however it still has its charms, with great food stalls, lots of traditional toy vendors and an evening light show.
- The Jalta Boutique Hotel is right on the steps of the Wenceslas Square Christmas Market. Our readers consistently rate it for its great location, friendly staff and delicious breakfasts.
- The nearest Metro Stop is Muzeum station (line A & C), or Mustek station (line A & B)
Republic Square (Náměstí Republiky) Christmas Market
- The Republic Square market is right in front of the Palladium shopping centre, close to the Old Customs House.
- One of the city’s smallest markets, Republic Square market is full of tiny wooden stalls offering goods at much lower prices than the busier tourist spots. Try the delicious roast chestnuts.
- Nearest Metro Stop is Náměstí Republiky (line B)
Prague Castle Christmas Market, Prazsky Hrad
- Take a trip to the top of Prague Castle for an epic Christmas experience. Offering stunning views of the snow-covered city, the market has a bustling Christmas atmosphere with over 70 different stalls spread across St. George’s Square. The market is famous for its eclectic range of gifts, unique to the Castle.
- Prague Castle is the most popular attraction in the city, located across the Vltava River. The castle offers impressive views of the historic city centre and is open daily from 9 am – 7 pm.
- Stay at the Three Storks, a 5 Star hotel right by Prague Castle, for a truly luxurious escape. The hotel comes complete with design furniture, ultra-modern bathrooms and spacious bedrooms.
- Nearest Metri Stio is Malostranská (line A), or Hradčanská (line A)
Peace Square Christmas Market
- Head to the Vinohrady district, Prague’s friendly gay neighbourhood for the Peace Market. The market is popular with locals and offers one of the most authentic Czech experiences, in our opinion.
- The market is famous for its ceramic and wooden craft gifts. It is also one of the first markets to open each year, typically the week before Advent in mid-November.
- The nearest Metro Stop is Náměstí Míru (line A)
Tyl’s Square Market
- Finally, Tyl’s Square market is also in the Vinohrady district. This charming small market is teeming with festive fun and traditional Czech gifts produced by boutique and independent sellers, perfect for a more authentic ambience.
- The market is open from 10 am – 7 pm.
- The nearest Metro Stop is Náměstí Míru (line A)
Christmas Magic of Prague with Personal Prague Guide
- Save yourself some time, and get acquainted with the best markets. Experience the best of the festivities on a Christmas tour that allows you to overcome the language barrier and ensures you feel oriented in the city’s Christmas markets. Plus, taking a private tour means that you’ll be free to tweak your itinerary.
Christmas Queens 2023: HoliSlay Drag Show
- The Christmas Queens of 2023 features a variety of local and foreign Drag entertainers — and brings them together for a jam-packed three-hour holiday spectacular unlike any other.
- Featuring a dazzling array of yuletide classics, complete with their own naughty twist. The Queens and Kings are rolling out the red Christmas carpet this year like never before.
- The event takes place in District 7, an 8-minute ride from the Old Town.
Getting around Gay Prague
Stay in Prague’s old town, the perfect base for exploring the city. Prague’s gay bars and clubs are spread across the city, but most are within walking distance from the old town, and the others are just a short taxi ride away.
Here are the Hotels we recommend that keep you close to both the markets and the city’s busy gay scene:
Gay Map of Prague
There is no main gay village or district in Prague. Instead the bars are spread out over town areas, mainly in the city centre and in the Vinohrady district.
Recommended Hotels in Prague By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Prague that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
5 Star, Location
Michelangelo Grand Hotel is conveniently located in the historic town centre, just a few steps from famous Wenceslas Square, in one of the most attractive areas of Prague. All major points of interest are located within easy walking distance. All rooms are equipped with stylish period furniture and feature anti-allergic bedding. Connecting rooms for large families
5 Star, Luxury
The 5-star boutique hotel Ventana enjoys a superb location next to the Old Town Square with the Orloj Astronomical Clock. It offers a rich breakfast and free internet. In the historic, Neo-Renaissance-style palace you can find elegantly furnished rooms with high ceilings and marble bathrooms. All air-conditioned rooms are also equipped with a minibar, a safety deposit box and satellite TV.
Hotel Seven Days
4 Star, Readers Choice
Set in a 19th-century building in the heritage-protected area, Boutique Hotel Seven Days is 200 m away from Prague National Museum. The restaurant features a winter garden and the bar has international TV channels. Offers luxurious, air-conditioned rooms with free wired internet access. Non-smoking and soundproofed. The bathrooms come with hairdryers and showers or bathtubs.
4 Star, Great Value
Hotel Rott is centrally situated on the historical Malé Naměstí (Little Square), next to the famous Old Town Square. It offers elegant, air-conditioned rooms and a modern restaurant. Free WiFi is available in the entire hotel. The Rott mixes its historic setting with modern rooms offering satellite TV and free WiFi internet access. A rich buffet breakfast is served every morning.
Prague Christmas Markets
Highlights from a Christmas Night Prague