From: Awaiting dates
To: Awaiting dates
Africa’s most colourful gay event – in the heart of the Garden Route
Set in “South Africa’s Favourite Town of the Year”, the spectacularly colourful affair basically shuts down the tranquil Garden Route hub with five raucous days of shows, entertainment, a mini-market and heaps of over-the-top, flamboyant fun.
- The Mardi Gras weekend is very popular. Knysna is a small town and hotels are limited. The best ones fill up fast, so book well in advance. Stay at the Villa Castollini, host venue for several of the parties.
- Knysna is a stunning five and a half hour drive from Cape Town or one hour flight to George GRJ airport and then one hour shuttle.
Unquestionably a global highlight for the LGBTQ community, the festive carnival also appeals to anyone else who wants to celebrate diversity and acceptance.
Pink Loerie Festival Program
- Awaiting the 2022 program.
- Pink Loerie typically kicks off on Thursday with a cocktail party at Knysna Fine Art. Other events include a Bears, Beer and Drag event. Vinyl on Main hosts the Meet and Greet Party to make sure everybody gets to know each other.
- The VIP Dinner and Fundraising Auction will be hosted at Villa Castollini, while the very popular Mr & Miss Gay Mardi Gras will take place at Vinyl on Main, followed by the official S&M Party at the same venue.
The Pink Loerie Concerts
- The Saturday kicks off with two events: PinkFootFWD for Brenton, a fun morning filled with sport activities and music, and the Pink Loerie #KnysnaRises Fundraising Concert at the Loerie Park Sport Stadium, which will feature a number of drag acts and musicians.
The Pink Loerie Parade
- The always popular street parade starts at 3pm on Sunday and will proceed from Queen Street to Pledge Square and back, followed by a street party.
- Drydock Food Co. will host an After Parade Sunset Ibiza Party for the more mature in the crowd, while the official after party is at Vinyl on Main.
- Drydock Food Co – Fine dining restaurant, offering a mouth-watering array of the freshest seafood, tempting salads, fusion cuisine and sinful desserts.
- Vinyl on Main – Small, independent, veteran-owned and operated record store and host to special pop-up parties.
- Villa Castollini – a magnificent Tuscan-style luxury retreat set at the top of Western Head. It features an outdoor pool and a library.
- Knysna Fine Art – Art in various media from South Africa & around the world is showcased in a spacious, historic home.
Where to stay in Knysna
The following hotels are currently trending with our readers. All are close to the Mardi Gras festivities:
Video Of Pink Loerie Festival
Including some great aerial footage!
Recommended Hotels in Knsyna By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Knsyna that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
Turbine Hotel & Spa
5 Star, Luxury
This former power station is located in Knysna and offers sunny suites with an iPod docking station and views of the Knysna Lagoon. The spacious sun deck has an outdoor pool. The rooms are elegantly decorated with light fabrics and parquet floors. The suites have a satellite LCD TV and extra long beds. A full English breakfast is available each morning
Knysna River Club
4 Star, Readers Choice
Knysna River Club offers luxury chalets on the edge of Knysna Lagoon, in the heart of the Garden Route. It offers a private jetty and a pool surrounded by trees. The chalets of Knysna River Club are either set amongst forest ferns with garden view or along the waterfront, offering spectacular views of the Lagoon. All chalets include a fully-equipped kitchen and a private balcony.
Thesen Island House
4 Star, Great Value
The accommodation will provide you with a TV and a balcony. There is a full kitchen with a dishwasher and a microwave. Featuring a shower, private bathrooms also come with a bath and a bath or shower. You can enjoy sea view and lake view from all the rooms. At Thesen Island Holiday House you will find a garden, barbecue facilities and a terrace
The Lofts Boutique
4 Star, Location
Situated at the tip of Thesens Island, and offering an outdoor splash pool overlooking the Knysna Lagoon. Free private, covered parking. The Lofts Boutique Hotel offers rooms decorated with wooden beams. Some rooms have large sliding doors opening to a private balcony or patio. The rooms come with satellite TV, tea/coffee maker and extra long beds.