From: Saturday, December 16, 2023
To: Saturday, December 16, 2023
The Mother City Queer Project Returns 2023
The MCQP party takes place in December in Cape Town. Each year the theme is different with elaborate costumes, amazing light and sound, guest DJs and outrageous drag acts.
- Visiting Cape Town for Christmas? Stay close to the bars in DeWaterkant at The Old Foundry Hotel, featuring stylish designer rooms and superb breakfasts in an excellent location.
- The Next Event – December 16th 2023, 12pm to 2am – The Mother City Queer Project (or MCQP for short), began in 1994 and has become a highlight on the Cape Town gay calendar.
- The party has grown into South Africa’s biggest dress-to-theme party attended by all sorts of fun-loving creative people, from all over the world.
- A combination of music festival, circuit party, burlesque cabaret, drag variety show, circus, and Viennese ball, the event attracts more than 10,000 visitors.
- Each year the party has a different theme with guest DJs, amazing decor and over the top costumes. Previous themes have included ‘Bollywood,’ ‘The Love Ball,’ ‘Drag Race,’ and many more.
- Upgrade your Cape Town experience at The Silo Hotel, rated “Exceptional” by guests featuring designer rooms, high-end amenities, stunning views and superb service.
- The theme for 2023 is “Back to the future” a nod to the events return after having last been held in 2019.
- Embrace the Present: Show off your most dazzling interpretations of the “Back to the Future” theme, whether it’s a Victorian steampunk ensemble, a groovy disco look, or futuristic cyberpunk fashion. The possibilities are as endless as time itself.
- Tamara Dey, the First Lady of Kwaito, the heartbeat of township pop, and the First Lady of Song, who says, “MCQP is one of the most legendary and iconic parties in Cape Town.
- Vinyl queen Abby Nurock whose genre-defying sounds captivate audiences globally.
- With residences at top clubs and his mixes on repeat at radio stations around the country, Juran is ready to set the stage on fire.
- Lelowhatsgood, a cultural disruptor and innovator whose diverse, genre-bending sounds and music have seen him taking top billing on stages worldwide from Rocking the Daisies and Ultra to Tresor Berlin – all while celebrating and representing queer culture.
- From Johannesburg’s hottest queer clubs to international stages like the legendary Buddha Bar and Cafe Del Mar, DJ Groovy Q’s fusion of Turbo House, Vocal Garage, and Disco keeps dancefloors pumping.
- A Disco, Electro-House and Vogue music guru, LOTION’s talents are demanded by major events like AFROPUNK, DragCon South Africa and Boiler Room.
- An icon on the local and global drag scene, Manila von Teez has been wowing crowds since 2011, with career highlights including being a runner up on SA’s Got Talent.
- Lilly Slaptsilli has kept audiences entertained over the past 28 years with sold-out shows across the country.
- For over a decade, 3D (aka the 3 Divas) Kat Gilardi, Angel Lalamore and Jayde Kay Johnson have been entertaining audiences to standing ovations, especially for their lekker singalongs.
- Ina Propriette, or as some call her, ‘Art on Legs’, is a drag darling who delivers far more than just an ordinary show but an entire experience spanning power ballads, Vogue dips, classic theatre cabaret and conceptual drag art.
- Cabo Beach Club – A European-style beach club where luxury & serenity collide, under the African sky, in the pristine setting of the surrounding Victoria & Alfred Waterfront.
- The club will be transformed into a realm where the past, present and future collide in a spectacular explosion of nostalgia and imagination.
- Patrons can expect an exhibition of entertainment, live performances and refreshments as they drink in the festivities throughout the night.
- The Waterfront is a 12-minute walk or 4-minute taxi from DeWaterkant.
- Check out the top hotels close to the V&A Waterfront.
Gay Cape Town
- De Waterkant – Often dubbed Cape Town’s ‘Pink District’, De Waterkant is a lively and vibrant area with a plethora of LGBTQ+-friendly bars, restaurants, and shops. Cobbled streets, colorful houses, and a European-esque vibe set the scene.
- Green Point: Just a stone’s throw away from De Waterkant, Green Point offers a mix of nightlife, beautiful parks, and a chill atmosphere.
Recommended Hotels in Cape Town
The following hotels are popular with our visitors to Cape Town and are close to the city’s gay bars and top attractions. They are also gay-friendly.
Gay Map of Cape Town
Most of the gay bars are located in the De Waterkant area, surrounded by some lovely restaurants and only a short walk to the shopping streets, we have chosen some hotels and apartment that keep you in the hard of all the action.
Recommended Apartments and villas in Cape Town
Geneva Drive Villa
Geneva Drive Villa Offers air conditioned accommodation with 7 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms, a living room, a dining area and a well-appointed kitchen with a dishwasher, and washing machine. An outdoor swimming pool. Free WiFi & free private parking
Merridew Villa is a stylish 6-bedroom villa, five of the six bedrooms are en suite and some of them have a balcony with ocean views, a fully equipped kitchen and separate lounge areas for guests to relax in. as well as an outdoor pool.
This secure and luxurious mansion includes a maid and bulter service. It is equipped with a heated pool, private gym, home cinema and 6 bedrooms. Guests can enjoy a drink at the bar and there is a pool table and 3 lounges for relaxation.
Clifton Private Beach
Clifton Private Beach Villa featuring an outdoor swimming pool and a bar, a full kitchen with a dishwasher, a living room with a seating area and a dining area, 3 bedrooms, and 3 bathrooms This villa has a garden, barbecue facilities, free WiFi and free private parking.
Video Of MCQP Cape Town
Highlights of the party!
Recommended Hotels in Cape Town By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking
We have chosen hotels in Cape Town that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
The Table Bay
5 Star, Luxury
The Table Bay Hotel is a 5-star luxury hotel situated at the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town. It boasts beautiful views of the working harbor, Table Mountain and the Atlantic Ocean. It features a pool and a spa. Each air-conditioned room comes equipped with a minibar, flat-screen satellite TV and tea-and-coffee-making facilities. The private bathroom includes a bath and shower with free toiletries.
5 Star, Stylish
The Westin Cape Town’s airy rooms have deluxe bedding and floor-to-ceiling windows with views over Cape Town. Selected rooms have a spacious lounge area, all rooms with free Wi-Fi and a flat-screen TV. Guests can enjoy a vigorous work-out in the well-equipped gym which boasts panoramic city views. The outdoor pool is drenched in sunshine
The Capital Mirage
5 Star, Readers Choice
Offering a rooftop bar and restaurant, The Capital Mirage Hotel is conveniently situated between Cape Town’s city centre and trendy De Waterkant. Free WiFi and parking are available. The spacious suites and apartments offer a flat-screen TV with satellite channels, kitchen facilities and bathrooms with bath and shower. Air-conditioned and fitted with a hairdryer
Dock House Boutique
5 Star, Modern Classic
Situated just opposite the V&A Waterfront’s timeball tower, with panoramic views of the harbour and its surroundings. Enjoy breakfast in the morning room, followed by a swim in the outdoor pool. Classic décor and a spacious layout make the guest rooms and suites at Dock House a welcome retreat after a busy day. With stunning views of the waterfront from your balcony.