From: Saturday, January 29, 2022
To: Saturday, January 29, 2022
Gasparilla Invasion & Parade Tampa 2022
Land, ho! Set sail for Tampa, shouts the legendary pirate Jose Gaspar as his band of buccaneers sail across the Hillsborough Bay and return to the City of Tampa.
On Saturday, January 29, at 11:30 A.M., the only fully-rigged pirate ship in the world, the Jose Gasparilla, emerges at the south end of Hillsborough Bay followed by hundreds if not thousands of boats. The vibrant Gasparilla Flotilla then makes its way across Hillsborough Bay and into Seddon Channel (between Davis Island & Harbour Island) and the Gasparilla Invasion has begun!
Amidst a volley of cannon fire, the City is defenseless.
In this annual re-enactment of Tampa’s historic pirate invasion, the Gasparilla Flotilla – led by the Jose Gasparilla filled to the crow’s nest with swashbuckling YMKG pirates – creates a spectacular sight. When the Jose Gasparilla docks at the Tampa Convention Center (1:00 P.M.), the Mayor of Tampa surrenders the Key to the City to the Captain of Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla.
With the Key to the City in hand, the Krewe celebrates their victory in a Parade of Pirates down Bayshore Boulevard.
The invasion is free to the public. Tickets are available for Gasparilla Invasion Brunch. The city fills up for this event and is one of the annual highlights of the event calendar. Stay at the Tampa Marriot Water Street for great views of the parade or close to all the action, should you decide to venture out and view the event on the harbor.
GASPARILLA INVASION BRUNCH
- Time: 9:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Location: Tampa Convention Center 333 S. Franklin Street, Tampa
- The Gasparilla Invasion Brunch at the Tampa Convention Center provides the best view in town of the historic Gasparilla Invasion, as the pirates of Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla sail up Seddon Channel aboard the Jose Gasparilla accompanied by a majestic flotilla, docking tableside at 1 p.m. at the Tampa Convention Center.
- The Gasparilla Invasion Brunch, includes live entertainment, a buffet brunch with cash bar and reserved table seating for one of the most unique and colorful spectacles found anywhere in the world.
- Parking is available at the Tampa Convention Center and throughout downtown, but plan to arrive early as parking fills up quickly for the event. Admission Reserved ticket required for adults and for children over the age of two. Shipping and handling fees apply. Purchase tickets at Gasparilla Treasures™.
THE GASPARILLA INVASION
- Time: 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Route: The Jose Gasparilla sets sail at the south end of Hillsborough Bay at 11:30 A.M., sails north to Seddon Channel (between Davis Island and Harbour Island), continues north and docks at the Tampa Convention Center at 1:00 P.M.
- Viewing: The best seats for the invasion are at the Gasparilla Invasion Brunch at the Convention Center (reserved ticket required and available for purchase at Gasparilla Treasures™). However, there are many other places in downtown Tampa – waterfront hotels, places along Davis Island and Harbour Island – to view this spectacular event!
THE VICTORY PARADE
- Time: 2pm
- Following another successful invasion by the pirates of Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla, the focus shifts to beautiful Bayshore Boulevard and South Ashley Drive in downtown Tampa. After successfully capturing the Key to the City (once again), the pirates of Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla celebrate with a victory parade that begins at 2 p.m. at Bay to Bay and Bayshore.
- The 4.5 mile Gasparilla Parade of the Pirates, which has been presented by Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla annually since 1904, winds its way along Hillsboro Bay into downtown Tampa, with over 140 units – featuring one-hundred three (103) floats, three (3) marching bands and over fifty (50) participating social organizations (i.e. krewes).
- The GaYbor District is the most well-known LGBTQ neighborhood in the Tampa Bay area. Part of the historic Ybor City neighborhood, the GaYbor District includes many gay bars, nightclubs, shops, restaurants, and other businesses. The “gayborhood” is entered primarily around the intersection of 15th Street and 8th Avenue.
- The Hotel Haya is a great 4 star option with a superb pool, perfect for chilling out during the day and close to all the night time action in the bars.
Where to stay?
Here are the Hotels we recommend that keep you close to all the action in Gay Tampa.
Recommended Apartments in Tampa Bay
The holiday home features 3 bedrooms, a TV and a fully equipped kitchen that provides guests with a dishwasher, a microwave, a washing machine, a fridge and an oven. features air-conditioned accommodation with a patio and free WiFi
The air-conditioned holiday home is composed of 4 separate bedrooms, a fully equipped kitchen with a dishwasher and a microwave, and 2 bathrooms. and a living room with flat screen TV, WiFi is available in all areas and is free of charge
Welcome to Ybor City in Tampa’s historic district in the heart of the town, walking distance to all the sights, flavors and sounds Ybor has to offer. Next to Tampa’s finest restaurants, cigar bars, live music venues, museums and so much more!
Stunning Air conditioned Studio Apartment with a living room and flat screen TV the sleeping area offers a double bed, a fully equipped kitchen with cooker and fridge and Dishwasher. WiFi is available in all areas and is free of charge.
Recommended Hotels in Tampa Bay
The gay neighbourhood of Tampa is based in the city’s historic district called “Ybor City”, specifically along 7th Avenue. Here you will find the main gay clubs, bars and bathhouses of Tampa
4 Star – Central Location
Hilton Tampa Downtown features a rooftop heated outdoor pool and hot tub in addition to a 24-hour fitness centre, free WiFi access, and a 32-inch flat-screen cable TV, iPod® docking station,
Holiday Inn Express
3 Star – Great Amenities
All rooms are equipped with a microwave, fridge, a coffee machine, free toiletries and a desk. An American breakfast is served daily. Guests can enjoy the on-site, outdoor pool during their stay
Hilton Garden Inn
3 Star, Luxury
Situated one block from the Ybor City, Tampa’s shopping, dining and entertainment district, this hotel features an outdoor pool. Guest rooms include cable TV with pay-per-view movies.
Hampton Inn & Suites
3 Star – Perfect Location
Situated in historic, Florida, this non-smoking hotel features an outdoor pool and a transfer service within 5 km, including to Port Tampa Bay. Free WiFi and a daily hot breakfast buffet are provided