From: Saturday, August 17, 2024
To: Sunday, August 18, 2024
Chicago Air and Water Show Weekend 2024
The Chicago Air and Water Show is the oldest and largest show of this kind in the United States and is one of the biggest Summer parties in the city.
- For some of the best views of the show from your hotel, stay at The Hotel Lincoln, located on the park, bear both beaches and steps from some of the city’s best restaurants and viewing spots.
The Water Show
- Head over to the Navy Pier at the shores of Lake Michigan to see spectacular planes flying above, and boats swimming around during the Chicago Air and Water Show. The events end with a stunning firework display.
- The Chicago Air and Water Show an impressive event with the participation of the best civil and military pilots who fly civil planes side by side with military planes in aerobatic shows, free fall demonstrations, marine and air rescue exercises.
- The festival coincides with the annual American Lobster Fest so dine out in style while watching the show.
- The Chicago Air and Water Show is the largest free of charge show of its kind in the United States. It has been held every year since 1959 and is Chicago’s second most popular public festival. Every year it attracts about 2 million spectators.
- The show is presented by the City of Chicago and can be observed at the lakefront starting from Fullerton to Oak Street.
The best places to watch the Chicago Air and Water Show
- The North Avenue Beach is the most popular spot, where grandstand seats for the water show are located. The event runs from 10am to 3pm. Many venues across the city host special viewing parties:
- Willis Tower’s private business club The Metropolitan will host a swanky event for the Air Show, inviting folks to scale the Tower and see the show at eye-level with the flyers.
- At the east end of Navy Pier, the Miller Lite Beer Garden will host a viewing party for the Air Show on Saturday and Sunday.
- Inside the Lincoln Park Zoo, the Patio at Cafe Brauer will offer a beer special — with any purchase — to commemorate the Air and Water Show.
- Head to the Sand Bar Beer Garden pop-up at the northeast corner of the North Avenue Beach Boathouse from 10:30 a.m. through 3:30 p.m. Friday through Sunday for the Air and Water Show. It’s the only beachfront space that permits alcohol during the event.
- Shore Club’s brunch and a premium open bar will both be available from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
- Just north of North Avenue Beach, Theater on the Lake offers another water-adjacent viewing option, with great sight lines from its three-acre space. The party runs from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Many of the gay bars in Boystown will host special theme nights during the event. Expect to see lots of men in uniform and get ready to fly!
Trending Hotels in Chicago
The following Chicago Hotels are currently trending with our readers. All are close to the city’s top attractions and a short ride way from the gay bars in Northalsted.
Gay Map of Chicago
The area in Chicago with the most gay bars is Boys town offering over 20 bar, we have chosen hotels close to this area that have good revues on bookings.
Recommended Hotels in Chicago By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Chicago that keep you close to all the shops, restaurants & bars
The Peninsula Chicago
5 Star, Luxury
Located along the Magnificent Mile, this Chicago hotel is 5 minutes’ walk from the Museum of Contemporary Art. The hotel offers a full-service Asian-inspired spa, award-winning restaurants, and spacious luxury guest rooms with city views. A 42-inch flat-screen TV and free WiFi
The Silversmith Hotel
4 Star, Readers Choice
Located in the centre of the Loop, near Chicago’s theater and financial district, this hotel is close to dining, shopping, and many major attractions. Spacious rooms include cable TV and free WiFi. Featuring a contemporary design, each room includes a refrigerator and coffeemaker
Gray Hotel Chicago
4 Star, Great Value
Every room at Kimpton Gray Hotel includes a flat-screen TV, iPod docking station & a private bathroom with bathrobes and luxury Atelier Bloem bath products. Select rooms offer a separate living room & spa bath. Boleo offers breathtaking rooftop views alongside Latin-inspired cocktails & cuisine.
4 Star, Location
Located in the Chicago city centre, this luxury boutique hotel boasts an on-site restaurant and WiFi access. Shopping and dining on Michigan Avenue is 2 minutes’ walk away. A flat-screen cable TV and a mini bar are offered in every modern guest room
Top Gay Neighbourhoods in Chicago
Chicago, affectionately known as the “Windy City,” is a must-visit destination for LGBTQ+ travellers seeking a vibrant, welcoming, and diverse experience. The city is home to Northalsted (formerly Boystown), one of the first officially recognized gay villages in the United States. Remember, Chicago has an efficient public transit system, so you’ll have easy access to all the city offers no matter where you stay.
Northalsted | The Gay Village
- Located in the Lakeview East neighbourhood of Chicago, 5 miles north of downtown Chicago, or what locals refer to as “The Loop”.
- Northalsted is a hub for LGBTQ+ life and culture in Chicago, hosting Market Days and Chicago Pride.
- Easy to get to from downtown via public transit, 30 minutes by the CTA “L” train’s Red or Brown lines.
- Discover the best things to see and do in Chicago
The heart of Chicago’s downtown and home to some of its most iconic landmarks with great hotels.
A great place to stay if you’re a foodie or a fan of the arts, and close to the city’s best shopping.