From: Friday, December 8, 2023
To: Sunday, January 7, 2024
Antwerp Christmas Markets 2024
Antwerp’s beautiful Christmas market opens each year from the beginning of December until the first week of January.
- Stay close to the markets and enjoy a luxurious Christmas Escape at the Gulde Schoen Suite Hotel, rated “Superb” by guests offering high-end designer rooms and world-class service, just 200m from the Groenplaats Christmas markets.
- Antwerp’s Christmas Markets are some of the country’s most spectacular and are spread across different squares in the city’s historic district.
- The Christmas markets take over The Grote Market, Suikerrui, Handschoenmarkt, The Groenplaats and Steenplein on the grounds of Antwerp Steen castle.
- Opening hours are from 12 pm till 22.00 Sunday to Thursday and from 12 pm till 0.00 am on Friday and Saturday.
- The markets feature more than 100 different stalls, serving delicious snacks and treats, including hot chocolate, gluhwein, Belgian waffles and smoutebollen (a delightful type of beignet or round doughnut ball)
The Grote Market
- Enjoy the stunning Christmas Tree and lights at The Grote Market and shop for handmade goods and artisanal Belgian foods.
- Stay steps from the Grote Market at Hotel Rubens, our readers’ top pick in Antwerp and rated “Fabulous”, featuring the perfect location, stylish rooms and delicious breakfasts.
- The Grote Market or Town Square is also close to most of the city’s busiest gay bars, which host special festive parties with elaborate decorations and live entertainment.
- For the ultimate Antwerp Christmas experience, try ice skating at the rink on the Groenplaats, followed by some delicious food and drink at one of the many stands nearby.
Suikerrui to the Steenplein
- Follow the lines of chalets and festive stalls and browse for authentic gifts as you take in the beautiful lights and decorations along the river.
- Continue, and at the end, take a ride on the Ferris wheel at the Scheldt by the castle, offering beautiful river views of the market.
Lights at Antwerp Zoo
- Another season highlight includes “China Light” a unique nighttime light experience at Antwerp Zoo.
Getting to Antwerp Christmas Markets.
- Antwerp’s Deurne Airport Airport has some direct flights from European Capitals.
- Many visitors arrive via Brussels airport, which is just 30 minutes away. Many Antwerp visitors combine a trip to Brussels and take in the beautiful Brussels Christmas Markets.
- Four trains to Antwerp per hour connect to the Brussels North, Brussels Central and Brussels Midi stations.
- The direct Brussels to Antwerp Airport Express leaves every hour between 5 am (7 am Sundays) and midnight daily.
Where to stay in Antwerp during Christmas?
The following hotels are currently popular with our readers. All are close to the city’s Christmas markets.
Gay Map of Antwerp
Antwerp is small and compact having a beautifully preserved old town in the centre. Having said that bars and clubs (more than 30) are spread out around the city, so its best to find a hotel close to the centre and journey out to your preferred destination. The main club, Red & Blue is located in the harbour. Famous gay monthly parties Studio 54 and Café de Love attract guys from all over Europe so book your accommodation in advance.
Top Gay Neighbourhoods in Antwerp
Antwerp, Belgium, has a thriving LGBTQ+ community and is known for being a welcoming & hosts several LGBTQ+ events and festivals throughout the year. The most prominent of these is Antwerp Pride, which typically takes place in August. Antwerp Pride includes a colorful and lively parade, parties, cultural events, and a sense of celebration and inclusivity that brings together locals and visitors alike.
Historic Center | In the hart of city centre
- Antwerp’s historic center has a diverse range of bars and clubs, many of which are gay or gay friendly.
- This area is bustling with activity, and you’ll likely find a mix of people from various backgrounds.
- Antwerp’s fashion district is also located in this area, making it perfect for shopping enthusiasts.
- It’s a great area for tourists, with numerous shops, restaurants, and cultural attractions.
- Discover the best things to see and do in Barcelona
Antwerp’s Red Light District is home to several gay bars and clubs. It can be a lively area for nightlife, offering a mix of entertainment options.
This trendy district is home to many bars & clubs, including gay venues. You can find a mix of nightlife options, from stylish cocktail bars to dance clubs.
Recommended Hotels in Antwerp By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Antwerp that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
Hotel Julien, 4 Star
The guest rooms are situated in 2 historic buildings and have a modern style. They are equipped with a bath or rain shower and free Wi-Fi. You can relax in the lounge area with books and magazines or have a drink in the bar. The spa is located in the 16th century cellars and offers a steam bath, sauna and rain shower.
4 Star, Very Central
This hotel offers light and spacious rooms as well as a luxurious suite. All units have individual climate control as well as a flat-screen TV. Some of the deluxe rooms and suites also come with a private terrace. The breakfast buffet offers a variety of hot and cold choices
Hilton Hotel, 4 Star
Shopping & Partying
The spacious, air-conditioned rooms at Hilton Antwerp Old Town feature Serenity bedding and have a 32-inch flat-screen TV. Each room includes a large desk with an ergonomic chair and a marble bathroom with a bath and separate shower. Coffee and tea facilities are provided.
Hotel Matelote, 3 Star
Boutique & Central
This elegant boutique hotel offers luxurious design with 16th century architecture, a 2-minute walk from Grand Place. Each of the rooms at hotel Matelote benefits from free wired internet and a flat-screen TV. “They also have coffee, tea making facilities and mineral water. The bathrooms include The Spa Collection toiletries.