Gay Vallarta – Mexico’s Number One Gay Destination!
Gay Puerto Vallarta, Mexico’s number one gay destination, is a beach-lovers paradise and home to a charming gay neighbourhood, great bars, a lively circuit scene and superb dining. It is safe, warm and welcoming – all the perfect ingredients needed for the perfect tropical escape.
Puerto Vallarta, or PV to those in the know, is a true gay paradise by the Pacific Ocean. This bustling small city of cobbled streets is nestled between Bahía de Banderas and the tropical forests of the nearby Sierra Madre mountains.
Vallarta has stunning beaches and a charming romantic old town. Restaurants serve authentic Mexican and International cuisine with style. Add to this a throbbing, vibrant gay bar scene and it’s no wonder Puerto Vallarta is North America’s number-one gay beach destination.
Puerto Vallarta attracts a lot of repeat visitors, mostly gay men. And while time seems to pass a little slower, visitors will find something new during each trip. The beach resort is in a constant state of reinvention while still maintaining that real-town feeling with a local community and a warm welcome.
The combination of history, reinvention and the ever-evolving gay scene make Puerto Vallarta an enduring escape.
Be yourself in Puerto Vallarta’s Zona Romantic, home to the gay bars, beaches and clubs.
Where is the gay area in Puerto Vallarta?
The Romantic Zone – Zona Romantica
- Puerto Vallarta is divided into three zones, Zona Romantica, El Centro and The Hotel Zone. (There are several others, but from a tourist perspective, these three zones are the ones you will visit the most).
- Most of Puerto Vallarta’s gay hotels and resorts are in the Romantic Zone (Old Town) and Ampas districts, two neighbourhoods comprising the city’s gay area.
- The epicentre of the gay neighbourhood lies at the intersection of Lázaro Cárdenas & Ignacio L. Vallarta streets, home to most of Puerto Vallarta’s gay bars.
- Staying in the Zona Romantica is super convenient as it is close to most of Vallarta’s gay bars, clubs and beautiful gay beaches.
- Stay close to the gay beach and the bars at the Vallarta Shores Hotel, offering stylish suites in a great location. Rated “Superb” by guests.
Getting to and around Puerto Vallarta
- With direct flights from most major U.S. airports, Puerto Vallarta is easy to reach, and the Zona Romantica city centre is just a half-hour from PVR Airport.
- The neighbourhood is compact and easy to navigate, and taxis are cheap and plentiful. Don’t worry about how short your journey might be; taxis will take you where you want to go; incredibly convenient if your hotel is on one of the many steep side streets.
- Uber is widely available throughout Gay Puerto Vallarta. Rides are inexpensive and come quickly. (Note, Ubers are not allowed to pick up riders in the immediate area (drop-offs, however, are permitted).
- Most of the recommended restaurants are further from the historic district of Emiliano Zapata. Take a taxi. They are cheap and plentiful.
- Gay Travelers are advised to pay in Mexican pesos for the best rate and agree on the fare before you get in the cab.
- El Centro is home to some great restaurants and the main boardwalk.
- The Hotel Zone is a 10-minute taxi ride from the Romantic Zone and caters to all-inclusive visitors and those seeking a more resort-style escape.
Where to stay in Gay Puerto Vallarta?
From luxury hotels to charming guest houses and apartments, discover our top recommendations.
From the rooftop pools at the Miramar, to Jets Gay Hostel, Puerto Vallarta has a wide range of places to stay.
Puerto Vallarta Gay Hotels & Gay Friendly Options
While there is no shortage of places to stay in Vallarta, the Romantic Zone is the most popular district. The neighbourhood is home to 30+ hotels and boutique accommodation providers and more than 150 different apartments and condos. Venture beyond the Romantic Zone to the Hotel Zone (10-minutes by taxi/uber) if you are seeking an all-inclusive, resort style experience.
Close to the Gay Beaches and Bars
- The iconic ocean-front Almar Hotel is known for its signature turquoise canvas lounge chairs that mark the gay section of the beach front. The recently opened Almar Towers and Eden Pool Club, with stunning infinity views over the bay, are the perfect place to enjoy your Puerto Vallarta escape. The reality however is this hotels is booked out months and months in advance, even with the new addition of the tower. The following hotels great amenities and service close by:
- Grand Miramar – Luxury suites and superb facilities. Less than 1km from the centre.
- Olas Altas Suites – Perfect location, great suites and friendly service. 600 metres from the centre.
- Casa Isabel – 4 Star boutique hotel, large rooms and beach views. 700 metres from the centre.
5 Star Luxury close-by
- There are no 5 star hotels in the Romantic Zone, however nearby Conchas Chinas is home to some spectacular options, just a 5-minute taxi ride to the gay bars and beaches.
- Grand Miramar All Luxury Suites – Rated “Superb” by guests, with stunning ocean views, excellent breakfast and epic infinity pool.
- Hotel Luxury Patio Azul – Another “Superb” rated hotel with beautifully decorated spacious rooms and optional private pools.
- Beyond Conchas Chinas (12 minute taxi ride) you will find Hotel Mousai – Adults Only, the first 5 Diamond, Adults Only Hotel in Puerto Vallarta.
Popular Gay Hotels
- Hotel Mercurio – Rated “Fabulous” by guests, the hotel hosts several gay parties throughout the year and is home to a popular happy hour daily. Rooms are basic, but service is excellent and the hotel’s location is its key selling point.
- Jets Gay Youth Hostel – Just a 5-minute walk from the gay bars, the hotel offers basic but clean accommodation and excellent sevice.
- Casa Cupula – Gay owned and operated, Casa Cupula hosts some of the most infamous naked pool parties and events and is home to a stunning on site restaurant and popular gym.
- Casa Kimberley – Stay in the former home of Elizabeth Taylor. The hotel, Rated “Exceptional” by guests is just a 5-minute taxi ride to the Romantic Zone, 400 m from Camarones Beach, and within 600 m of the city centre. The boutique hotel features stylish rooms with epic views and of course the famous Iguana restaurant.
Condos and Apartments
- The Romantic Zone is home to some stunning self-catering apartments and luxury condos and penthouses. Apartments tend to fill up fast, so book well in advance, especially for the top gay Puerto Vallarta Events.
Gay Map of Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta Gay Friendly Restaurants
From world famous dining experiences to delectable tapas dishes, Vallarta is a gay foodie’s paradise.
Dining out in Gay Puerto Vallarta is a foodie’s dream come true with everything from beachside restaurants to traditional Taco stands, offering fresh seafood and meat dishes from the traditional to the truly exotic. Most of the best restaurants are close to the gay Zona Romantica.
Breakfast and Coffee
- Beachside breakfast is a must at La Palapa. Enjoy amazing views while you dine on the sandy shore of Puerto Vallarta.
- Coffee lovers should check out Dees Coffee near the pier for their caffeine and wifi fix!
- Fredy’s Tucan is something of a breakfast institution, very popular with gay visitors and serves traditional breakfast dishes with Mexican options.
- Our top recommendation has to be El Dorado, with impressive views of Puerto Vallarta and a fresh take on traditional Mexican cuisine.
- Daiquiri Dick’s (don’t be put off by the name) offers a delicious menu with superb service right by the oceanfront. Enjoy classic Mexican cuisine with fresh local ingredients and excellent vegetarian options.
- If you want authentic Mexican cuisine, visit Cafe Olla, close to the gay bars on Lazaro Cardenas. Cheap and cheerful, their cheese with meat dish always hits the spot!
- Treat yourself at least once to dinner at Cafe Des Artistes. Superb service, beautiful decor, and an eclectic wine list make this restaurant one of our favourites in all of Mexico. Their fresh tuna is divine, and their signature dessert of Bitter Chocolate Tart with Pink Pepper and Red Fruits is sublime.
- For something truly memorable in a stunning setting, head to the hills and visit Casa Kimberly, the former home of Liz Taylor and dine at The Iguana.
- Noroc is a sophisticated beachfront dining experience serving fusion seafood dishes and a sublime cocktail list.
- Bistro at Casa Cupula Puerto Vallarta combines flavours and textures in unique dishes from Asia, Mexico and the Mediterranean.
- Bravos Puerto Vallarta encourages you to try something new, something unexpected, and the food never disappoints.
- No trip to Gay Puerto Vallarta would be complete without a visit to The Swedes, a delightful gay-owned restaurant in Púlpito with an ever-changing menu and charming terrace bar.
- Savante by Chef Polo Cortes is a gay owned and operated restaurant offering Fine Dining culinary experiences, located in the centro district.
- Cafe de Olla is one of the best-known restaurants in PV, famous for its authentic Mexican food or “Comida Mexicana.”
- Ok, Jose! specializes in delicious Mexican contemporary cuisine with unique dishes not found elsewhere in Puerto Vallarta.
- Jorge’s Hideaway Shrimp Shack – Family owned and run hidden gem offering outstanding traditional dishes and excellent service.
- Martini en Fuego – Simple, tasty and delicious dishes from steaks, to burgers, fish and seafood with an authentic Vallarta vibe.
Food and Drink Tours
- Those seeking a truly Mexican experience should try Vallarta Food Tour’s intimate three-hour Tour introducing visitors to the unique flavours and history behind tacos, chocolate, mole sauces, tortillas and more.
- If you prefer a liquid diet, try a tour at the Tequila Museum featuring local artisanal mezcal and tequila.
- Puerto Vallarta hosts many international gourmet food and wine festivals throughout the year.
- Their famous “Restaurant Week” takes place in May and November and sees some of the top international chefs invited to create locally inspired dishes for some of the most famous restaurants in the city. (Note it typically runs for a month, despite its name).
Puerto Vallarta Dining Tour
- For new visitors, a great way to get your bearings is to take the PV Dinner and Bar Hopping tour, where you can check out the best bars, meet new friends and enjoy some great dining and VIP service. Always book in advance, as the Tour is sold out during the high season.
- The “Original Downtown Tour” stops at eight locations and includes the local breakfast favourite, chilaquiles; Jalisco’s slow-cooked stew, birria; refreshing aguas frescas (fruit-infused drinks) and guidance on how to dress a taco.
- Tipping is quite common. For good service, anywhere between 15 to 20 percent is customary.
- Most of your waiters will depend upon such tips for their livelihood as wages are quite low in the city. You will have to ask for the bill. Dining is not a rushed affair, so be patient.
- You have to try the Tacos in Puerto Vallarta, and some great TacoTaco stands are dotted across the city.
- The best stands have just two or three simple dishes and cook everything fresh. When they run out, they shut down for the day.
- Recipes have been passed down from generation to generation allowing you to enjoy an authentic taste of Mexico.
- A good rule of thumb is if you see a line of locals, join them for what’s sure to be a cheap and tasty treat.
- Birrieria Robles on Bolivia Street is a family-run institution since 1986 known for its hearty beef or goat stew (birria) served with handmade tortillas.
- Nearby on Suarez, La Chilaqueria is a perfect breakfast/lunch spot for great chilaquiles made with traditional tortilla chips topped with salsa, cheese, beans, pulled chicken, and eggs.
Puerto Vallarta Gay Beach Clubs
Discover the best gay beach clubs in Puerto Vallarta.
Playa Los Muertos, Puerto Vallarta
- Playa Los Muertos is Puerto Vallarta’s gay beach, one of the most famous in Mexico and has an international reputation as a party hotspot with great beach clubs, turquoise seas and hot, fit locals!
- The Gay Puerto Vallarta beach is busy from October until May and is close to the Romantic Zone, just a short walk from the area’s hotels and bars.
- This mile-long beach stretches from the Cuale river, and although busy, it offers plenty of space to sunbathe. It is a short walk from downtown Puerto Vallarta.
- The walk along the roads can be pretty steep, so many people opt to walk along the main beach from the Malecon.
- Taxies will be more than happy to take you to the beach from your hotel, even if it is just a 10-minute walk away. (between the heat and the hills, it’s a popular option)
The Gay Beach Clubs
- Los Muertos beach has several gay and gay-friendly beach clubs, including Mantamar, Sapphire, Green Chairs (Ritmos) and Blue Chairs. All have something unique to offer. Visit all four and find one that suits your taste.
- Stay in the Romantic Zone, close to Puerto Vallarta’s gay bars, dance clubs and beach.
Blue Chairs Gay Beach Club
- The perennial Blue Chairs Resort is the original gay-beach resort and is still popular, although a little faded from its former glory; but still the original gay beach club.
- Blue Chairs Resort also hosts some of the popular Beefdip parties.
Relaxed beach club has a chilled vibe and friendly and efficient bartenders. Located just south of Blue Chairs.
Sapphire Beach Club
- Sapphire Beach Club, with its sexy waiters and wonderful cocktails, is perfect if you want to relax and sunbathe on a full-length beach lounger.
- The Sapphire resort has a restaurant, dipping pool, and full-service beach sun loungers, with some of the best-looking waiters on the beach.
- They also have several high-end suites available to rent. Check Rates
Mantamar Beach Club
- At the end of Los Muertos beach, you will find the Mantamar, a 5-star beach club offering sunset views and beachside dining.
- The beach club hosts the famous circuit beach and pool parties during the Easter (Semana Santa), Pride, Thanksgiving and New Year holidays.
- Mantamar offers sun loungers on the beach with waiter service, an infinity pool, cabanas, a locker room, a bar and a restaurant.
- Mantamar beach club is part of the Almar Resort, offering luxurious suites and rooms. Check Rates
Other Beaches in Gay Puerto Vallarta
- There is much to do beyond the main gay beach at Play los Muertos.
- Playa Amapas is located south of Los Muertos, over some steep pathways, secluded and beautiful.
- Playa Conchas Chinas is even further off the beaten track, home to beautiful tranquil beaches, luxurious condos, and hotels.
- Sometimes the surf here can be rough, so check out Playa Bucerías’s calm waters. Or try La Lancha, which is considered one of the prettiest beaches in Puerto Vallarta.
Puerto Vallarta’s top Gay Events
Puerto Vallarta has some of the most colourful festivals in Mexico, and its gay events are no different. Occurring mainly during the high season, events such as Thanksgiving and New Year’s eve see an influx of visitors from around the world.
Puerto Vallarta has one of the busiest gay party schedules in the world.
Food and Wine Festivals
- Food and wine enthusiasts will know that Puerto Vallarta is famous for its gourmet reputation with internationally recognized chefs and restaurants. The annual gourmet festival in November and the Restaurant Week in May are well worth attending if you are in the city.
- The famous Beef Dip in January sees a massive influx of gay visitors for the largest Bear Week outside of the USA in North America.
- Events continue in early February with the colourful Puerto Vallarta Carnival. This once gay-run event has blossomed into a city-wide festival attracting more than 30,000 visitors but retains its gay flamboyance, with most local gay bars winning the best float competitions. Discover more with out event guide to Puerto Vallarta Carnival.
- Gay events such as Vallarta Pride continue to flourish. The event takes place in May and is now includes more than seven days of cultural events, shopping festivals, pool parties and circuit festivals.
Seasonal Holidays NYE and Thanksgiving
- Other events, such as Easter, NYE and Thanksgiving, attract even more visitors as the bar owners, beach clubs, and nightclubs host special parties with international guest DJs.
- Finally, the Day Of the Dead celebrations has grown in popularity over the past decade with elaborate decorations, and cultural events celebrated at the Faro del Malecón, with stage shows, parades, and the world’s tallest calavera Catrina.
The latest upcoming Events & Parties
4th of July Weekend in Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta Labor Day Weekend
Gay Puerto Vallarta – What to see and do!
There’s more to explore beyond the beach in Puerto Vallarta. Discover unique experiences from food and tequila tastings to hidden islands and jungle adventures.
PV has a very well-developed scene, and tourism is the number one business in the region. All the gay attractions are close by. Gay tours are top-rated and are booked up in advance, especially the gay bar hopping tour.
Less than an hour from the city centre, you can enjoy zip-lining, ATV off-roading or hiking the Sierra Madre Mountains, all while in the Canopy River adventure park.
Gay Bar Hopping Tours
- The PVR Gay Bar Hopping Night tour is a great ways to experience what’s on offer and to meet fellow travelers.
- Whale Watching on Banderas Bay is a unique experience, and plenty of beachside activities will keep you occupied, from paddle boarding to Para Jet Sailing!
- Those seeking adventure should check out the ATV and Zip Lining tours through the forest!
- Further inland, you will find Puerto Vallarta’s Botanical Gardens. Take advantage of the Orchid conservatory and the Vanilla Plantation Walks. Finally, cool off with a dip in the Rio Sendero and dine at the beautiful rooftop restaurant.
City Shopping & Tours
- The city is full of stunning art galleries and craft stores for shopaholics. Discover some stunning local glassware, pottery, and paintings during the city art walk.
- Lázaro Cárdenas Park has undergone a facelift where the concrete walls and benches are transformed into one of Puerto Vallarta’s most exciting public art projects: from grey concrete to bright, colourful tile mosaics, earning it the nickname “Tile Park“.
- Shop on the water by visiting the Island in the middle of the Cuale river, where local artists sell their wares.
- Visit the Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe, with a beautiful interior and one of Vallarta’s most famous landmarks brightly lit each evening.
- Try some world-class surfing at Sayulita beach. Its paradise! Or hitch a ride on a panga (water taxi) and visit nearby Los Arcos for some snorkelling and relaxation.
- Want to do something different? Book a day Trip to Las Caletas. You have a variety of options on how you choose to spend your day. Relax under the shade on a hammock, book a therapeutic spa treatment, go diving, or explore Las Caletas by land.
- Another popular destination is Marietas Islands, where you can snorkel and enjoy the stunning hidden beach. Sunset and whale-watching cruises are also available.
When to visit depends on how busy you like your destination.
Something More Relaxed
- Those seeking a more relaxed vibe should consider visiting between April and June. The Weather is still quite pleasant, the gay beach is still busy and there are fewer visitors. Puerto Vallarta Gay Pride occurs in May during the American Memorial Day Weekend.
- The high season is during the northern hemisphere Winter (December-February). Most of the circuit events and pool parties take place during this period. The gay beach is packed from 11 am.
Climate & Weather
- Puerto Vallarta has a typical tropical climate, with nearly constant temperature and humidity year-round. The rainy season runs from June through Mid-October. Even in the rainy season, the rain falls in short bursts, most often at night, with most days being hot and dry.
When to Travel?
- January, February, March and April have pleasant average temperatures.
- On average, the temperatures are always high.
- Most rainfall (rainy season) is seen in June, July, August, September and October.
- Puerto Vallarta has dry periods in February, March, April, May, November and December.
- September is the wettest month.
- April is the driest month.
Recommended Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Puerto Vallarta that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
Almar Resort LGBT
4 Star, Luxury
Offering a year-round outdoor pool and terrace. Guests can enjoy the on-site bar. Each room at this hotel is air conditioned and features a flat-screen TV. Some units include a seating area. A terrace or balcony are featured in certain rooms. All rooms are equipped with a private bathroom with a bath or shower, free toiletries and a hair dryer. This hotel features free WiFi
Joint Coworking Hotel
The hotel will provide guests with air-conditioned rooms with a desk, a safety deposit box, a flat-screen TV and a private bathroom with a shower. Certain rooms have a kitchenette with a microwave, a fridge and a stovetop. At Joint Coworking Hotel and Cowork rooms include bed linen and towels. Free WiFi is available
4 Star, Great Value
Offering an outdoor swimming pool, free Wi-Fi. The rooms here will provide you with a flat-screen TV, a desk, air conditioning and cable channels. Featuring a shower, private bathrooms also come with free toiletries. Some rooms have a sea view. At Hotel Amaca Puerto Vallarta – Adults Only you will find a 24-hour front desk, a terrace and a bar.
Shores Beach Hotel
4 Star, Location
Vallarta Shores Condohotel, located on Puerto Vallarta’s Los Muertos Beach features one to four bedroom suites with fully equipped kitchen, flat-screen cable TV and a balcony overlooking the beach and Banderas Bay. The Sky Suites feature 3 bedrooms, a private pool and private chef service included in the rate. Also, these suites feature an open-air living room, dining area and an outdoor terrace.
Never miss another event again.
Sign up for the GayList, full of insider tips, special offers, upcoming events and the best places to stay.