From: Sunday, Jun 13th, 2021
To: Saturday, Jun 19th, 2021
Here come the bears – watch out Melbourne!
HiBEARnation Kicks off with a meet and greet opening party. Other events include the rather self-explanatory, BEARaoke. There is also the very popular, UnderBEAR party, an evening that celebrates bears in all their glory from the hairy to the hairless in every shape, size and form.
Bear Soup brings fur and water together with a chilled afternoon at Wet on Wellington (Melbourne’s Finest Gay Pool and Sauna) filled with fun, frivolity and relaxation and recovery by the pool. Along with some steam heat, there’s a great outdoor area, lots of play spaces, and a free BBQ lunch, so why not come and recharge your batteries before the weekend begins?
Don’t miss the Mr Australasia Bear Competition. Mr Australasia Bear isn’t your average competition! Contestants are quizzed in a fun, friendly and relaxed environment. Competitors are questioned about being a Bear and what being a Bear means to them. They are judged equally on how they’ve interacted within the community, with the audience and their responses to questions.
Meet the Contestants
- Get SH21 started with the casual Meet ‘N’ Greet. Sunday, June 13 Catch up with your buddies, pick up your SH21 packs and get ready for the spectacle that is Southern HiBearnation. This is free event happening at our favorite bear hang out – The Laird.
Bath House Bear
- When is “Bear Soup” not bear soup? When its “Bath House Bears”. Same event just a new name. Come along on Tuesday 15th June and enjoy a relaxing couple of hours at Melbourne’s iconic Wet on Wellington sauna. Special entry price of $10 after 7pm for VicBears members.
- The weather may be cold, but the night will be hot as VicBears takes over the Laird for another of their infamous Underwear parties. The rules are simple. Come in on Wednesday, June 16, strip down to your underwear and dance your ass off till the wee hours. DJ’s. Jason Conti & Argonaut will be on the decks so no excuses for not hitting the floor.
Mr Australasia Bear
- Head to The Laird on Friday, June 18 to watch the contestants strut their stuff as they compete for the title of Mr Australasia bear 2021.
Hunk Candy Bear
- Hunk is back at the Laird on Saturday, June 19 with a poptatsic twist. Think pop, think colour, think fun, think throw your hands in the air and screech “I love this song”. Your DJ’s David Virgona & Jason Leahy know a thing or two about pop tunes so dress it up and get ready to hit the floor.
Eagle Leather presents Round up
- Eagle Leather presents Round Up 20 June – Round Up is back for 2021 and together with major sponsors Eagle Leather, organisers are planning on ending SH21 with a bang. Evies’s Disco Diner in Fitzroy is home for this event which will feature some killer performances, kick ass lighting and the bearalicious Damien Mack on the decks. See SH21 off bear style at this one.
Where to stay?
Here are the hotels we recommend that have good reviews and keep you close to all the action
Gay Map of Melbourne
Melbourne’s gay bars & clubs are located in St Kilda and South Yarra south of the city or in Collingwood, Richmond and Fitzroy north of the city and one in Yarraville.
Recommended Apartments in Melbourne
1 to 2 Bedrooms
The air-conditioned units have a fully equipped kitchen with a dishwasher & an oven. A microwave & toaster are also provided, as well as a coffee machine. A living area with a flat-screen TV. Laundry facilities are available.
This air-conditioned apartment is fitted with 2 bedrooms, a living room and a fully equipped kitchen with a dishwasher and an oven. It also has a flat-screen TV with free streaming service. Bathroom comes with a hair dryer
1 & 2 Bedrooms
Situated in the Carlton district of Melbourne Every unit has a private bathroom and shower, air conditioning, a flat-screen TV and a dishwasher. A microwave and fridge are also available, as well as a kettle.
1 & 2 Bedrooms
All air-conditioned apartments feature a fully equipped kitchen, a dining setting and a private bathroom with a shower and bathrobes. Each have a lounge area with a sofa and a flat-screen TV. Free WiFi
Video Of Southern HiBEARnation
Recommended Hotels in Melbourne
The best place to stay in Melbourne is in the Southbank district. Here you will be close to all the city’s attractions and the nearby gay in both the north and south of the city.
5 Star Luxury
Rising above Melbourne’s vibrant Southbank precinct, Crown Towers offers spacious luxury rooms with views of the city or Port Phillip Bay. Each room features original artworks and marble bathrooms.
The Como, 5 Star
The Como is perfectly positioned near the restaurants, boutiques and all attractions located in the South Yarra, Prahran and Toorak area. There is a tram stop nearby, taking you to Melbourne city centre
Cosmopolitan 4 Star
Gay District -St.Kinda
The Cosmopolitan is a boutique-style hotel including modern minimalist rooms, each well-equipped room features free WiFi and one secure on site parking space per room. 6 minutes walk from the beach
The property features contemporary furniture, an en suite bathroom, air-conditioning and central heating. Downstairs is a spacious lounge, a chefs kitchen & laundry facilities shared by the 4 guest rooms.