From: Thursday, February 29, 2024
To: Sunday, March 10, 2024
Maspalomas Carnival is one of Gran Canaria’s most colourful events with parades, drag queens and sequins, as far as the eye can see! It is the perfect way to enjoy a Carnival experience without the cold, with Maspalomas welcoming visitors with temperatures averaging 22 degrees in the afternoon.
- Stay at the Riu Palace, Maspalomas, with large rooms, a great pool, stunning views of the dunes and slap bang in the middle of all the major Carnival celebrations. The Riu Palace is also close to the Yumbo, just a 4 min taxi ride away.
Maspalomas Carnival 2024 Theme
- Carnival was prohibited in Spain during Franco’s dictatorship, although these festivities were clandestinely celebrated in some parts of Spain.
- In the Canary Islands, the carnival was called “Winter Fiestas” to conceal its celebration from the dictator’s eyes. It returned in force in the early 80s and has become one of the biggest Carnival celebrations in Europe.
- Each year the Carnival has a different theme. Awaiting theme for 2024.
- Maspalomas Carnival typically takes place after the big European Carnivals, which finish on Ash Wednesday.
- Discover the best of Maspalomas, from bars and restaurants to top attractions with our gay guide to Gran Canaria.
Where to stay during Maspalomas Carnival
- Stay close to the Carnival events at the Barceló Margaritas, rated “Fabulous” by guests, completely refurbished with spacious and stylish rooms and two outdoor pools.
- HD Parque Cristobal Gran Canaria – 3-star hotel with a fresh new look, just steps from the Yumbo. Rooms are spacious, and guest service is excellent.
- Playa Del Sol – Adults Only – 3-star hotel with clean and bright apartments, relaxing pool area and a perfect location close to all the bars and the main pride parties.
Main Carnival Events
- Maspalomas Carnival is famous for its many parties and events, from comparsas (dance troupes) to murgas (music groups) and hundreds of over the top drag queens!
- During the day, rondallas (a strings ensemble), theatre performances and troupes take to the town’s streets, creating a unique party vibe.
The Drag Queen Gala
- Typically the Thursday of the Event – The epic Drag Queen Gala is glamorous and competitive.
- Drag queens from across Spain and beyond compete for the title of Maspalomas Carnival Drag Queen.
- The event is held in the Yumbo Centre, the heart of gay Maspalomas, on a purpose-built stage.
- Expect death-defying performances as Drag Queens duel in over the top costumes and high heels. The event is televised live and is watched across Spain.
The Carnival Great Parade – Cabalgata
- Typically, the parade is held on the last Saturday of the celebrations in the early afternoon.
- The Carnival Parade route begins at El Veril in Playa del Inglés, crosses through Av. de Italia, Av. de Gran Canaria and ends at Av. de Touroperator TUI. Previous events have featured more than 100 floats (carrozas in Spanish), and the parade takes several hours to reach its final destination.
- Stay close to the Carnival parade and parties at The Sol Barbacan . Rated “Fabulous” by guests, this aparthotel has a large pool, large balconies and spacious rooms with excellent facilities where great care is paid to the little details. Our top choice.
The Beach Carnival
- Typically the final Sunday of the event – The Beach Carnival features a spectacular show in Playa del Inglés, featuring international DJs and live performances.
- All-night street parties attract thousands upon thousands of revellers, including the “Mogollon” Street party, one of the busiest.
- You’ll be hard-pushed to find any Spanish boy not dressed in costume!
- Festivities end with a sometimes comical and often sombre affair, the Rescue and Burial of the Sardine (March 19th), an ancient Carnival Tradition that marks the end of the celebrations for another year.
- Another much-loved evening is the election of the Carnival Queen.
Maspalomas Bear Carnival
- Bear Carnival is a large bear meeting held in Maspalomas a few weeks after the Maspalomas Carnival. Over nine days, the event attracts thousands of bears, chasers and admirers and hosts a popular pool party, several fetish events, and Bear competitions.
Popular Hotels in Maspalomas
The following hotels are close to Carnival festivities, beaches and Yumbo Centre, home to gay life on the Island.
Book early your hotel & stay close to
Playa del Ingles next to the gay bars
The Sol Barbacan close to the Yumbo
offering a great pool and stylish rooms.
For further information and advice on
Maspalomas Carnival, The Website
Over 32 gay bars all in the same area, so we have chosen Hotels close to the gay bars that have high reviews on booking.com our hotel partner .
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Maspalomas that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
Ofering an outdoor swimming pool, a garden and air-conditioned accommodation with a patio and free WiFi. Each unit comes with a sofa, a seating area, a flat-screen TV with satellite channels, a well-fitted kitchen with a dining area, a safety deposit box and a private bathroom with bathrobes. A dishwasher, a microwave, fridge, kettle & a coffee machine.
Offering large rooms with balconies, the adults-only Bohemia Suites & Spa features 1 freshwater outdoor pool and 1 saltwater outdoor pool and 2 outdoor jacuzzis. The stylish rooms feature yellow, terracotta or purple colour schemes with olive-wood furnishings. The rooftop restaurant offers creative local dishes and panoramic views & a terrace cocktail bar.
Located in Playa del Inglés. The complex features a swimming pool, 2 hot tubs, and free WiFi in all areas. Sol Barbacan offers a buffet restaurant and an a la carte restaurant, as well as a pool bar and an evening lounge with a terrace. Set in gardens, the complex includes minigolf and beach volleyball facilities. There is also a gym
AxelBeach Maspalomas an outdoor pool, gym and tennis court. This gay and hetero-friendly, adults-only complex also has a hammam, hot tub and sauna. Opening onto terraces, the apartments have attractive, contemporary décor. All include air conditioning, a safe, free WiFi and a comfortable living area with a sofa and flat-screen satellite TV.
Highlights of the Drag Queen Gala