From: Awaiting dates
To: Awaiting dates
Maspalomas Carnival 2022
2022 Update – Masplaomas has moved its annual carnival from March to June 2022.
The International Carnival 2022 is set for a summertime return, June 9 – 19
- Visiting for Carnival? Book your June escape early before the Summer fills up!
Maspalomas Carnival is one of Gran Canaria’s most colourful events with parades, drag queens and sequins, as far as the eye can see! It is the perfect way to enjoy a Carnival experience without the cold, with Maspalomas welcoming visitors with temperatures averaging 22 degrees in the afternoon.
Carnival was prohibited in Spain during Franco’s dictatorship, although these festivities were clandestinely celebrated in some parts of Spain. In the Canary Islands, the carnival was called “Winter Fiestas” to conceal its celebration from the dictator’s eyes. It returned in force in the early 80s and has become one of the biggest Carnival celebrations in Europe.
Maspalomas Carnival 2022 Theme
- This year’s carnival theme is “La Magia” of Magic. Sexy hot Magicians, Muscle Bunnies, Wizards and Warlocks will take over the streets of San Bartolome de Tirajana for 12 days of parties and parades. If you don’t have time to pre-plan your costume, you can shop at some of the many Chinese bazaars dotted across the Yumbo. The “Party Party” fancy dress costume shop offers everything a budding Magician needs to ensure a successful night on the town.
Where to stay during Maspalomas Carnival
- Maspalomas Carnival typically takes place a week after the big European Carnivals, which finish on Ash Wednesday. The event moves to Summer for 2022 so book your stay well in advance.
- Stay at the Riu Palace, Maspalomas, with large rooms, a great pool, stunning views of the dunes and slap bang in the middle of all the major Carnival celebrations. The Riu Palace is also close to the Yumbo, just a 4 min taxi ride away.
Main Carnival Events
Maspalomas Carnival is famous for its many parties and events, from comparsas (dance troupes) to murgas (music groups) and hundreds of over the top drag queens! During the day, rondallas (a strings ensemble), theatre performances and troupes take to the town’s streets, creating a unique party vibe.
The Carnival Great Parade – Cabalgata
- Saturday, June 18th – Typically, the parade is held on the last Saturday of the celebrations in the early afternoon. The Carnival Parade route begins at El Veril in Playa del Ingles, crosses through Av. de Italia, Av. de Gran Canaria and ends at Av. de Touroperator TUI. Previous events have featured more than 100 floats (carrozas in Spanish), and the parade takes several hours to reach its final destination.
The Beach Carnival
- Sunday, June 19th – The Beach Carnival features a spectacular show in Playa del Inglés, featuring international DJs and live performances.
The Drag Queen Gala
- Awaiting Dates – The epic Drag Queen Gala is glamorous and competitive. Drag queens from across Spain and beyond compete for the title of Maspalomas Carnival Drag Queen. The event is held in the Yumbo Centre, the heart of gay Maspalomas, on a purpose-built stage. Expect death-defying performances as Drag Queens duel in over the top costumes and high heels. The event is televised live and is watched across Spain.
All-night street parties attract thousands upon thousands of revellers, including the “Mogollon” Street party, one of the busiest. You’ll be hard-pushed to find any Spanish boy not dressed in costume! Festivities end with a sometimes comical and often sombre affair, the Rescue and Burial of the Sardine, an ancient Carnival Tradition that marks the end of the celebrations for another year.
Maspalomas Bear Carnival
- Bear Carnival is a large bear meeting held in Maspalomas a few weeks after the Maspalomas Carnival. Over nine days, the event attracts thousands of bears, chasers and admirers and hosts a popular pool party, several fetish events, and Bear competitions.
Maspalomas in Gran Canaria is bigger then you think, you need your hotel to be in Playa del ingles, which is where the Yumbo centre is located,
Here are the hotels we recommend that have good reviews and keep you close to all the action
Recommended Hotels in Maspalomas By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Maspalomas that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
5 Star, Luxury
Ofering an outdoor swimming pool, a garden and air-conditioned accommodation with a patio and free WiFi. Each unit comes with a sofa, a seating area, a flat-screen TV with satellite channels, a well-fitted kitchen with a dining area, a safety deposit box and a private bathroom with bathrobes. A dishwasher, a microwave, fridge, kettle & a coffee machine.
Bohemia Suites & Spa
5 Star, Adults Only
Offering large rooms with balconies, the adults-only Bohemia Suites & Spa features 1 freshwater outdoor pool and 1 saltwater outdoor pool and 2 outdoor jacuzzis. The stylish rooms feature yellow, terracotta or purple colour schemes with olive-wood furnishings. The rooftop restaurant offers creative local dishes and panoramic views & a terrace cocktail bar.
4 Star, Great Value
Located in Playa del Inglés. The complex features a swimming pool, 2 hot tubs, and free WiFi in all areas. Sol Barbacan offers a buffet restaurant and an a la carte restaurant, as well as a pool bar and an evening lounge with a terrace. Set in gardens, the complex includes minigolf and beach volleyball facilities. There is also a gym
4 Star, Adults Only
AxelBeach Maspalomas an outdoor pool, gym and tennis court. This gay and hetero-friendly, adults-only complex also has a hammam, hot tub and sauna. Opening onto terraces, the apartments have attractive, contemporary décor. All include air conditioning, a safe, free WiFi and a comfortable living area with a sofa and flat-screen satellite TV.