From: Awaiting dates
To: Awaiting dates
Manchester Christmas Market 2024
Piccadilly Gardens will take a star turn this festive season, becoming the hub for Christmas in Manchester – the UK’s one and only capital of Christmas.
- The Christmas Markets attract thousands of visitors to the city each day, especially on weekends, so book your hotel early. Check out the top 20 places to stay close to the Manchester Christmas Markets. Treat yourself at the Velvet Hotel, recently refurbished and rated “Fabulous” by guests featuring stylish rooms with modern interiors and just steps from the gay bars.
- Awaiting dates and times – Winter Gardens is the showcase attraction of the Manchester Christmas Market. Located in the heart of the city, in Piccadilly Gardens featuring yuletide bars offering locally brewed ales, food stalls, craft sellers and a stage with live music and DJs throughout the festive season.
- Enjoy popular dishes from across Europe including delicious Dutch Frites, and Greek Gyros, finished off with warm cookie dough puddings and washed down with signature cocktails and local ales.
- Traditional market dishes including German sausages and Gluhwein are also on offer, as well as appearances from local street food traders such as Eat New York and Porky Pig with their Yorkshire pudding wrap.
- Open daily 10am to 9pm (craft stalls open until 8pm), Street food stalls open until 6pm / Craft stalls open until 8pm.
- The nearest station is Manchester Piccadilly, a 10-minute walk away. The closest Metrolink stops are Piccadilly Gardens or Market Street, which are well-serviced by most Metrolink lines.
- Stay close to the markets and enjoy a luxury stay at King Street Townhouse in a large Italian renaissance building with a heated rooftop pool.
The Christmas Markets
Manchester’s world-famous Christmas Markets will also return across another six city centre squares, offering delicious food and a range of seasonal gifts.
- Stay in the heart of the gay district, Canal Street at Leven, Centrally located at 40 Chorlton Street, a five minute walk from the markets featuring a range or room styles and thoughtful touches.
- St Ann’s Square – Enjoy Handmade pizzas along and delicious burgers by Christmas Markets stalwart, the Lakeland Burger company. The Northern Quarter’s Yard and Coop returns with their fried chicken and salt and pepper fries. Browse for that unique gift from a host of new craft sellers.
- Exchange Square – A runaway hit of the Christmas Markets, Pork Pig’s Yorkshire Pudding wraps return, alongside the instantly recognisable Mill Exchange bar – complete with huge chimney. Tikka Kebab kitchen keeps you warm with their curries and spiced shawarma kebabs. The square is also home to several local produce sellers.
- New Cathedral Street – The street welcomes high end shoemakers, local vegan skincare products, jewellery and crafted produce, plus the ever-stylish Bar No3 serving smoking cocktails and gins. The Witch House features their traditional steins and currywurst.
- King Street – Enjoy a host of French themed stalls with gallic food, beers and wines, plus a warming bar serving over 100 varieties of gin. Visit the mouth watering Italian deli with a selection to beat any deli on any the high street.
- Market Street – Featuring the top makers and traders in the region, Market Street offers some fantastic options for your Christmas list.
Manchester Christmas Markets Ice Skating
- The magic returns to Cathedral Gardens this winter with a bigger than ever real ice rink. Enjoy skating by starlight under the cover of the rink’s roof, meaning you can skate in any weather and enjoy the atmosphere. The festive Skate Manchester ice rink is open from November 1 until January 3.
- Finally don’t miss Manchester’s Giant Santa who takes pride of place in the city centre, along with a trail of light sculptures taking visitors on an illuminated trip around the city.
Manchester has a thriving LGBT+ scene, centered around the world famous Canal Street – home of “The Village”. Stop by during the festive season and enjoy some cheesy Christmas music, festive themed party nights and a warm and welcoming atmosphere after a day’s shopping in the markets.
Located just south of Chinatown, the village features an eclectic mix of bars, clubs, restaurants and green spaces set alongside a long stretch of the Rochdale Canal. Manchester’s Gay Village has something to suit all tastes. Here’s our shortlist:
- Head to Number 1 Canal Street, one of the most highly regarded bars in the village, seen by many as the community heart of Canal Street. Its informal drinking and dining atmosphere and appreciation of the arts means that you might get to see a new play or exclusive book reading or art exhibition if you pop by.
- Bar Pop keeps the soundtrack of camp classics and nostalgic favourites coming. .
- G-A-Y is a pop music haven with music video walls and a roof terrace, offering regular drinks promotions to a lively crowd, whilst the gothic interior of Via is the perfect setting for a few pints of lager while enjoying the bar’s nightly entertainment of drag queens and DJs.
- For a relaxing glass of wine, Tribeca’s styled interior is a firm favourite, as is the legendary New York New York on Bloom Street – popular for its camp comedy cabaret nights. Cocktails reign supreme at the decadently decorated Oscars piano and showtunes bar, a must for all musical theatre fans.
- The Eagle on Bloom Street entertains Manchester’s gay male clientele with daily happy hours, themed fetish nights and late-night DJs. Nearby Company Bar also operates a male only door policy and is open late on weekends.
- Finally experience the Village’s more traditional pubs. The Rembrandt, Paddy’s Goose, New Union and Churchills
Where to stay during The Manchester Christmas Markets
Hotels in the gay district tend to fill up fast. Check out these deals on the top hotels close to Canal Street.
Here is our top selection of hotels, close to the center of town & the gay bars,
Gay Map of Manchester
Most of the gay bars are on canal street and are within easy walking dissidence from each other
Recommended Hotels in Manchester By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Manchester that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
5 Star, Luxury
- 5-star, rooftop terrace, central Manchester.
- Close to the gay district.
- Air-conditioned, bathrobes.
- Luxurious and central, ideal for urban explorers seeking style and convenience.
4 Star, Readers Choice
- 4-star, Canal Street, contemporary décor.
- In the heart of the gay district.
- Elegant furnishings.
- Vibrant and stylish, perfect for experiencing Manchester’s lively Canal Street atmosphere.
4 Star, Great Value
- 4-star, 19th-century building, free Wi-Fi.
- A short walk to the gay bars.
- Monsoon showers, luxury toiletries.
- Historic charm meets modern luxury, centrally located near Piccadilly Station.
3 Star, Location
- 3-star, close to Manchester Piccadilly station.
- A short walk to the gay bars.
- En-suite shower, flat-screen TV.
- Budget-friendly, convenient for rail travelers, with a comfortable and modern setting.
Video Of A Guide to Manchester Christmas Markets
Top Gay Neighbourhoods in Manchester
Manchester has a rich and vibrant LGBTQ+ community and history. The city is known for being inclusive and welcoming to people of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
Canal Street | Close to the city centre
- Canal Street, often referred to as the Gay Village, is the epicenter of LGBTQ+ life in Manchester.
- It’s a pedestrianized street lined with bars, clubs, restaurants, and shops that cater specifically to the LGBTQ+ community.
- The area is known for its colorful decorations, rainbow flags, and a lively atmosphere.
- It’s not only a nightlife hub but also hosts various events, parades, and celebrations throughout the year, including Manchester Pride.
- Discover the best things to see and do in Manchester
Staying in the city center puts you close to many of Manchester’s attractions, shopping districts, restaurants, & nightlife.
This modern business & entertainment district offers upscale accommodations, trendy restaurants, & close to attractions.