From: Friday, February 9, 2024
To: Wednesday, February 14, 2024
Malta Carnival 2024
Carnival in Malta is an epic event, held across the island with the main parade taking pride of place in Valletta. Pack your costumes and get ready to party. As they say in Malta, “Viva Viva l-Karnival!”
- Book your stay early in the capital Valletta, the Carnival attracts thousands of international visitors. Stay in La Falconeria, rated “Wonderful” by guests, featuring stylish designer rooms, a modern gym and stunning city views.
- Carnival is one of the oldest historical festivals in Malta, spanning the last five centuries, dating back to the Knights’ of St John’s occupancy in Malta.
- The Carnival celebrations are steeped in tradition and there are various activities taking place across the island over the Carnival weekend. Here are our top recommendations:
The Carnival Floats & Parades
- Malta’s Carnival features distinct floats, masks and choreographed dances, developed from traditions passed down through history.
- Carnival festivities last a full five days, with rival celebrations taking place both in Valletta and Floriana. This rivalry has brought on innovative celebrations including finely decorated horses and carriages and amazing fireworks displays.
Malta Carnival Traditions
- As years have passed, other Carnival traditions have followed suit, including Carnival floats pulled by mules, the Qarċilla, a fake satiric wedding which still takes place today, and the Kukkanja in St George’s Square Valletta, a game still popular in Gozo where participants need to climb a greasy pole while avoiding obstacles.
- The folk dance il-Maltija is also very popular during the festivities, with most locals attending dancing lessons after the Christmas period to prepare their dances for Carnival.
- Stay just steps from the Carnival celebrations at The Cumberland Hotel, rated “Excellent” by guests with exceptional breakfasts, perfect location and beautifully decorated rooms. Our top choice for convenience.
- Friday 9th Feb – Sunday 11th Feb 2024 – Carnival festivities include prolific late-night street parties in Valletta old town throughout Carnival, however the busiest days are the weekend, from Friday to Sunday.
- Anyone can dress up, wear a mask and let loose! Enjoy the simple merriment, spontaneity, and downright silliness of the weekend. The carnival spirit in Malta is something to behold!
- Stay in the centre of Valletta, close to the street parties. The capital has some stylish boutique hotels located in refurbished period and historical buildings.
Gay Malta Carnival Events
- Lollipop hosts a Special Edition of their pop-up party with a unique Carnival theme each year.
- The party runs throughout the year with more than 15 different events scheduled.
- Lollipop Carnival edition will take place on Saturday 10th February, 2024.
Malta Carnival Parades
- Sunday 11th, Tuesday 13th and Wednesday 14th 2023 – The mainstay of Maltese Carnival are the incredible epic, giant carnival floats and the main parades!
- The local carnival groups spend a whole year in secrecy preparing for the four days of events to participate and compete in the Carnival parade.
- Float building in Malta is an art form that is passed down from generation to generation through the family’s. Float builders take great pride and enthusiasm in their work.
- The main parades take place in Floriana and Valletta.
- Awaiting route and times for the 2024 edition.
Carnival in Nadur
- Another key carnival celebration takes place in the village of Nadur on the island of Gozo. Carnival in Nadur, a small village in Gozo, is one of the main places to be for carnival during the weekend. Its celebrations are quite different to Valletta.
- The Nadur celebrations are not organised by any committee, instead it is a big spontaneous street party! The island books up well in advance for Carnival, so plan months ahead! – BOOK NOW
Where to stay in Valletta during Carnival?
The following Malta Hotels are close to the city’s Carnival celebrations:
Discover where to party, play and stay with our insider gay guide to Malta.
Gay Map of Valletta, Malta
The main nightlife area in Malta is situated in Paceville. Here one can find a good number of restaurants, bars, clubs and other entertainment venues. Malta’s main gay club is called AXM, located in St.Georges Street Paceville. Malta is an island full of sandy beaches, good weather, thriving nightlife and shopping centres is sure enough to keep anyone busy.
Recommended Hotels in Malta By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Malta that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
5 Star, Luxury
Set on the seafront in Saint Julian’s, this luxury 5-star hotel offering panoramic views of the Mediterranean Sea Offering a spa with indoor swimming pool, 4 outdoor pools. The spacious rooms feature a large balcony and are air-conditioned and feature Wi-Fi access, a tea/coffee maker, and a satellite LCD TV. Some rooms offer access to the Executive lounges.
5 Star, Readers Choice
Set in the heart of St Julians, InterContinental Malta is 200 m from its own free private beach on St. George’s Bay. The elegant and spacious rooms offer satellite TV, air conditioning, and a tea and coffee maker. All rooms feature free WiFi and a balcony or terrace with city views or garden views. Free sports facilities include indoor and outdoor pools and squash courts.
Hugo’s Boutique Hotel
4 Star, Adults Only
Featuring a restaurant and free WiFi throughout, Hugo’s Boutique Hotel is located 140 m from St. George’s Beach in St. Julians. It offers both elegant rooms and suites. Air-conditioned accommodation comes with a satellite flat-screen TV, coffee machine and minibar. The bathroom includes a hairdryer and free toiletries. Some rooms have a balcony
Holiday Inn Express
3 Star, Location
Just 120 m from St. George’s Bay beach, the Holiday Inn Express – Malta is located in St Julian’s. It offers free WiFi, an on-site bar and modern rooms with a satellite flat-screen TV. All rooms at the Malta Holiday Inn Express come with air conditioning, a pillow menu and a USB charging station. The private bathroom has free toiletries and a hairdryer.
Video Of Carnival Malta
Highlights of Malta’s Carnival Parades
Top Gay Neighbourhoods in Malta
Discover the best places to stay in Malta. First stop? Valletta, the island’s charming capital, has a rich heritage and vibrant atmosphere. Alternatively, find relaxation and entertainment in Sliema and St. Julian’s, known for their picturesque waterfronts, lively nightlife, and welcoming ambience.
Valletta | Capital of Malta
- Stay in the heart of Malta’s capital city, Valletta, to immerse yourself in its historic charm, UNESCO-listed architecture, and lively cultural scene.
- The capital is known for its impressive fortifications and well-preserved Baroque buildings.
- Staying in Valletta means you’re right in the centre of all the action, close to the best bars, hotels, and restaurants.
- Discover the best things to see and do in Valletta.
Enjoy a vibrant coastal ambience with trendy promenades, shops, and cafes just across the harbour from Valletta.
A beachside town known for its exciting nightlife, lux hotels, & stunning Spinola Bay, 20 minutes from Valletta.