From: Friday, November 24, 2023
To: Saturday, January 6, 2024
Malaga celebrates Christmas with some of Europe’s most spectacular light displays, charming Christmas Markets and mild December afternoons, perfect for exploring its historical attractions.
- Stay in the centre of Malaga, close to all of the Christmas celebrations at Molina Lario rated “Fabulous” by guests. The hotel is spread across two renovated 19th-century buildings with spacious rooms and a beautiful rooftop terrace.
Malaga Christmas Lights
- November 24th to January 6th, 2024 – Malaga’s Christmas lights attract millions of visitors from late December to the Epiphany.
- The official Switch-on takes place at 7 pm. The world-famous spectacular transforms the city’s streets into a great light and sound show.
- This year almost 2 million LED bulbs will light up Malaga daily from 6.30 pm until midnight and until 2 am at weekends.
- Calle Larios is Málaga’s version of New York’s Fifth Avenue, lined with traditional businesses and world-famous fashion brands.
- The city has a new design for Christmas 2022, 16 celestial angels on 32 columns that stretch the entire length of the street.
- Light and sound shows occur from 6.30, 8 and 10 pm every evening except the 24th and 31st of December until January 6th.
- But don’t worry if you miss the music, the lights are beautiful, and there’ll be a great Christmas atmosphere!
- Stay just steps from the Christmas lights at the Room Mate Valeria rated “Superb” by guests featuring designer rooms with views of the Mediterranean sea. The rooftop terrace is a popular meeting spot.
- Alameda Principal features 500 leaf-themed hanging lights in the ficus trees and six brightly-lit almond trees.
- Calle San Juan (parallel to Calle Nueva) features 24 giant Christmas chandeliers and an ‘Enchanted Cave’.
- Christmas chandeliers also hang along Calle Molina Lario and the 11 side streets off Calle Larios.
Malaga Christmas Trees
This year Malaga has five giant Christmas trees dotted across the city at the following points:
- Plaza de la Marina.
- Plaza de la Constitución – you can go “inside” the tree.
- Plaza del Obispo – this tree looks magical at night next to the illuminated Cathedral façade.
- Plaza de Enrique García Herrera – on the square west of Calle San Juan.
- And in Huelin Park, lighting up the lake.
Video Mapping Malaga Cathedral
- November 26th, 2022 to January 6th, 2023 – Malaga Cathedral is transformed with a 3D video mapping show on the south tower throughout the festive season.
- The display occurs thrice each evening at 6.30 pm, 8 pm and 10 pm.
- Upgrade your Malaga Christmas and New Year experience at the “Superb” rated Vincci Hotel offering guests luxurious rooms with private terraces, a modern gym and highly-rated breakfasts.
- December 3rd to 7th, December 9th & December 24th 2022 – 120 drones will fly to create fantastic light displays in the sky over the city’s port from 7.30 pm.
- The best vantage points to view the Drone Shows are from Palmeral de las Sorpresas, Plaza de la Marina, Muelle Uno, and the walkway up to the Gibralfaro.
Malaga Christmas Markets
Malaga hosts several Christmas Markets, each with its own unique appeal. Sample Malaga’s traditional sweets, including mantecados (shortbread), marzipan, turrón (nougat) and borrachuelos (Málaga wine-flavoured fried pastries).
The following are our top recommendations:
- Paseo del Parque – Open from noon until 8 pm daily throughout December – Home to over 100 Christmas stalls located in the centre of Malaga, selling a range of gift items, nativity figures and New Year fireworks,
- Christmas market at “Muelle Uno “- Open every Sunday until January 10th – Located in the tourist area of the Port of Malaga, selling a range of artisan gifts and delicious delicacies.
- Plaza Merced Market – Sunday 4, Sunday 5, Thursday 8 and Saturday, December 17th between 11 am and 7 pm – One of the top 10 Christmas markets in Spain, featuring several designers, local food producers and charming handmade gifts.
- Soho Market – Tuesday, 6, Saturday, ten and Sunday, December 17th, from 11 am to 7 pm – Located on Calle Tomas Heredia in the Soho district, selling arts and craft gifts.
- Sabor a Malaga – 4 to December 8th between 10 am and 9 pm – on Paseo del Parque – 4-day market showcasing typical produce from Malaga including cheese, olive oil, cold cuts, pastries, chocolate and liqueurs.Yum!
Cirque du Soleil on Ice
- December 11th to 18th, 2023 – The World-famous circus group returns to Malaga during December to perform Crystal, a breathtaking production on Ice.
- The event takes place at the Martin Carpena Sports Stadium Arena. The venue will become an ice rink for nine days.
- Book Your ticket for this event
New Year’s Eve in Malaga
- December 31st, from 10 pm – Plaza de la Constitución plays host to Malaga’s New Year’s Eve celebrations.
- The event includes live entertainment concerts from early evening, the midnight countdown, and 12 grapes of luck.
- Events continue until 2 am. Many Gay visitors to Malaga head to Torremolinos after the NYE celebrations end and party late into the night.
Gay Christmas Parties and Events in Malaga
- El Carmen Bar – Cozy bar and restaurant with a spacious interior and a large terrace overlooking the Plaza de la Merced, with weekly drag shows.
- Lola’s Copas – Small new gay bar with two floors, an outdoor terrace and an intimate vibe.
- Calle de Bruselas – Popular gay bar with a colourful interior featuring eclectic decoration inspired by Andalusia, plus an outdoor terrace. Serves Cocktails, Cakes and Cocktails.
- Kipfer & Lover – One of the longest-running terrace bars in Malaga right in the centre and owned by José Kipfer, one of the best art collectors in the city.
- La Comedia – The only gay nightclub in downtown Malaga, open from Wednesday to Saturday until 7 am. The club is small but fun, and the entrance price includes one drink.
- Torremolinos – 40+ gay bars and clubs are just a 20-minute commuter train away from Malaga.
Where to stay in Malaga
Here are the hotels we recommend that have good reviews and keep you close to all the action
Only YOU Hotel, Palacio Solecio, AC Hotel Málaga Palacio, Vincci Larios Diez
Where to stay close to all the gay bars
Our top 4 selections with the best rates.
Only YOU Hotel Málaga is the
hotel we stay at in Malaga
For further information and advice on
Malaga Christmas & New Year Website
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Malaga that keep you close to all the shops, restaurants & bars
Walk through the streets of Malaga and experience the magic of Christmas