From: Awaiting dates
To: Awaiting dates
Christmas in Cologne 2024
Cologne is a Christmas Wonderland with stunning markets dotted across the old town! The gay scene also hosts wonderful parties and events and there is even a dedicated and colourful gay market, Heavenue!
- Are you visiting for Cologne Christmas Markets? Stay close to the markets and the bars at 25 Hours Hotel Koeln The Circle, rated “Fabulous” by guests featuring beautifully decorated rooms and excellent on-site bar and restaurant.
The Most famous Christmas markets in Cologne include:
The Cologne cathedral Christmas market.
- Awaiting dates – With the Cathedral forming an impressive backdrop, Cologne’s landmark “Cathedral christmas market” features more than 150 attractively designed wooden pavilions.
- Beneath the largest Christmas tree in the Rhineland, you can choose from numerous sweet delicacies, watch artisans at work and drink “Original Christmas mulled wine” from the festively decorated Christmas mugs.
- Stay close to the market at the The Legend Hotel, offering luxurious suites with a “Superb” rating.
The Old Christmas market.
- Probably the most attractive christmas market is the one on the Alter Markt in front of Cologne´s town hall.
- From treats, toys, and items to waken that feeling of nostalgia, through to handicrafts and Christmas products – here you’ll find everything your heart desires.
- Stay close to this market at the MGallery Hotel, with beautiful views of the Cathedral and delicious breakfast options.
- The market is a 15 minute walk from the Neumarkt main christmas market.
Angel’s Christmas market.
- Colognes Neumarkt transforms into “Angel’s Christmas Market”. This is the main Christmas market in the city, famous for its fluttering angels, who sprinkle fairy dust on the streets awaiting Santa’s arrival who makes his appearance on a grand horse. How gay is that!
- Neumarkt is the largest of Cologne squares, located in the heart of the city’s shopping district and two busy shopping centres, Neumarkt-Galerie and the Neumarkt-Passage.
- Check out the top hotels closest to the market.
Harbour Christmas market.
- In a picturesque setting overlooking the Rhine, the Cologne Harbour Christmas market at the Chocolate Museum brings the gateway to the Rheinauhafen to life and gives festive Cologne a maritime flavour.
- Products sold here tend to be more artistic and of higher quality with some unique items on offer, including some hand crafted Christmas Cards. Food here is also delicious.
- The Rheinauhafen is located along the river Rhine between the Südbrücke and Severinsbrücke, just south of the inner city’s historic old town. The district includes several cafés, restaurants, and galleries and some of the city’s most unique architecture and the art’otel Cologne.
- The centerpiece of the new Cologne promenade is the trio of buildings called the “Kranhäuser” (crane towers), which rise to a height of about 60 meters. The buildings, which are shaped like hoisting cranes, are defining elements of the skyline on the west bank of the Rhine.
- The market is a 25 minute walk from the main market.
The Stadtgarten Christmas market.
- The Christmas market in the Stadtgarten exudes charm, attracting both locals and visitors alike. Slap bang in the middle of the hip Belgian Quarter, it has a romantic, village-like feel to it.
- The market is a 15 minute walk from the main market.
- Cologne’s Belgian Quarter is home to some of the city’s young fashion designers, custom artisan products and abundant trendy pubs, cafés and restaurants that radiate the charm of “old” Brussels, Liège & co. in the very heart of Cologne.
The Gay Christmas Market – Heavenue Cologne
- Colorful market booths in pop art style, decorated with romantic elements and snow-white garlands – Everyone is welcome when the “Christmas paradise on Earth” opens its doors.
- The market is a 7 minute walk from the Neumarkt main christmas market.
- Get the insider guide on Cologne’s gay christmas market.
Getting around the markets, The Christmas Market Express
- The Christmas-Market-Express is ideal for all of those who would like to visit more than just one of the beautiful Christmas Markets of Cologne even in wind and weather.
- The train drives through the lavishly decorated streets of Cologne’s old city and goes directly to the central stops which are located nearby four of the most beautiful Christmas Markets.
- Cologne has two different gay districts. Rudolfplatz is home to some of the more modern bars and clubs, while the Old Town is where you will find more traditional German gay bars.
- Enjoy a fun and friendly festive atmosphere in the gay bars and cafes during the Christmas Market celebrations. The following venues are popular with both visitors and tourists:
- Cafe Era – Modern gay friendly cafe with a busy street terrace open daily, perfect for lunch.
- Cafe Rico – Popular post-shopping meeting spot in the designer shops district, Open Wed-Sun
Popular Gay Bars
- Amadeus – Cafe Bar in the old town close to the Klein St Martin tower.
- Barcelon – Art Cafe with some Mediterranean inspiration from Barcelona.
- Baustelle 4U – Popular gay bar in the old town with camp music and friendly staff.
- Casino-Eck – German style bar open from Tuesday to Saturday with a traditional feel.
- ExCorner – Perhaps the busiest gay bar in Cologne, with more than 30 years of history.
- Exile – Busy bar with modern interior and younger guys, music videos. Open Wed to Sat.
- Gentle Bars – Bear-friendly bar in the old town with a fun atmosphere.
- Kattwinkel – The busiest bar in the Eigelstein quarter.
- Mumu – Home to the young and the pretty. Open daily from 7 pm.
- Schampanja – Alternative gay bar, popular with guys in the 30s and 40s in the heart of the gay “Bermuda Triangle”.
- Zur Kaiserin – Small gay bar in the old town close to several other popular venues.
- Deck 5 – Small cruising bar with darkroom, popular with 30+ crowd.
- Kinkz – Fetish bar right in the heart of Cologne.
- Pullermanns – Longest running fetish bar in Cologne open daily until 3 am.
- Badehaus Babylon Cologne – Very busy sauna in Cologne complete with pool and host of several theme nights.
- Phoenix Sauna – Spacious sauna, busy at weekends when its open 24 hours and attracts lots of young guys.
The following hotels are close to the main Christmas market and a short ride to the city’s bustling gay bars
Gay Map of Cologne
There two gay areas in Cologne: Rudolfplatz, known locally as the “Bermuda Triangle” is more modern in style with Many of the cafes, bars and clubs around have started during the last twenty years. The Old Town is home to more Traditional pubs and bars for mixed ages.
Recommended Hotels in Cologne By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Cologne that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
5 Star, Luxury
- 5-star, health club, large indoor pool.
- Close to the gay district.
- Soundproofed, marble bathroom.
- Prime city center location, luxurious amenities, ideal for relaxation.
4 Star, Readers Choice
- 4-star, unique bar, vibrant ambiance.
- Close to the gay district.
- Air-conditioned, flat-screen TV.
- Creative design, central location, perfect for a unique experience.
4 Star, Great Value
- 4-star, indoor pool, modern equipped gym.
- Close to the gay district.
- Flat-screen TV, elegant interiors.
- Heart of Cologne, great value, modern facilities, leisure comfort.
- Modern-style, central, free WiFi.
- A short walk to the gay bars.
- Designer furniture, equipped kitchen.
- Quiet yet central, ideal for longer stays, close to attractions.
Video of Cologne Christmas Market
Promotional Video for Cologne Christmas Market
Top Gay Neighbourhoods in Cologne
Cologne, affectionately referred to as the “Gay Capital of Germany”, boasts vibrant gay neighbourhoods brimming with history, culture, and LGBTQ+ pride. The city’s heart beats loudly in the districts of Rudolfplatz and the Old Town’s famous Bermuda Triangle.
Altstadt-Nord | Cologne Old Town
- Cologne’s gay scene is around Heumarkt-Mathiasstrasse in the Old Town (Altstadt). It is the city’s original gayborhood.
- The gaybourhood is home to low-key gay bars, a leather vibe and famous cruise clubs.
- One of the pioneering districts for LGBTQ+ rights in Germany, it hosts several post-parade parties during Cologne Pride.
- Discover the best things to see and do in the old town.
Nicknamed “The Bermuda Triangle”, located west of town and home to Babylon & Phoenix saunas.
Known for its hip atmosphere offering a blend of chic boutiques, trendy restaurants, & lively bars.