From: Thursday, November 23, 2023
To: Friday, December 29, 2023
Discover Colmar’s French Fairytale Christmas markets on the border of Germany in the Alsace region to the east of France.
- For a genuinely Luxurious Colmar Christmas experience, stay at La Maison des Têtes, rated “Excellent” by guests, located in a historic building, blending traditional charm with modern luxury.
- The city of Colmar, famous for its mediaeval timber-framed houses, is transformed into a magical land of twinkling lights, magnificent Christmas Trees, teddy-bear walls and beautiful chalet stalls selling traditional Christmas gifts and treats.
- Colmar hosts six distinctive Christmas Markets dotted across the historic city centre along a 1-kilometre trail.
- Most market visitors arrive via Strasbourg Airport, a 33 km drive from Colmar.
- From Monday to Thursday: 11:00am to 7:00pm, Friday and Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am to 8:00pm
- 24.12: 10:00am to 5:00pm, 25.12: 11:00am to 8:00pm, 26.12 : 11:00am to 7:00pm
- Access to downtown Colmar is closed to all vehicles to facilitate access to the Christmas Markets of Colmar by visitors.
Place des Dominicains
- Overlooked by the former Dominican Church (now a Museum), the largest of the Colmar Christmas Markets features 40 or so Bavarian Style Chalets set around the church in a horseshoe shape.
- Enjoy delicious Glühwein in one of the famous Colmar Mugs and browse from a range of handmade Christmas decorations.
- Stay close to the markets at the Hotel Restaurant Le Maréchal, rated “Excellent” by guests with spacious rooms in a perfect location for exploring the markets.
Place Jeanne d’Arc
- Located close to the famous timber-framed houses of Colmar, Place Jeanne d’Arc offers a wide range of artisanal products.
- The Square of Place Jeanne d’Arc serves a wide range of Alsace foodstuffs, including gingerbread, Christmas Bredele, and local wines.
- One of the most photographed locations in Colmar, Little Venice is a picturesque market and home to the city’s beautifully crafted Nativity scene.
Place de l’Ancienne Douane
- Translating literally into ‘Ancient Customs Square”, visitors can find a sculpture dedicated to Auguste Bartholdi, the famous designer of the Statue of Liberty.
- The market features over 50 chalets selling a wide range of handmade items from Alsace.
- Visit this market at night and take in the spectacular lights around the former Customs House.
Place de la Cathedrale
- The perfect market for the ultimate food experience, Place de la Cathedrale is home to nine chalets serving delicious gourmet food.
- Place de la Cathedrale is a semi-covered market with tables and chairs; relax and discover plenty of Alsace specialities and some vin chaud!
- Culinary shows are held on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays at 5 PM. and feature local Eastern French cuisine.
- The James Boutique Hôtel is rated “Wonderful” by guests and is famous for its wide range of breakfast options, including vegetarian and gluten-free options.
Koïfhus (Colmar Indoor Christmas Market)
- Take a break from the cold at the indoor market, Situated steps from the Place de l’Ancienne Douane, which specialises in vintage gift items.
- The market is spread across two floors and features designer jewellery pieces, vintage maps, antique books and hand-turned wooden products.
Take a trip to Strasbourg Christmas Market.
- Combine a trip to Colmar with a visit to Strasbourg, “The Capital of Christmas”, just a 50-minute drive away.
- The 67-kilometre distance from Strasbourg to Colmar takes around 30-35 minutes by train.
- Strasbourg’s Station (Gare de Strasbourg) is the second-largest station in France.
- There is an average of 29 train services daily between Strasbourg and Colmar, leaving approximately every 36 minutes.
Here are the hotels we recommend that have good reviews and keep you close to all the action,
L’Esquisse Hotel & Spa, Relais & Châteaux La Maison, Novotel Suites, Le Colombier
Where to stay close to all the gay bars
Our top 4 selections with the best rates.
L’Esquisse Hotel & Spa, is the hotel
we stay at when we are in Colmar
For further information and advice on
Colmar Christmas Market Website
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Colmar that keep you close to all the shops, restaurants & bars
Take a tour of the markets before you visit in person!