From: Thursday, July 4, 2024
To: Thursday, July 4, 2024
Carrera de Tacones
The High Heel Race Madrid 2024
Madrid’s high heel race has spawned many copycat events worldwide, but their annual Pride race is one of the biggest in Europe and the most competitive.
- Visiting for Madrid Pride? With 2 million people attending, you need to book your hotel now!
Madrid High Heel Race
- Thursday July 4th, 2024 – Grab your pride outfit and get ready for the race of your life! You don’t even have to drag up, the only rule is you have to wear high heels. (of course many do drag with spectacular costumes.. but the choice is yours).
- Last-minute entrants can stop by one of two stations where they are transformed with makeup and accessories, ready for the race ahead.
- The race is organised into three qualifying rounds and finals. There are prizes for all finalists – and the winner, of course: dinners for two, cash, discounts and coupons.
- The event has become a TV sensation, covered by national and international broadcasters.
- The first race begins at 6 pm on Calle Pelayo, but arrive much earlier to grab a place to view the race.
- Madrid’s high heel takes over Calle Pelayo, one of the oldest streets just 3 mins walk from Chueca, the city’s famous gay district.
- Stay close to the High Heel race at the Ayre Gran Hotel Colón, with spacious rooms and delicious breakfast options.
- Madrid Gay Pride takes place on the first weekend in July each year. The High Heel race on Thursday leads into some epic parties and events including The Mr Gay Pride contest, the We Party Pride Festival and the Madrid Pride March on the final Sunday.
Where to stay in Gay Madrid?
The following Madrid hotels are currently trending with our readers. All are close to the city’s top attractions and the gay district.
Gay Map of Madrid
Most of the gay bars in Madrid are located in Chueca, the city’s gay village and epicentre of all Spanish gay life. Hotels here fill up fast, so book well in advance, especially for key events.
Recommended Hotels in Madrid By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Madrid that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
5 Star, Luxury
- Small Luxury Hotel Member
- Iconic Views of Gran Via
- 8-minute walk to Chueca
- Fabulous Breakfast
- Superb wellness centre and sauna, glamorous original architecture and special extras, Nespresso coffee machines.
4 Star, Readers Choice
- 4-star central location
- Superb breakfasts
- 6-minute walk to Chueca
- Modern stylish rooms
- Spacious rooms have balcony views and the rooftop bar is perfect for pre-dinner cocktails and offers sweeping city views.
Iberostar Las Letras
4 Star, Great Value
- Design Hotel in historic building
- Rooftop pool and sundeck
- 8-minute walk to Chueca
- Large fitness area
- Charming hotels with high-ceilings and extra touches, including a library and suites with private jacuzzis.
Room Mate Oscar
3 Star, Location
- Popular gay-friendly hotel
- Superb roof terrace and pool
- Located in Chueca
- Stylish retro decor with character
- One of the most popular hotels in Madrid, with professional staff and a perfect location for exploring the gay district of Chueca.
Video Madrid High Heel Race
Highlights of previous races
Top Gay Neighbourhoods in Madrid
Discover the vibrant spirit of Madrid, a city that embraces diversity and offers an inclusive escape for LGBTQ+ travellers, blending rich cultural heritage, lively nightlife, and a warm, welcoming atmosphere. While Chueca is the primary gay area, other neighbourhoods in Madrid also offer a range of bars and clubs with different vibes and unique experiences worth exploring.
Chueca | Madrid’s Gay Village
- Chueca is located in the centre of Madrid, just north of Gran Vía and is the heart of Madrid’s LGBTQ+ community.
- The neighbourhood offers a colourful and lively ambience with many gay bars, clubs, and shops.
- It is celebrated for its inclusivity and hosts one of Europe’s biggest Pride festivals.
- Discover the best things to see and do in Chueca.
The bustling area is perfect for those who want to be close to major attractions and gay bars and clubs.
Hip neighbourhood with vintage stores & an artistic flair, trendy bars & cafes surround Plaza del Dos de Mayo