From: Wednesday, February 7, 2024
To: Sunday, February 18, 2024
Carnival in Santa Cruz de Tenerife 2023
Carnival is the best time to experience the pink nightlife in Tenerife’s capital, Santa Cruz. The city hosts one of the biggest Carnival parties in Europe. The theme for 2023 is New York, so expect a lot of US themed floats, costumes and performances.
- Visiting Tenerife for Carnival? Book your stay early! The AC Hotel is rated “Fabulous” and is just a short trip to the parties and the beaches. The hotel has a rooftop pool, fully equipped gym and stylish designer rooms.
The Gay Parties
Popular gay business Galeón, organises a “chiringay” zone in the central square (“chiringo” means a street or beach bar), in Plaza de San Francisco, with the support of the island’s LGBT association, Algarabía.
- Plaza de San Francisco is the hub of the gay carnival in Tenerife, where everyone’s visible, under makeup, sequins and wigs! Drinks are reasonably priced and the organisers host a fun event with camp music and several artists and performances.
- Meanwhile, another party takes place on Calle Candelaria. This alternative zone is intended more for dancing away to quality electronic music in the background. It’s a perfect plan for anyone who’s more into this scene than the Latino/camp atmosphere of the chiringáis in the plaza.
- Popular gay bars in Santa Cruz include, Heroes Bar for great cocktails, The Boss for cruising and Clandestina for Drag Shows and DJs.
- Stay in the heart of Santa Cruz, just steps from the bars and restaurants at the Urban Anaga Hotel, featuring spacious designer rooms, highly-rated breakfasts and an excellent location.
Santa Cruz Carnival – Schedule of Events
- Wednesday 7th February 2024 – Election of the Carnival Queen, 21:30 at the Centro Internacional de Ferias y Congresos.
- Friday 9th February 2024 – Opening Parade, 20:00 – Starting at la plaza de la República Dominicana, ending at La Marina and la Avenida Francisco La Roche.
- Wednesday 14th February 2024 – Burial of the Sardine, 22:00 – at la avenida Marítima.
- Saturday 17th February 2024 – Daytime Carnival, 13:00 – Plaza del Príncipe, Ron Barceló-Plaza de La Candelaria and Avenida Francisco La Roche
- Sunday 18th February 2024 – Parade of Vintage Cars, 12:00 – Francis La Roche Avenue, followed by the ending party – Prince’s Square 5:00 p.m. Grand End of Carnival Party 2023
The Main Parade
- Tuesday 21 February 2023 – Rhythm, colour, flamboyance, luxury and of course the most brilliant spectacle are the fundamental ingredients for this Carnival.
- The Santa Cruz de Tenerife Carnival is the most “Brazilian” of all the Spanish carnivals. After all, Santa Cruz is the twin city of Rio de Janeiro.
- The highlight of the carnival is the main parade, el Coso, which takes place on the last Tuesday (Shrove Tuesday) of the event.
- Events kick off at 11:00 at Plaza del Príncipe and continue at 20:00 at the Ron Barceló Stage in the Plaza de La Candelaria.
Hotels close to the gay area in Santa Cruz
Recommended Hotels in Tenerife Santa Cruz
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Santa Cruz that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
Iberostar Grand Mencey
5 Star, Luxury
This stylish, urban hotel with a spa is located in a colonial-style building. Iberostar Heritage Grand Mencey offers spacious rooms equipped with a flat-screen TV. Free high speed WiFi is available throughout. Rooms feature hardwood floors and a modern décor. Satellite TV and a mini bar. Some rooms have a balcony with city views and a private bathroom including a bathrobe, slippers and a hairdryer.
4 Star, Readers Choice
This chic urban hotel is next to García Sanabria Park, in the centre of Tenerife’s Santa Cruz. It offers a gym, and rooftop pool with park and Atlantic Ocean views. The Taburiente Hotel’s stylish, air-conditioned rooms have a TV and a safe. They feature wooden floors and have a private bathroom and free WiFi. 2 smart restaurants. There is a fashionable lounge bar with a glass-walled terrace.
Urban Anaga Hotel
4 Star, Great Value
Set in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, offers accommodation with a restaurant, a fitness centre and a bar. Among the facilities are a 24-hour front desk and room service, along with free WiFi throughout the property. The units come with air conditioning, a flat-screen TV with satellite channels, a kettle, a shower, a hairdryer and a desk. At the hotel all rooms are equipped with a wardrobe and a private bathroom.
Hotel Colon Rambla
4 Star, Location
The Colon Rambla is fronted by an impressive glass wall which continues around to the garden and outdoor terrace. Air-conditioned rooms have a plasma satellite TV, a minibar and a pillow menu. Non-smoking rooms and a laundry service are available. You can enjoy the hotel’s outdoor pool, terrace and pretty gardens, as well as the restaurant and bar with terrace.