From: Awaiting dates
To: Awaiting dates
Capital City Pride 2024
The annual Capital City Pride Festival celebration is held on the second weekend in June every summer.
Get ready for a weekend of fun as Iowa’s most liberal city is awash in rainbows and hot guys for the annual Capital City Pride festival.
- Visiting for Pride? Stay in the East Village, home to the city’s buzzing gay bars and clubs. Stay in the Surety Hotel, one of Des Moines’ most gay friendly destinations and close to all of the popular bars and clubs in the city.
Capital City Pride Main Parade
- Awaiting dates typically Saturday in mid June – The main parade takes place at 4.30pm. The parade is expected to last three hours with the last contingent passing 14th and R at 7:30pm. Music and entertainment begins at the announcement stand and review stand at 3:30pm.
The Block Party
- Friday and Saturday – The Block Party begins at 3.30pm just as the parade ends and continues through the night until 10pm. The bock party offers beverages, food trucks, and facilities on 15th Street between P and Church Streets. Live music, DJS and shows will entertain visitors throughout the evening.
- Headliners include Matt and Kim on Friday and Todrick Hall on Saturday.
Each year the gay bars and clubs of Des Moines host popular gay pride events in the lead up to the parade. Some of the most popular include:
- Bubba’s Drag Brunch is a popular event during pride. Enjoy some southern cooking as DSM’s top drag personalities put on an unforgettable performance.
- Pride at Adventureland Park. Kick off your Pride Fest weekend with a day at Adventureland Park. From watersides, roller coasters and the water park. great fun! To be confirmed
- Pride Pet Parade is one of the most enjoyable events taking place during the festival. Schedule an appointment at the groomers, put on your best leash and collar combo and join Capital City Pride for the second annual Pride Pet Parade at the Brenton Skating Plaza.
- Drag King DSM Don’t miss out on Drag King DSM as they perform for their annual Pride Fest event at Wooly’s Des Moines.
The Garden Night Club
- The Garden Night Club hosts a series of events across the weekend including the popular, Mr, Ms, Mx Pride Contest with a different theme each year. Other events include the Capital Bears Bingo, outside stage entertainment, drag shows, a grill out and more.
Gay Des Moines
The Jewel of the Midwest, Des Moines is located in the middle of the heartland. Iowa’s largest city is an exciting place to visit. In the heart of the city you can find the Iowa State Capital, the Iowa Historical Building, and the beautifully restored Court Avenue and Fourth Street areas.
Des Moines has a vibrant gay community, with several gay bars in the East Village. From here, through Sherman Hill to Drake University there are gay-friendly neighborhoods. Waking is a great way to see Des Moines. Downtown has a unique Skywalk system connecting you to a variety of shops and restaurants.
- McKinley-Columbus Park is an historical area with narrower streets just steps to the gay clubs downtown.
- The River Bend neighborhood is located near the River. Its main thoroughfare, 3rd Street, cuts through both the business and entertainment districts in town. It has a lovely town square full of wonderful restaurants and shops.
- The Indianola Hills is downtown, and close to most things in the city. The neighborhood boasts plenty of lofts, cafes, and trendy shops and restaurants. It offers wide, tree-lined streets, and is close to the Raccoon River, which offers an area with many hiking and cycling trails.
- Blazing Saddle – Popular leather bar with guest porn stars, the Mr Iowa Leather contest and popular beer busts.
- Buddy’s – Relaxed mixed neighborhood bar next to Blazing Saddle.
- The Garden – Host to many of the biggest gay parties and events in the region. The venue has four bars, live shows, a patio, sexy strippers, guest porn stars and drag shows.
Where to stay during Des Moines Pride?
The following hotels are close to the city’s gay bars and pride festivities:
Recommended Hotels in Des Moines By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Des Moines that keep you close to all the shops, restaurants & bars
4 Star – Central Location
Surety Hotel features a restaurant, fitness center, a bar and shared lounge in Des Moines. Among the facilities at this property are a 24-hour front desk and room service, along with free WiFi throughout the property. Private parking can be arranged at an extra charge.
4 Star, Luxury
Every suite features a flat-screen TV with cable channels, desk, and sofa bed. Each Suite includes a fully equipped kitchen which includes a stove, microwave, refrigerator, dishwasher and dining table. A 24-hour front desk along with a fitness center and meeting room.
4 Star – Great Amenities
The hotel features accommodations with a restaurant, private parking, a fitness center and a bar. This 4-star hotel offers a 24-hour front desk and room service. The hotel has an indoor pool and an ATM. All rooms at the hotel are fitted with a seating area, a desk
Hampton Inn & Suites
3 Star – Comfort
A 40-inch flat-screen cable TV is provided in every room at Hampton Inn & Suites Des Moines Downtown, along with a microwave, fridge, and coffeemaker. The private bathrooms also come with a hairdryer. Extras include a desk and ironing facilities, an indoor pool