From: Awaiting dates
To: Awaiting dates
Bears Week New Zealand 2025 – Hot and Steamy in Summer
Who needs to hibernate in January? Set your bear sails for New Zealand and enjoy one of the furriest, friendliest bear events in the Southern hemisphere.
- Visiting Auckland? Stay in the Downtown district, close to all the city’s top attractions. The QT Auckland features spacious rooms with high end amenities and is rated “Fabulous” by guests.
The Bear Week
- Bear New Zealand Week events typically kick off in late January to Early February.
- Higlights include a Comedy night, The Wet Fur Party at Centurion Sauna on Beresford Square and the farewell brunch.
- The Hotel Fitzroy, rated “Fabulous”, close to the beach and features large rooms and a delicious breakfast menu.
Mr New Zealand Bear
- Friday – Events kick up a gear over the weekend with signature parties including the election of Mr New Zealand Bear.
- The contest is open to all current New Zealand residents and the winner will compete at Mr. Australasia Bear during Southern HiBearnation.
- Stay close to the city’s bustling gay life along Ponsonby Road.
Tri-Nations annual party
- Saturday, 2025 Venue to be confirmed – On Saturday its the Tri-Nations annual party, an event that has established itself as one of the biggest gay dance events of the year in New Zealand, at Phoenix Cabaret, Auckland Central.
- Phoenix Cabaret is Auckland’s largest Drag Queen stage show and dinner theatre experience! Indulge in a night of great food, hilarious entertainment and wicked memories to last a lifetime.
- Located at the heart of Gay Auckland on Karangahape Road.
- Check out the top hotels close to the parties and the gay bars and cubs.
- Sunday’s events include the bear brunch, the Wet Fur Sauna Party, Axe Throwing and the Leather & Gear Night.
Island Trip – Monday
- 9:00 AM – Rangitoto Island trip setting off from 360 Discovery Tours Hut. A day trip to the scenic volcanic island with a return ferry at 2:20 PM.
- 9:00 PM – Underbear Party at G.A.Y, Auckland Central. A party to dance the night away.
Eat it and Beat It – Tuesday
- 1:00 PM – Eat it & Beat it at Harbour View Reserve, Point Chevalier. The closing beach event with food and fun to end the Bear New Zealand Week.
- In Auckland, New Zealand, the most well-known gay district is located around Karangahape Road, often known as “K Road.”
- This area is renowned for its nightlife and is home to various LGBTQ-friendly bars, clubs, and shops.
- Additionally, Ponsonby is another area that is considered LGBTQ-friendly, with a range of bars, cafes, and restaurants catering to the LGBTQ community.
Popular Gay (and gay popular) Venues in Auckland
- The Eagle Bar – Premier gay bar in Auckland with a great atmosphere for LGBTQ community members to hang out on weekends. Specializes in cocktails and beers with a decently priced menu. Features a free jukebox for late-night vibes.
- Family Bar and Club – Prominent gay bar in Auckland city with 4 different bars and areas for partying all night. Popular for karaoke nights and drag shows, attracting large groups during weekends. Opening Time: 10 pm to 4 am. .
- SPQR Café and Bar – Warm ambience bar in Ponsonby known for cocktails, wine, and pizzas. Offers quick service, friendly staff, and great music for a fun-filled night. Opening Time: Lunch 12-3 pm, Dinner 5:30 pm-Late | Closed on Mondays.
- Caluzzi Bar and Cabaret – Friendly and inclusive bar with drag queens hosting hilarious stage shows and serving delicious food and drinks. Electric atmosphere with a fun-filled experience.
- Bamboo Tiger – Cosy bar with fun vibes, offering great food, drinks, and live music and outdoor seating. Check out their cocktail menu.
- G.A.Y. Auckland – Welcoming gay bar with drag shows and great music attracting large numbers of gay men. Offers a fun atmosphere to let loose and enjoy the night. Opening Time: Friday and Saturday – 10 pm to 4 am.
Recommended Hotels in Auckland
The following hotels are currently trending with our readers. All are close to Auckland’s most popular attractions and a short ride to the city’s gay bars and the bear events:
Gay Map of Auckland
The gay bars and clubs are located on Karangahape road and have some good hotel and apartments close by that will not break the bank.
Recommended Hotels in Auckland By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Auckland that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
5 Star, Luxury
- 5-Star, Central Uptown Location
- Close to the gay district
- High-speed internet, quality textiles
- Central uptown location near museums and galleries, perfect for a luxurious Auckland experience
M Social Auckland
4 Star, Readers Choice
- 4-Star, Iconic Quay Street
- A short walk to the gay bars
- Satellite TV, air conditioning
- Situated in the heart of Auckland, offers stunning harbor views, ideal for exploring local shops and cafes
Four Points by Sheraton
4 Star, Great Value
- 4-Star, Restaurant, Fitness Centre
- A short walk to the gay bars
- Flat-screen TV, air conditioning
- Offers comfortable accommodation with a restaurant, fitness center, perfect for a valuable Auckland stay
4 Star, Location
- 4-Star, Modern Apartments
- A short taxi ride to the gay bars
- Satellite TV, kitchenette
- Provides modern apartments with kitchen facilities, ideal for a comfortable and self-sufficient stay
Video Gay Auckland
A guide to the best of the city with gay guide, Gay Astray!