From: Wednesday, August 7, 2024
To: Saturday, August 10, 2024
Austin Gay Pride 2024
Austin Gay Pride week takes place each year in August and hosts a week long series of events and parties culminating in a major Parade on the Saturday of Pride week!
- The city fills up fast so book your hotel early. We recommend you stay in the downtown district. Guests love the Fairmont Austin giving the hotel a “Superb” rating. It is also host to the official pride pool party and features spacious rooms and central location.
Austin Pride Parade
- Saturday – August 10th 2024 – Austin’s pride parade is quite unique, joining Las Vegas as one of the few night time parade events in the USA. The Pride Parade keeps getting bigger and better with last year’s event drawing record numbers of parade participants and spectators to the streets of downtown Austin! Over 120+ entries, floats, special live performances & more!
- The parade kicks off at 8pm and runs until 11 pm from the Texas State Capitol, marching down Congress Avenue and culminating at Fourth Street/Bettie Naylor Street (names for longtime Austin LGBT advocate and lobbyist) on the bridge.
- The route includes 2 Emcee stage: At the intersection of Congress and 4th, and the Roof top at Rain!
- After the parade, stick around for after parties at nearby bars on Fourth Street and throughout the city.
- Stay close to the parade and after parties at the Hotel ZaZa Austin, rated “Superb” by guests, with a beautiful outdor pool and spacious rooms with high-end amenities.
Best Place to Watch the Parade
- Downtown hotel the Stephen F. Austin Royal Sonesta Hotel is hosting an Austin Pride Parade watch party, where people can view the parade from the terrace. There will be themed cocktails, and sales from the Cobble Peach drink will go towards Austin nonprofit Out Youth.
- The hotel is rated “Fabulous” by guests. Check rates now.
Austin Pride Festival
- Saturday – August 10th 2024 – Fiesta Gardens, 2101 Jesse Segovia St.
- Inflatable Games & Carnival Rides,
- Drag Queen Story Time under the Big Tree in the Family Zone 12pm-1pm,
- 140+ Vendor Booths, Drinks & Food, and more!
- Village runs from 11 am to 6 pm.
Official After Party – Rain on 4th
- Saturday – August 10th 2024 – Follow the rainbow flags to 4th Street (a/k/a Bettie Naylor Street), the heart of Austin’s Warehouse District.
- Rain on 4th is the busiest gay club in Austin hosting the annual pride street party. The event features an amazing lineup of musical artists and pop culture icons!
Oil Can Harry’s Pageant
- Sunday – Awaiting dates – Oil Can Harrys, Austin’s oldest gay bar, hosts the Weird City Pageant in honor of Austin Pride hosted by Lady Grackle
Fairmont Pride Weekend
- Friday to Sunday – To be confirmed – Enjoy a weekend of pool parties including a night time silent disco and drag brunch at Fairmont Austin Pride Weekend
- Head to the 7th floor of the Fairmont Hotel and enjoy the perfect weekend of events and end your pride celebrations with the ultimate recovery brunch.
- Stay at the host hotel, The Fairmont Austin, rated “Superb” by guests with one of the best pools in town.
W Hotel Pride Weekend
- Saturday and Sunday – To be confirmed – the W Hotel hosts a pre parade party on Saturday, complete with make-over stations, live DJs and a vendor market.
- Events end on Sunday with an afternoon pool party from 1 pm on the legendary Wet Deck.
Circuit Pride Pool Party
- Sunday – To be confirmed – The Equality Alliance hosts a special edition of its Pride Pool Party
- The event takes over the Thompson hotel with guest DJ Alex Acosta.
- Austin’s LGBTQ scene has it all. You don’t have to look for rainbow flags or limit yourself to one small part of Austin if you’re interested in experiencing everything that the city’s large and diverse LGBTQ community has to offer.
- Unlike many places, which have only one or two areas known as ‘gay districts,’ Austin’s LGBTQ residents are truly everywhere.
- Who needs a gayborhood when the whole city is one? We break down Austin by neighborhood, calling out a few of our favorite places and LGBTQ-owned businesses in each.
Downtown, Museums, gay dance clubs, a hike-and-bike trail around the lake — there’s something happening all day and all night in this city center. In 2012, a five-block section of West Fourth Street was renamed after Bettie Naylor, longtime Austin advocate for the rights of women and the LGBTQ community. Stay at the East Austin Hotel for a great experience, amazing pool and large rooms.
- OILCAN HARRY’S – Stop by OCH, the oldest gay bar in town, for weekly drag shows, late-night dancing and stiff drinks served by a super friendly bar staff. Insider Tip: Into sports? The back bar at OCH has been turned into a sports bar called Score.
- RAIN – Just two doors down from OCH, you’ll find this quintessential gay club. We’re talking DJs blasting pop remixes, a light-up dance floor and weekly amateur strip-off competitions.
- HIGHLAND – A popular gay lounge and dance club, this venue features guest DJs, dance competitions and themed events like drag queen bingo. Drag. Queen. Bingo!
- IRON BEAR – The only bear bar in town doesn’t care if you’re a bear; cubs, otters, wolves, and everyone else is welcome here, too. Insider Tip: Go on Sunday for a free karaoke party
With a strip of venues up and down both sides of the street, this is a popular destination for live music as well as dancing and food trucks. Red River is home to Austin’s growing alternative drag scene with multiple shows a month at Elysium and Cheer Up Charlies.
- CHEER UP CHARLIES – Listen to live music, dance under a parachute and drink kombucha from the tap at this LGBTQ-owned indoor/outdoor venue. Be sure to try the vegan
- SWAN DIVE – This live music venue is connected to Barbarella through a not-so-secret passageway in the back and hosts everything from live indie rock to burlesque shows.
- BARBARELLA – Known by locals as “Barbs,” this dance club holds themed parties most nights and stays open until 3 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays. Insider Tip: Don’t miss TuezGayz – a local LGBTQ tradition that takes place every Tuesday with happy hour until 11 p.m. and dance videos until 2:30 a.m.
- ELYSIUM NIGHTCLUB – You’re always in for a treat at Elysium. This warehouse nightclub has been hosting Austin’s alternative nightlife since 2001 and is home to a number of drag shows.
- JO’S COFFEE – This LGBTQ-owned coffee shop is home to the “i love you so much” mural and is an excellent place to grab a coffee and do some people watching. Insider Tip: Get Friday night started right with a live funk show here 7-9 p.m.
- HOTEL SAN JOSÉ – Pop into this minimalist oasis and savor a drink from the bar in their lush courtyard. Insider Tip: Hot day? Try their signature Frosé – frozen rosé with lemon.
Where to stay in during Austin Pride?
The following hotels are close to all the gay bars and the city’s main attractions. They all have high ratings with our readers and editors.
Gay Map of Austin
The gay clubs in Austin are largely centered around the 4th street gay district and don’t get going until around midnight. Most of the city’s gay bars are within walking distance not only of each other but of dozens of other cool mainstream bars and clubs downtown, mostly in the hip Warehouse District that’s between the Texas Capitol building and the Colorado River. The gay scene in Austin is well integrated with the town so people mix and you’ll often spot gay folks hanging out at the music clubs, trendy lounges, coffeehouses, and restaurant bars that everyone else in town likes.
Also, Austin is home to a very popular and scenic gay sunbathing area, Hippie Hollow Park, a county-operated, clothing-optional park that’s about a 30-minute drive northwest of downtown, on the rocky but scenic shore of Lake Travis.
Recommended Hotels in Austin By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in the old town of Austin that keep you close to all the shops and restaurants
Fairmont Austin Gold
5 Star, Great Pool
- 5 Star, Great Pool, Downtown luxury, extravagant dining.
- A short walk to the gay bars.
- 5-star, luxury accommodation.
- The epitome of downtown luxury with superb dining options, a relaxing spa, & meeting facilities.
4 Star – Central
- 4 Star, Pool, fitness center, light appetizers.
- Close to the gay district.
- Air-conditioned, flat-screen TV.
- Central location with cozy rooms, offering activities like cycling & hiking nearby.
The LINE Austin
4 Star, Nice Pool
- 4 Star, Pool – Free bikes, outdoor pool.
- Close to the gay district.
- Lake, city views, minibar.
- Situated in the heart of Austin, offering picturesque lake and city views & variety of amenities.
4 Star, Location
- 4 Star, Air-conditioned, flat-screen TV.
- Close to the gay district.
- Seating area, safety deposit.
- Comfortable stay with modern amenities in a perfect location for exploring Austin’s downtown area.
Video Of Austin Gay Pride
Austin Pride Highlight Reel