From: Friday, June 7, 2024
To: Sunday, June 9, 2024
Anchorage Summer Solstice Festival 2024
During the Anchorage Summer Solstice Festival locals and visitors gather for big celebrations, classic events, and a huge dose of outdoor fun on the days surrounding solstice. From hiking and biking to concerts and festivals timed to take full advantage of all the rays, summer is in full swing under the midnight sun. More than 30,000 people pack downtown for twelve hours of fun up until the midnight sun!
- Stay at the Hotel Captain Cook, rated “Superb” by guests with spacious rooms, a modern gym and delicious breakfast options with a great location for exploring the best of Anchorage.
- Downtown turns into one big celebration with Anchorage Downtown Partnership’s Summer Solstice festivities.
- This year, events are spread out across Town Square Park, Peratrovich Park, and E and G streets to ensure everyone can enjoy with plenty of elbow room. Artists, musicians, and other performers transform the city into a party.
The Path to Fun
- Out on Anchorage’s trail system, one of Alaska’s most popular running races hits full stride. The Anchorage Mayor’s Marathon & Half Marathon puts runners on some of Anchorage’s best trails.
- With a five-miler, half marathon, marathon and marathon relay, the race has great views. Runners often spot moose or other Alaska wildlife along the course.
- Solstice fun on the trails isn’t limited to the fleet footed; Flattop Mountain is great for hikers of all abilities. Stunning views of the city and surrounding mountain ranges make the hike popular all summer, but solstice is a special time on Flattop. Many hikers hold informal parties at the summit or even set up overnight camp.
- Hotels in Anchorage in the downtown area tend have poor guest ratings. We recommend you stay a little outside the downtown district for better options. The Aloft Hotel is 2km from the centre with a beautiful pool, spacious rooms and superb service.
- Many other groups choose solstice weekend for their events as well; so don’t be surprised if you find yourself in the middle of a cookout or swept up in the excitement of a parade. This year solstice coincides with Juneteenth celebrations in the community and Anchorage Pride Week.
The Annual Hero Games
- Service members from Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson competed against other teams in trials of strength, agility and precision while crowds of community members, families and friends watched and cheer them on. Who doesn’t love a man in uniform!
Recommended hotels in Anchorage
Here are the Hotels we recommend that keep you close to all the action:
Recommended Hotels in Anchorage
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Anchorage that keep you close to all the shops, restaurants & bars
Hotel Captain Cook
4 Star, Good Rooms
- 4 Star, Luxury with Athletic Club
- A short taxi ride to the gay bars
- Spacious Rooms, Flat-Screen TVs
- Experience luxury & convenience in Anchorage’s premier hotel with exceptional dining & shopping options.
4 Star – Central
- 4 Star, Central, Pet-Friendly
- A short walk to the gay bars
- Over-Sized Rooms
- Ideal for travelers seeking central location & modern comfort with easy access to Anchorage’s attractions.
4 Star, Location
- 4 Star, Chugach Mountain Views
- A short walk to the gay bars
- Air-Conditioned Rooms
- Perfect for enjoying downtown Anchorage with stunning mountain vistas & indoor swimming pool luxury.
2 Star Good Value
- 2 Star, Great Value, Indoor Pool
- Close to the gay district
- Movies, Games, Coffee Makers
- Best for budget-conscious travelers looking for comfort near Anchorage’s main attractions & activities.