Gay Cancun Guide, Mexico
Discover the best gay and gay-friendly places to party, play and stay in the Hotel Zone. Experience the rich culture and heritage of the Yucatan peninsula.
Cancun has some of the world’s best gay-friendly resort hotels.
Gay Cancun is one of Mexico’s most popular destinations with sugar white sandy beaches and glittering turquoise waters.
Cancun has a small but sexy gay scene located in the old town, world class archaeological sites for day trips and some of the most affordable resorts in the world. With 13 miles of beaches and 250 days of sunshine a year, Cancun will not disappoint!
Swim in mystical water filled sinkholes (known as cenotes), explore ancient Mayan civilization and feast on delicious culinary offerings from street side tacos to authentic dishes from the Yucatan.
11:11 Bar Cancun
Cancun is separated into two parts, the “hotel zone” which is shaped like the number 7, and El Centro, also known as downtown Cancun. All of the bars and clubs in the hotel zone are gay-friendly and welcoming. You will find the gay bars in downtown Cancun. It’s a short taxi journey from the hotel zone.
- 11:11 – Probably the best gay bar in town. Come for the sexy staff, Latin and electronic dance floors, and well known gay parties. Drinks are cheaper than the tourist zone and the crowd is young.
- Laser Hot Bar – great drag shows, table reservations, open late on Saturdays (6am)
- On the straighter side,visit Coco Bongo, think Vegas vibes with flying acrobatic performances, wild burlesque shows, and confetti-laden dance floor. The admission fee includes an open bar and the staff are very gay-friendly. It’s tacky and touristy. But a near-capacity crowd (1,800 max) packs this Cancún landmark most nights.
Gay Cancun – Resort Hotels
Many of the hotels in Cancun are all-inclusive resorts with different packages available. Here is our selection of hotels offering a warm gay-friendly welcome.
The JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa is also one of the most popular gay Cancun all-inclusive resorts, nestled along the beach in the middle of Cancun’s hotel zone,just steps from the turquoise sea.
Nestled on a private stretch of beach and minutes from downtown, this adults-only, smoke-free resort features a full-service spa. It covers 5-acres and offers spacious guest rooms with 2-person hot tubs.
Situated in a soaring tower in the heart of the Hotel Zone, this contemporary all-inclusive resort in Cancun features rooms with an oceanview balcony, Italian porcelain floors and complimentary mini-bar.
Other Hotels in Cancun
Don’t want the resort experience? These hotels offer great value and you can easily catch a bus to the beach or rent a sun lounger or a day-pass from many of the beach clubs.
Located close to the gay bars in the centre of town, the 4 star hotel offers everything you need without the resort amenities. This is also reflected in the price per night for rooms.
3 Star hotel with features a rooftop pool with a huge Bar, a hangout area where you can enjoy the sunset and includes breakfast without breaking the bank, 3 minutes from the bus stop.
Apartments & Villas in Cancun
Sleeps 14 Guests
Exclusive Cancun house, private access to the beach and private swimming pool. High speed internet, unlimited phone use, and full sound system. Huge master bedroom and total of 4 bedrooms, all but one with en-suite bathroom.
The Beautiful House
Sleeps 8 Guests
A few steps from the beach and 5 minutes from cocobongo and all the bars, overlooking the lagoon and the sea, on its terrace and private pool you can enjoy all day in the sun, and in the night see the spectacular views of all Cancun.
Sleeps 10 Guests
This beautiful house located on The Hotel Zone has a privileged location right on the best beach of Cancún. The amazing view, the swimming pool, the garden, and the beach will make you want to stay longer. You will especially fall in love with the beach
Cancun Gay Map
Cancun Gay Beaches
Cancun has no “official” gay beach, however the following beaches are popular with gay locals and tourists.
- Playa Mamitas and Playa Delfines are the two most popular beaches in Cancun among gay travelers.
Head to the far south end of Cancun to find Playa Delfines, The beach delivers plenty of space and privacy as it is one of the few areas where you wont find high-rise resort hotels. (Take the bus or a car).
- For a sandy spot a little closer to the action, Playa Chac Mool is also a gorgeous, gay-friendly option that stays peaceful due to a lack of parking. The beach is close to the Cancun clubs and popular with gay locals.
- Two other popular beaches include Playa Tortuga and Playa Forum, both easy to access from your hotel.
Dining out in Gay Cancun
As an international destination, Cancun offers a bite of the best of Mexican gastronomy in its restaurants throughout the city.
- Surfin Burrito – open air, looking out on to the sea and open 24 hours a day. Sip a margarita and watch the sunset.
- Puerto Madero – great for meat lovers with prime Argentinean beef on the menu.
- La Habichuela – international cuisine served in elegant garden setting.
- Navios – Gourmet seafood served in a beautiful location. The restaurant is a complex of palapas on the lagoon.
Gay Cancun – Things to see and do
- Visit the sub aquatic museum MUSA displaying over 500 life-size statues, all works of art that double as complex reef structures for marine life and coral conservation.
- Take a trip to Isla Mujeres, a small, postcard-perfect island just a short ferry ride away from Cancun for some great snorkeling.
- Chichen Itza is a must to see the amazing ancient pyramids and well-preserved terraces.
- Ek Balam, a more newly discovered ruined city north of Valladolid, built around 100 B.C., is far less crowded but no less impressive than Chichen Itza. It’s one of the Yucátan’s largest Maya sites, with an Acropolis covered in ornate carvings and frescoes.
- Kayak, snorkel, zip-line, and even rappel deep underground in one of the many cenotes dotted across the Yucatan Peninsula.
- Take a day trip trip to Xcaret, a beautiful water, theme, amusement, eco-archaeological park and more, with 50 different cultural attractions. Enjoy underground rivers, a beach area, a lagoon, and natural pools of seawater. Stay for the Xcaret Mexico Espectacular,an amazing show that will give you goosebumps.
- Explore the underground river, with crystal clear water, beautiful stalagmites and a refreshing swim to top it all off.
- Visit Tulum, a now world-famous boho-chic beach town, just two hours down the coast.
Getting around Gay Cancun
- Cancun International Airport is one of the busiest in the Caribbean. Taxis cost EUR 60 approx. Private transfers are significantly cheaper (EUR 30)
- Public shuttle buses provide direct non-stop service from airport Terminals 2 and 3 between 8am and 8pm to Downtown Cancun (US$12) and to Downtown Playa del Carmen (about $24).
- You can get around in the Zona Hotelera by bus or taxi. A car is handy for visiting the out-of-the-way beaches and archaeological sites. There are plenty of buses every few minutes to shuttle you from hotel to shopping centre.
Rent a car in Cancun and explore the peninsula at your own pace.
Weather, when to visit Gay Cancun.
- December to April are the best times for visiting Cancun, offering the perfect mix of sunny skies and little rain.
- April and December offer the best weather, while May is best for wildlife (whale sharks have arrived and sea turtles are nesting).
- November is the least crowded and best-priced (though can be rainy some years).
- Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Holy Week are the busiest time for Mexican family vacations.
Isla Mujeres is a relaxed island just off the coast from Cancun.
Isla Mujeres is just 8 miles from Cancun but with a completely different vibe. Everyone drives a scooter or an electric golf cart at high speed so beware!
- Isla Mujeres, ferries depart from Playa del Carmen at Puerto Juárez and El Embarcadero in the hotel zone; 190 pesos ($15) round trip, per person. The journey across the bay takes 20 minutes.
- Golf carts are available for rent at many hotels or rental shops for $49 for 24 hours.
- If you prefer to use a taxi, rates are about 25 pesos for trips within the downtown area, or 50 pesos for a trip to the southern end of Isla. You can also hire them for about 100 pesos per hour. Regular taxis are always lined up in a parking lot to the right of the pier, with their rates posted.
What to do in Isla Mujeres
- The island’s main beach Playa Norte is one of the Caribbean’s loveliest, with shallow translucent water, sugary white sand and enough space to give everyone room to roam.
- Visit Garrafón Natural Reef Resort where you can snorkel, swim and or simply relax in a hammock.
- Catch the sunrise at the Cliff of Dawn, said to be the first place the sun rises in Mexico.
- Isla’s downtown pedestrian-only streets are lined with quirky cafes and boutiques.
Gay Friendly Hotels on Isla Mujeres
Izla Beach Front Hotel offers beachfront accommodation 50 m from Pescador Beach, boasting an outdoor swimming pool and a private beach area.
50 m from Paraiso Beach, Casa Coco by Coco B Isla provides accommodation with an outdoor swimming pool, free parking, a bar and a garden.
A new concept in affordable accommodation, features a seaside pool-bar, sun beds, great rooms and amenities. stunning sunset views.
Share this Page with Your Friends!