From: Saturday, November 11, 2023
To: Friday, January 5, 2024
Europe’s No 1 Christmas Markets – Austrian Style!
The city’s biggest Christmas market brings the enchanting romance and nostalgia of the season to life, with around 150 colorful stalls offering handicrafts, gift ideas, confectionery, hot drinks including punch and mulled wine, sausages and snacks.
- Visiting Vienna for Christmas? Stay close to the gay bars in the Nachmarkt district. Try the K+K Hotel Maria Theresia, rated “Fabulous”, a 4 star hotel with modern decor and delicious buffet breakfast.
Tips for Exploring the Vienna Christmas Markets
- Vienna Christmas Market is possibly one of our top 3 markets to visit. But it’s not just one market! The markets are spread across the city. Vienna is a large city, spread out over multiple districts and you should try and spend at least two to three days exploring them.
- The main market is on the Rathausplatz. As a helpful guide, we have listed the distance to each market from the main market to help you plan your day. Uber is the fastest way to get from market to market. The tram is also quite reliable and fun. Some markets are easy to reach on foot, but remember, Vienna can be quite cold, so wrap-up well and make plenty of Glühwein pit-stops. It’s a fun way to explore the best of the city while getting slightly tipsy!
- Note – The only officially confirmed event so far is the Christmas World Markets on the 11th of November. Other markets may open later.
Vienna Christmas World on the Rathausplatz
- 11th November – 26th December 2023 – A tall arched gateway with candles receives visitors at the entrance to City Hall Square for the Vienna Christmas World at the Christmas Market.
- Stay just steps from the market at the Hotel Josefshof am Rathaus, rated “Fabulous” by guests with spacious rooms and highly-rated breakfasts, a perfect start for a day of seasonal shopping.
- Over 150 traditional Christmas huts offer a range of gifts, Christmas tree decorations, handicrafts, culinary treats, confectionery and warming drinks.
- The trees in City Hall park and along the Ringstrasse boulevard radiate a festive glow. Visitors can skate through the park over two large ice rinks and along numerous paths.
- Open 10.00 am – 9.30 pm. Check out the top hotels closest to this market.
Christmas Village on Maria-Theresien-Platz
- Awaiting dates – Close the Christmas World, the Christmas village on Maria-Theresien-Platz features over 70 booths offering traditional handicrafts and original gift ideas.
- Open – Su-Th 11.00 am – 9.00 pm, Fr & Sa 11.00 am – 10.00 pm.
- This market is a 3-minute drive or 8-minute walk from the main market.
The Old Christmas Market
- Awaiting dates – The Old Viennese Christmas Market on Freyung in the city center is committed to tradition. A Christmas market was held here as early as 1772; today, it is a place to buy handicrafts, glass decorations, traditional mangers and ceramics.
- Stay close to the market and the city’ centre attractions at The Leo Grand, opened in 2022 and rated “Superb” by guests, offering spacious and stylish rooms and an a-la-carte breakfast.
- Festive Advent music can be heard on the square from 4.00 pm. Top-quality handicrafts can also be purchased a couple of steps further along at the Am Hof Advent Market.
- The market is also home to a delightful champagne bar, perfect for a Christmas celebration.
- Open Daily from 10.00 am – 9.00 pm. Check out the top hotels close to Freyung Market.
- This market is a 3-minute drive or 7-minute walk from the main market.
Christmas on Spittelberg
- Awaiting dates – There are also numerous booths full of handicrafts in the idyllic tiny alleyways of the Biedermeier district at the Christmas Market on Spittelberg as well as numerous other vendors with unique culinary gift ideas.
- Open – Mo-Th 2.00 pm – 9.00 pm, Fr 2.00 pm – 9.30 pm
Sa 10.00 am – 9.30 pm, Su & hols. 10.00 am – 9.00 pm
- This market is an 3-minute drive or 15-minute walk from the main market.
Advent Market at Liechtenstein Palace
- Awaiting dates – This year, the Advent market at Liechtenstein Garden Palace is being held for the third time and is still considered a secret tip for everyone seeking a quiet atmosphere.
- Open Mo-Th 1.00 pm – 9.00 pm, Fr-Su 10.00 am – 9.00 pm
- This market is a 6-minute drive or 20-minute walk from the main market.
Belvedere Palace Christmas Village
- Awaiting dates – The Christmas Village at Belvedere Palace enjoys an impressive Baroque background. The unique palace gardens provide an ideal site for a tranquil Christmas market with elegant handicrafts and culinary delights.
- Numerous Glühwein- and punch stalls, culinary delicacies, selected handicrafts together with a mix of music, bands and DJs to create a pink winter feeling in a cozy atmosphere.
- Open Mo-Fr 11.00 am – 9.00 pm, 10.00 am – 9.00 pm.
- This market is a 9-minute drive from the main market.
Christmas Market on Stephansplatz
- Awaiting dates – The Christmas Market on Stephansplatz focuses on contemplation and tradition, with around 40 booths at the foot of St. Stephen’s Cathedral offering high-quality products from Austria.
- Open Mo-Th 2.00 pm – 9.00 pm, Fr 2.00 pm – 9.30 pm
Sa 10.00 am – 9.30 pm, Su & hols. 10.00 am – 9.00 pm
- This market is an 8-minute drive or 16-minute walk from the main market.
Christmas at the Opera House
- Awaiting dates – The Advent pleasure market at the Opera House is all about culinary delights. Gingerbread, cheese, meats, punch and wine from regional producers get connoisseurs’ hearts racing.
- Open Daily from 11.00 am – 9.00 pm.
- This market is an 9-minute drive or 18-minute walk from the main market.
Schönbrunn Palace Christmas Market
- Awaiting dates – The cultural and Christmas market in Schönbrunn Palace offers romance in front of an imperial backdrop, and is converted into a New Year’s market after Christmas.
- The atmospheric market offers traditional handicrafts, handmade Christmas decorations and hosts several Christmas concerts.
- Open Mo-Th 11.00 am – 9.00 pm, Fr-Su & hols. 10.00 am – 9.00 pm, food until 10.00 pm
- This market is a 15-minute drive from the main market.
- Naschmarkt is Vienna’s gay neighbourhood on the banks of the Wien River. The district is close to the beautiful Museums Quarter. Several gay bars and cafes are found close to Naschmarkt, a busy fresh fruit and vegetable market dating back to the 16th century. including the world famous Café Savoy
- The Boutiquehotel Das Tyrol is just seconds from the gay bars and clubs and has a private spa, great staff and excellent decor.
Trending Vienna Hotels
Here are the hotels we recommend that have good reviews and keep you close to all the action:
Gay Map of Vienna
Wienzeile (‘Vienna Row’) is a street that runs through the city along the Vienna River. It is divided into Rechte (right) Wienzeile and the Linke (left) Wienzeile. Many gay bars and venues are located along both sides of Wienzeile.
Recommended Hotels in Vienna By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Vienna that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
5 Star, Luxury
The luxurious, renowned 5-star Hotel Imperial is set directly on the Ringstraße boulevard in the heart of Vienna and takes you back to the times of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. It features exclusive hotel rooms, a gourmet restaurant and a 24-hour rooftop fitness centre with a sauna. It was inaugurated in 1873 by Emperor Francis Joseph as the Palais Württemberg.
5 Star, Readers Choice
Built in 1913, Steigenberger Hotel Herrenhof is located in the centre of the first district of Vienna, only a few steps from the Hofburg Imperial Palace. Free WiFi is available. The Herrenhof’s air-conditioned rooms are very spacious and comfortably furnished. The Viennese studio Einwaller decorated the rooms and other parts of the hotel with 21st century interpretations of various styles
Austria Trend Hotel
4 Star, Great Value
Set in a charming building from 1912, Austria Trend Hotel Astoria Wien is located in the centre of Vienna, right on the famous Kärtnerstraße shopping street. Free WiFi is available. The elegant rooms are decorated with period furniture and come with wooden floors, a flat-screen cable TV, a minibar, a safe, a work desk, and a bathroom.
K+K Hotel Maria
4 Star, Location
The modern and elegant K+K Hotel Maria Theresia enjoys a central and quiet location right in Vienna’s artists’ quarter of Spittelberg and offers free WiFi, a wellness and a fitness area. The city centre is within a 10-minute stroll. The comfortable guestrooms offer modern luxury and a stylish interior design, with designer bathrooms and many modern amenities.
Video Of Vienna Christmas Markets
A short video highlighting the best Christmas Markets in Vienna!