From: Thursday, November 30, 2023
To: Saturday, January 6, 2024
Valencia is the perfect escape for those looking to celebrate a Christmas full of traditions while enjoying mild Mediterranean temperatures, superb cuisine, vibrant nightlife and a fairytale atmosphere. Events typically begin in late November – awaiting dates for the individual markets.
- Are you visiting Valencia for Christmas? Stay at the Hotel Puerta Serranos, rated “Exceptional” by guests, steps from the old town with spacious rooms and exceptional service.
The Christmas Lights
- Typically from the first week in December – Valencia’s Christmas lights are pretty impressive and often make the national news in Spain for their elaborate designs.
- Calle San Vicente Martir, Calle La Paz, Plaza de la Reina and Plaza Ayuntamiento take on a magical atmosphere throughout December.
- Enjoy a stunning video mapping light show on the façade of the Town Hall right before Christmas Eve through to the Epiphany.
- Take the Christmas train and enjoy the festive lights and beautifully decorated shop windows.
Plaza de Ayuntamiento
- Plaza de Ayuntamiento hosts the main Nativity Scene, a long-standing city tradition, the Christmas Ice Rink and the Christmas Carousel.
- Reward yourself with a perfect winter treat of Chocolate and Churro at Chocalatería Valor.
Plaza De la Reina
- From end of November – Plaza De la Reina – Browse from over 30 different Christmas stalls offering a range of handmade gifts.
- Discover authentic items right by the Cathedral of Valencia, including clothing, jewellery, toys and artisan decorations.
- Open from 10:30 am to 2:00 pm, and from 4:30 pm to 9:00 pm, the market is located in El Carmen, in the heart of the old town of Valencia.
- Climb the steps of El Micalet, the tower next to the Cathedral and take in the stunning city views.
- Upgrade your Valencia Christmas experience with a stay at the “Superb” rated Palacio Santa Clara Autograph Collection, offering guests luxurious amenities, beautifully decorated rooms and perfect location.
Mercado de Tapineria
- From Late December – After you visit Plaza De la Reina, head to the nearby Mercado de Tapineria, a creative market surrounding two pedestrian squares offering a range of gastronomic delights and pop-up shops with a different theme each week.
- Take advantage of the Antique Market, which takes place on the third weekend of the month.
Mercado de Colón
- From mid December – Mercado de Colón – An iconic 1916 former market set in a grand modernist building is now a dining & shopping hub.
- The market hosts the annual “Colón Market Craft Show”, offering ceramics, jewellery, wooden toys and leather goods.
- Featuring more than 900 stalls, Mercado Central is the biggest market hall in Europe.
- Stay close to the market at the AC Hotel Colón Valencia by Marriott, featuring stylish rooms, delicious buffet breakfast, modern gym and charming roof terrace.
City of Arts and Sciences
- From mid December until the Epiphany – The City of Arts and Sciences hosts its annual classic Christmas market in December.
- The market is full of unique gifts, gourmet food trucks and exhibitions of traditional trades, such as glassmaking, pottery and carpentry.
- Show off your skating skills at the Ice Rink near Hemisfèric, the famous 3D cinema or take in the magical journey of light and water at the Oceanogràfic.
Mercado de Reyes
- Three days leading up to the Epiphany – As part of the Three Kings (Epiphany) Celebrations, grab some last-minute gifs at Mercado de Reyes.
- The market is open each day from 9 pm until 10 pm and features more than 200 stalls in the surroundings of the Mercado del Cabanyal.
New Year’s Eve
- The place to be on New Year’s Eve is Town Hall Square. Valencia’s biggest New Year’s Eve party takes place right in the heart of the city, where the Town Hall balcony becomes a stage for DJs.
- Lights, music, and fireworks will all begin at 10:30 pm to see the new year’s arrival.
- At each stroke of midnight, you can eat each lucky grape and then dance until 1.45 am.
Gay Christmas and New Year Parties
- Deseo 54 – Popular gay club with two floors and international guest DJs.
- The Muse – Popular meeting point for those heading to the Deseo 54 party in the Sagunto District.
- Ruzafa – Hip district Russafa is filled with coffee shops, American-style bakeries, cafes with terraces, late-night bars and clubs, and restaurants
- Cómic Café – Calle Sueca, 33. Popular bar with a large terrace to watch the world go by. Very busy at weekends.
- La Boba y el Gato Rancio – Calle Cuba, 59. Stylish gay café-bar with an open-air terrace. A great starting point for a night out.
El Carmen District
- El Carmen – The buzzing old-town district of El Carme is the site of medieval gates Torres de Serranos and Torres de Quart, once part of the old city walls. Its narrow streets are home to cafes, tapas bars, fashion boutiques and souvenir shops, and revellers crowd the terraces and dance floors of its many late-night bars. Museums include the Institut Valencià d’Art Modern, displaying 20th-century international works.
- Café Trapezzio – Plaza del Músico López Chávarri 20. Gay-friendly café with a large terrace in the heart of the historic district of El Carme.
- Cross Meeting Bar C/ Juan de Mena, 7 – A late-night bar for mixed age groups. Occasional live entertainment.
- Café de las Horas – Conde de Almodóvar, 1 Combines old palatial stables with a baroque design in a cosmopolitan atmosphere. Cocktails, teas and homemade cakes.
The Three Kings Parade
- January 5th – When the holiday season ends for most of Europe, the Three Wise Men (Los Reyes Magos) take centre stage on the evening of January 5th every year in Spin.
- In Valencia, the Three Kings arrive by sea in Valencia Marina at about 4:30 pm, followed by a magical parade, locally known as Las Fiestas de Reyes, from 6 pm.
- The parade goes from Paseo de la Alameda through city streets to Plaza del Ayuntamiento, accompanied by dancers, music, and live entertainment.
- Throughout the night, the three kings (Melchor, Gaspar & Baltasar) hand over their presents to Spanish children.
Recommended Hotels in Valencia
Here are the hotels we recommend that have good reviews and keep you close to all the action
Hospes Palau, Zenit Valencia, Vincci Palace, Catalonia Excelsior
Where to stay close to all the gay bars
Our top 4 selections with the best rates.
The Cathedral Suites Hotel
is our preferred hotel in the city.
For further information and advice on
Valencia Christmas & New Year Website
The gay scene in Valencia is spread out in 2 distinct districts, The Botànic/Quart and Russafa (Ruzafa). Both are within close walking distance from the Old Town centre. The city also has one gay beach, Platja de l’Arbre del Gos which is outside of the city, however the city beach is packed full of gay boys throughout the season.
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Valencia that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
Located in front of the Palau de la Música in Valencia, this elegant hotel features a rooftop swimming pool and sun terrace. It offers spacious rooms with a classic design and free Wi-Fi. The Albufera restaurant offers local cuisine based on fresh products and gluten-free options are available. There is also a snack bar, an express bar and a lobby bar. A buffet breakfast is served
Zenit Valencia boasts a fantastic central location opposite Valencia’s Estación del Norte and the city’s bullring. It offers free Wi-Fi and has a fitness centre, sauna and car park. All rooms at the Zenit are stylishly furnished, with a private bathroom complete with hairdryer. Each room also contains a work desk, safety deposit box and plasma TV with satellite channels.
Vincci Palace is located in central Valencia, 5 minutes’ walk from the Cathedral. It is an attractive design hotel offering elegant rooms with satellite TV and free internet access. The Hotel Vincci Palace serves a buffet breakfast, which includes gluten-free products. There is a stylish on-site café selling refreshments and snacks, and a wide variety of restaurants can be found within a 5-minute walk
Decorated with bright red accents, the modern rooms at Kimpton Banneker Hotel feature a flat-screen TV, Wi-Fi access, and a work desk. An en suite bathroom and a minibar are also included. Bar Rouge offers breakfast, dinner, and weekday happy hour specials in a sleek, modern environment. Morning coffee and tea are available
A taste of what to expect in Valencia this Christmas
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Expedia
We have chosen hotels in Valencia that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
A restaurant, a bar/lounge, and a rooftop terrace are available at this smoke-free hotel. Additionally, a coffee shop/café, self parking, and a meeting room are onsite. All 31 soundproofed rooms feature free WiFi and room service. For a bit of entertainment, flat-screen TVs come with satellite channels, and guests will also appreciate thoughtful touches like free minibar items and slippers.
2 restaurants, a full-service spa, and an indoor pool are available at this smoke-free hotel. Additionally, a health club, a bar/lounge, and a snack bar/deli are onsite. All 135 soundproofed rooms provide free WiFi, free wired Internet, and 24-hour room service. For a bit of entertainment, plasma TVs come with digital channels, and thoughtful touches like bathrobes and slippers.
This smoke-free aparthotel features self parking, tour/ticket assistance, and multilingual staff. Other amenities include a garden and a front-desk safe. Each apartment provides a kitchen with a refrigerator, an oven, a stovetop, and a microwave. Comforts include premium bedding and a down comforter, a sitting area and a coffee/tea maker. The private bathroom
This smoke-free hotel features a restaurant, a bar/lounge, and a snack bar/deli. Other amenities include a coffee shop/café, concierge services, and dry cleaning. All 29 soundproofed rooms feature free WiFi and room service. For a bit of entertainment, guests will have flat-screen TVs with cable channels, and other amenities include free bottled water and hair dryers.