From: Thursday, November 23, 2023
To: Monday, January 1, 2024
Salzburg Christmas Market and Advent Celebrations 2023
Salzburg Christmas Market is on Dom and Residenzplatz, home to one of the oldest Advent markets in the world.
- Are you visiting Salzburg for Christmas? Stay close to the Market at the Boutiquehotel am Dom, a 4-star hotel rated “Superb” by guests, just steps from the markets.
- The Christmas Market is in a unique setting, in the heart of Salzburg’s World Heritage-listed Old City on the Cathedral Square.
- The Market opens with a spectacular ceremony on the Thursday preceding the first Sunday in Advent every year, and it remains open until the 1st of January.
- The market features over 100 different stands offering traditional decorations for the Christmas tree and all kinds of delectable Austrian treats, mulled wine and hot punch.
Events in the Christmas Market
Music is very important during the festival as not only is it the City of Mozart (where he was born) but it is also where Joseph Mohr wrote Silent Night over 100 years ago. A series of traditional events take place each day throughout the festive season, including:
- “Sing-Along” in a choir open to singers from the general public – every Tuesday from 6 – 8 p.m.
- Traditional wind music – performed high above the square every Wednesday at 6 p.m. and every Thursday and Saturday at 6:30 p.m.
- Visit the Salzburg “Christ Child” with his angels – every Sunday at 4 p.m.
- Children’s reading with the “Christ Child” – every Wednesday at 4 p.m.
The Market is open daily, including Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year. Check out the top 10 hotels closest to the Market.
- Awaiting Dates – Don’t miss the famous Krampus Run. Sporting hand-carved wooden masks, shaggy pelts and heavy bells, these wild figures are said to scare away the dark spirits of winter. A living example of centuries-old folk customs. The run takes place at the Altstadt Residenz-, Dom- und Kapitelplatz.
Salzburg has more than seven other markets dotted across the city including Stern, Castle, Hellbrunn, Saint Peter’s and University Square Our favourites include the following:
Advent at Salzburg Fortress
- The Advent market held in the inner courtyard of Hohensalzburg Fortress has drawn visitors for over twenty years with local arts and craftsmanship, delicious Christmas goodies and an entertaining program of choirs and musical performances.
- Especially magical are the more than a hundred traditional “Herrnhuter stars”, which bathe the Festungsgasse and the courtyard in an atmospheric sea of light. The wide selection of fringe events includes a Krampus parade.
- The Market is a 6-minute walk from the old town. Stay close to the Market at the Townhouse Weisses Kreuz a family run small hotel rated “Exceptional” by guests with spacious rooms and tasteful decor.
Stern Advent and Winter Market
- Awaiting Dates – Hidden away between the Getreidegasse and Griesgasse, in the lovingly decorated Stern Arcades outside of the Sternbräu itself, is an atmospheric Advent market with a live Nativity scene, designer products as well as authentic arts & crafts. During Advent, the summery beer garden of Sternbräu transforms into a romantic village of huts.
- Getreidegasse is a busy shopping street in the historic Altstadt of Salzburg, Austria, a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1996. It is known as the birthplace of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart at No. 9, where he lived until the age of 17
- The Market is a 5-minute walk from the old town. Stay close to the shopping street at the Hotel Goldener Hirsch; a Luxury Collection Hotel rated “Exceptional” by guests. The hotel is full of charm and character with classic Austrian decor.
Christmas Market on Mirabellplatz
- Anyone who wants to experience a small, atmospheric Advent market away from the big crowds will find the perfect ingredients at the Market on Mirabellplatz: punch, delicious Christmas treats, and no shortage of locals.
- A wide selection of mouthwatering foods, mulled wine, strolling between artistically decorated huts with out-of-the-ordinary products: the perfect location, in other words, to while away some time in the centre of Salzburg with family and friends during the run-up to Christmas.
- The Market is a 10-minute walk from the old town market and 500m from the centre. Stay close to the Market at the Hotel Hotel am Mirabellplatz, a boutique hotel with a perfect location.
Advent Market at the Franziskischlössl
- In the middle of the forest on the Kapuzinerberg, high above the city, lies the idyllic Franziskischlössl. A small Advent market takes place in the courtyard.
- At the end of the romantic path leading up to the top of the Kapuzinerberg, a unique experience awaits, crackling fires, food products from some of Austria’s most famous culinary regions and authentic arts & crafts.
- The Market is a 10 to 15-minute drive from the centre of Salzburg, depending on traffic. Consider the Boutiquehotel Villa Sissi for a unique stay in stunning grounds, just 1.5km from the city centre, offering a romantic Christmas escape.
- Salzburg is one of our editor’s favourite destinations. Each year gay visitors from around the world are drawn to the city of Mozart and the Sound of Music.
- The city has more than 20 different museums to explore. Salzburg has a small yet vibrant gay scene with several bars and restaurants.
- Andräviertel is home to Salzburg’s gay village, complete with a charming market. The neighbourhood is easy to explore on foot, with architecture reminiscent of Paris and Vienna.
- Stay close to all the gay bars and restaurants at the Hotel Markus Sittikus offering spacious rooms and charming decor.
- Café am Kai – Gay-friendly cafe with a beautiful garden offering a beautiful view of the old town. The restaurant has a variety of breakfasts, homemade cakes and pastries and a wide selection of drinks.
- Kulturwirtshaus Urbankeller – Organic restaurant with a traditional Austrian menu. Delicious!
- Café Wernbacher – Gay-friendly coffee house. The venue offers visitors a timeless experience that has not changed since the 1950s.
- Daimlers – Gay-friendly bar and late-night grill offering hearty meals and late-night drinks.
- Dark Eagle – Gay bar with cruising area and host of several fetish parties throughout the year.
- Hosi Bar – Host of pop-up LGBTQ nights held throughout the year in Salzburg.
- Mexxx Gaybar – Open 7 days a week, Bar and discotheque at the end of Linzergasse. Popular with everyone.
Recommended Hotels Salzburg
We have found hotels that keep you in the gay area and close to all the sights Salzburg has to offer,
Gay Map of Salzburg
Recommended Hotels in Salzburg
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Salzburg that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
5 Star, Luxury
Hotel Bristol is situated in the heart of Salzburg, only a few steps away from Mirabell Palace & the Festival Houses. This historic 5-star hotel offers an award-winning restaurant & free WiFi. The spacious and elegant non-smoking rooms are air-conditioned. They overlook the city & feature a flat-screen satellite TV, a minibar, & a safe.
5 Star, Great Value
Located in Salzburg, 200 m from Mirabell Palace, Hyperion Hotel Salzburg features air-conditioned rooms & a restaurant. This property also provides guests with a terrace. The accommodation provides a 24-hour front desk, room service. Every room is fitted with a desk, a flat-screen TV, a private bathroom, bed linen and towels & a safety deposit box.
Hotel & Spa Auersperg
4 Star, Style & Luxury
Family-run for 3 generations, the small and elegant boutique Hotel & Petit Spa Auersperg features a charming garden terrace and a spa area with a roof terrace. The individually designed non-smoking rooms range from classic to modern style. They are located in the hotel and the adjacent Villa Auersperg, a city villa from the mid-19th century.
Hotel am Mirabellplatz
4 Star, Readers Choice
The boutique Hotel am Mirabellplatz is directly opposite the Mirabell Palace and the Salzburg Congress Centre, and only a short walk from the Old Town. Free WiFi is available. The modern and individually designed rooms of the Hotel am Mirabellplatz are equipped with a minibar, a safe, an air conditioner, & a bathroom with hairdryer & make-up mirror.
Video of Salzburg Christmas Market
Explore the best of Salzburg Christmas Market