From: Wednesday, November 22, 2023
To: Friday, December 22, 2023
The Frankfurt Gay Christmas Market 2023 – Have a very Pink Christmas
Frankfurt is home to one of Germany’s oldest Christmas markets, the first one dating back to 1393. The market combines the old with the new, just like the city of Frankfurt, with its charming old town and modern skyline.
- Hotels close to the markets in the old town fill up in advance, so book early. Stay at the Sofitel Frankfurt Opera, for a “Fabulous” stay with spacious rooms, superior service and perfect location.
- Frankfurt has several Christmas markets dotted across the city. The winter air is filled with the scent of baked apples, gingerbread and mulled wine and the centre of town is awash with all things festive.
- Visitors encounter charming markets popping up along street corners and picturesque squares.
- Make sure you wrap up warm! It is easy to spend several hours exploring the markets; there is so much to see and experience.
The Christmas Markets – Frankfurter Weihnachtsmarkt
- 22 November to 22 December 2023 – The Christmas markets take over the centre of the town. Most of the significant markets appear along Römerberg and Paulsplatz at the Frankfurter Weihnachtsmarkt. The markets are open Monday – Saturday: 10:00 am – 9:00 pm, Sunday: 11:00 am – 9:00 pm.
- Visitors can browse amongst 200 tiny log cabins selling artisanal Christmas decorations, delicious treats and the famous Christmas glühwein.
- Escape the winter chill at one of the warm and cosy inns and taverns along with the market and enjoy some traditional Christmas fare and a glass or two of hot apple wine, the wintertime variation of the locals’ beverage of choice. For dessert, we recommend a “Bethmännchen”, the highly popular marzipan treat.
- The Moxy Hotel in the city centre is a great option with modern rooms, great location and a real gay-friendly vibe with helpful staff and excellent rates.
- Food in the markets is of very high quality. Enjoy delicious freshly fried “fries”, indulgent cheese fondue with baked bread, and a wide range of bratwurst.
- Other stalls of note include the Smoked Salmon stand at the Pink Market, offering delicious hot smoked salmon salad. For dessert, try dampfnudeln mit vanillesoße (steamed pillowy dumplings covered in a vanilla crème Anglaise) or Baumstriezel, an iconic chimney cakes sold in Christmas markets across Europe.
- One of the unique features of the market is the “Christmas Cup”. Pay a small deposit at any of the drinks stalls as you rent the cup. It does not matter what you drink, from hot chocolate, Irish coffee or our market favourites Glühwein (mulled wine) and Apfelwein (hot cider). You return your cup when done and collect your deposit. Alternatively, you keep the cup as a memory of your trip!
- Nothing beats the hot chocolate at the Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof, especially if you want to warm up in style, after a day vising the markets.
The Pink Christmas Market of the LGBTQ+ community at Friedrich Stoltze Square
- The Frankfurt Gay Christmas market, also known as the Rosa Weihnacht or “Frankfurt Pink Christmas”, is located in the famous Friedrich Stoltze Square. Find the perfect venue to sit, drink and dine with your friends while you check out the hot local gay boys. Uncover some unique gifts sold at gay owned and operated Christmas stalls.
- The market is easy to find, as it glows in a purple-pink haze of light. All of the festivities take place on the corner of Hauptwache by St. Catherine’s Church. Pink-coloured Christmas trees and brandy punch in a four-meter tall cauldron are just a few of the unique highlights of this market.
- Culinary delights and eggnog await gay and lesbian visitors and open-minded friends at this inspiring Christmas market.
- Stay close to the gay market at the Adina Aparthotel, offering privacy, spacious rooms, a modern gym and highly-rated breakfasts.
- Frankfurt’s gayborhood is known as the Bermuda Triangle with bars and clubs dotted across a triangular area surrounding Zeil shopping street. Bars range from classy cocktail lounges to sleazy basement cruise clubs.
- There is no set closing time in the city. Bars can open when they wish, making for some interesting long nights out. Many of the city’s gay bars decorate their venues to the extreme, so be prepared for some camp Christmas parties, cheesy festive pop tunes and a lot of ho ho ho!
- Gay Frankfurt hosts big club nights and parties during long weekends and holidays including Delicious , and Club 78.
- Stay close to the gay bars and clubs in any of the hotels located on the Zeil shopping street.
Christmas Market of Frankfurt Artists
- 23 November – 21 December 2023 – For something entirely out of the ordinary, pay a visit to the 300-year-old timber frame “honey-house” at St Paul’s Square. There, you’ll find countless gift ideas made of honey and beeswax, including the delicious Christmas honey with cinnamon and cloves. On the second floor, visitors have the chance to taste various types of honey and mead, a delicious honey wine.
- Enjoy a myriad of creations by numerous Frankfurt artists, featuring paintings, sculptures, photography, ceramics, graphics, jewellery, textiles, wood and paper-based craftsmanship at St Paul’s Church and the Roman Halls (Römerhallen), from 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm.
- Head to Frankfurt’s Liebfrauenkirche (Church of our Lady) at Liebfrauenberg on the weekend and enjoy the beautiful choral singing of Christmas carols from 7 pm.
Getting to the markets
If you are staying in the centre of Frankfurt, then it is a short walk to the market, with most hotels being within a 10-minute radius. If you are staying further afield:
- Subways (U-Bahn) U 4 and U5 – Station: Dom/Römer
- Trams (Straßenbahn) 11 and 12 – Station: Römer/Paulskirche
- If you’re travelling on the fast trains S 1 – 8 or subway lines U 1 – 3, exit at the station “Hauptwache”, from there it’s a 5-minute walk to the “Römerberg”.
Where to stay in Frankfurt for Christmas
On the map below you can see the main gay area and a list of the gay bars. Recommended Hotels, close to the bars and markets include:
Gay Map of Frankfurt
The gay scene is centred around the “Bermuda Triangle” area of Alte Gasse, Schafergasse and Bleichstrasse. Most of the best and central hotels are located around this area.
Recommended Hotels in Frankfurt By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Frankfurt that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
5 Star, Luxury
The hotel features 303 luxurious rooms with traditional and modern decor as well as elegant and classic furnishings. All rooms features a flat-screen TV, a safety deposit box, an air condition unit and first-class toiletries from Aigner. Guests are welcome to enjoy an exquisite and delicate breakfast served at the hotel restaurant Hofgarten.
Hilton City Centre
5 Star, Readers Choice
The spacious rooms at the Hilton Frankfurt City overlook the city centre or Bockenheimer Anlage Park. All rooms and suites feature a large desk, flat-screen TV, and comfortable armchair. Free Wi-Fi access is available in all public areas of the hotel, this hotel features a health club with complimentary 25 m pool as well as a restaurant with park terrace.
4 Star, Great Value
The bright and spacious non-smoking rooms at the NH Collection Frankfurt City feature modern décor. Every room includes a Nespresso coffee maker with capsules as well as a higher mattress and choice of pillows. This hotel also offers international cuisine and a spa area with sauna steam bath, and gym. An early-bird breakfast and full breakfast buffet
4 Star, Location
Residence Inn by Marriott Frankfurt City Center is set in the middle of Frankfurt/Main, close to Hauptwache and Zeil. Every studio comes with free WiFi and a complimentary continental breakfast. All studios come with a seating area, a flat-screen TV and a fully equipped kitchen. Some units include a dining area and/or a terrace. Offers a sauna & a bar.
Video Of Frankfurt Christmas Market
An insiders video to the best of all the Frankfurt Christmas Markets