From: Thursday, February 8, 2024
To: Wednesday, February 14, 2024
Dusseldorf Carnival 2024
Along with Cologne, Düsseldorf puts on one of the largest Carnival celebrations in Germany, involving colourful costumes, parades and a series of Carnival parties and costume balls.
- Are you visiting for Carnival? Stay in the Old town. Treat yourself to The Wellem, a 5-star property with spacious rooms and a perfect location. The Living Hotel De Medici is another excellent option. The 4-star hotel has beautifully appointed rooms in a unique heritage-listed building.
The Rose Monday Parade
- Monday, Feb 12th 2024 – More than 30 music ensembles and 5,000 participants join the procession through the city. Elaborately built and decorated floats address cultural and political issues and can be satirical, hilarious and even controversial. The Carnival kicks off in Düsseldorf’s Old Town then makes its way through the entire city.
- Dressed in costumes, revelers throw sweets (Kamelle) and trinkets at the one million spectators lining the streets. There is dancing, singing, and food everywhere. Every few minutes, the war cry – Helau! – is shouted in chorus.
Other Dusseldorf Carnival Traditional Events
- The carnival kicks off on with the Altweiberfastnacht on the Thursday of the Carnival Celebrations. Known as the Women’s Carnival, the occasion sees revelers traditionally ‘storm’ the city hall. A street carnival then follows in the Old Town.
- Other popular events include the Children’s and Youth Procession, Kö-Treiben (Carnival Sunday).
Carnival is a significant event in Dusseldorf, with the city’s gay bars and clubs hosting memorable parties and themed events throughout the celebrations. The gay bars in Dusseldorf are mainly in the city centre with a couple in the old Town Altstadt. Admittedly, the gay scene in Düsseldorf isn’t that large – but, on the other hand, the community is colourful and lively, especially during the Carnival celebrations, which attracts over 1 million visitors.
The city centre is relatively small and can be explored easily on foot. Many major roads will be closed during the Carnival celebrations, so it is recommended to walk or take public transport to and from the festivities. The following bars host popular Carnival events:
- Bar Studio 1 – Intimate cocktail bar with a classy, vintage atmosphere featuring a vaulted ceiling.
- K1-Club – Leading nightclub for gays, lesbians and friends. Hosts popular 80s, 90s and Europop parties.
- Ludwigs Bier und Brot – Long-running gay bar and cafe with breakfast and lunch options.
- Nähkörbchen – Cosy gay bar with an outside terrace. Regular theme nights and events.
- Queenz – Weekend bar with pop music and cocktails.
Recommended Hotels in Dusseldorf
The following hotels are currently trending with our readers. All are close to the gay bars and the Carnival festivities:
Gay Map of Dusseldorf
The gay bars in Dusseldorf are mainly in the city center with a couple in the old Town, we have chosen Hotels close to the bars in the city center that have high reviews on booking.com our hotel partner .
Recommended Hotels in Dusseldorf By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Dusseldorf that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
5 Star, Luxury
Centrally located on the Königsallee boulevard, this 5-star hotel in Düsseldorf offers soundproofed rooms with classical-style décor, and an elegant brasserie with panoramic views. Spacious non-smoking rooms and suites with flat-screen TV, iPod station, and luxurious décor are provided. A personal assistant is on hand. WiFi is free.
Max Brown Hotel
4 Star, Readers Choice
This design hotel with free WiFi lies in the famous Japanese Quarter in the heart of Düsseldorf. The contemporary rooms at the Max Brown Hotel Midtown feature distinctive own-brand art as well as signature bedding. Rooms feature top-quality spa and bathroom amenities as well as a view of the city or courtyard.
Ruby Coco Hotel
4 Star, Great Value
Ruby Coco Hotel Dusseldorf is attractively situated in the middle of Düsseldorf. This property is located a short distance from attractions such as Königsallee, Theater an der Kö, and Kom(m)ödchen. The accommodation offers a 24-hour front desk, and luggage storage for guests. The rooms in the hotel are equipped with a flat-screen TV.
3 Star, Location
Situated in the heart of the city of Düsseldorf, this design hotel offers bright rooms with air conditioning, free Wi-Fi in all areas and a 24-hour reception. Each of the modern rooms at Motel One Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof is simply furnished with a flat-screen TV and contemporary-style bathroom. Some offer guests extra comfort with larger beds.
Video – Dusseldorf Carnival
Highlights of the Carnival Parade.