From: Awaiting dates
To: Awaiting dates
Conch Republic Celebration & Drag Race Key West 2024
Celebrate a unique event during the Conch Republic Days celebration as lavish “dragsters” entertain audiences while attempting to outpace their rivals.
- Visiting Key West? Stay at The Capitana, a boutique hotel racing the beachfront just a 9-minute drive to the gay bars of Duval Street with an outdoor pool, fitness centre and stylish rooms, rated “Superb” by guests.
The Drag Race
- Awaiting dates – The annual Conch Republic Drag Race is a playful parody of auto racing, but instead of high-speed cars, think high-heel shoes.
- Add some spectacular drag attire, lipstick, wigs, and race-mandated footwear, and you have a zany race in the heart of the gay entertainment district.
- The event takes over the famous 700 block of Duval street, home to Key West’s bustling gay nightlife scene.
- Registration is at 2.30 pm, followed by trials at three pam and then qualifying heats and finals.
- The event continues its spoof of a speed race with pit crews, chequered flags and DJs playing revving engines.
- Racers navigate various hazards on the track, including tires and perilous obstacles, as crowds gather to cheer on their favourite competitor.
- Stay close to downtown at the H2O Suites, rated “Superb” by gusts with modern design and high-end amenities. Highly recommended.
The Annual Conch Republic Days Celebrations
- Awaiting Dates – Conch Republic Drag Race Key West is part of the Conch Republic Days celebration, commemorating the Florida Keys’ symbolic 1982 secession from the United States and the formation of the independent republic.
- Events include the World’s Longest Parade” leaving Duval Street from the Atlantic Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico, and a choreographed sea battle featuring tall ships.
- The wearable art fashion show is another rather glamorous event.
Gay Key West – Where to stay?
The following hotels are currently trending with our readers. All are close to the gay bars and beaches:
Gay Map of Key West
Most of the gay bars in town are clustered along colorful Duval Street, in the historic district, which is also home to dozens of fun shops and inviting restaurants.
Recommended Hotels in Key West By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Key West that keep you close to all the shops, restaurants, bars & fun
The Gardens Hotel
4 Star, adults-only
this adult-only hotel offers two outdoor pools. Duval Street is a 1-minute walk away, and Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory is 3 minutes’ drive from the hotel. A private balcony or patio with property views is provided in all rooms at The Gardens Hotel Key West. A flat-screen cable TV, ironing facilities, and a refrigerator
3 Star, Adult Only
Paradise Inn – Adult Exclusive is located in Key West and features landscaped grounds with brick paths and a lotus pond with koi and tropical turtles. A complimentary continental breakfast is served in the lobby. The suites at Paradise Inn – Adult Exclusive include a sitting area with cable TV. A microwave, refrigerator, and coffee facilities
3 Star, Adult Only
Located just 2 minutes’ walk from the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum, this adult-only inn features free parking and a shared outdoor swimming pool. Free Wi-Fi is also available. A microwave, refrigerator and coffee-making facilities come standard in each room
Truman Hotel 3 Star
This trendy Key West boutique hotel features an outdoor pool and modern rooms equipped with iPod docking stations and flat-screen TVs. All rooms at the Truman Hotel are equipped with a refrigerator. Each room is styled with wood floors, and bathrooms boast tiled showers and marble vanities.
Video Key West’s Great Conch Republic Drag Race
High heels eclipse high octane, and lipstick is mandatory (though tiaras are optional).