From: Thursday, November 23, 2023
To: Saturday, December 23, 2023
Switzerland was made for Christmas, complete with snow capped mountains, chocolate and chalets; it hosts some of the most authentic markets in Europe, and Basel is the reigning queen of all things festive.
- Are you visiting Basel for the Christmas Markets? Stay at the Mövenpick Hotel Basel, rated “Fabulous” by guests, offering stunning views of the city, a modern gym and friendly staff.
Christmas in Basel
- Basel Christmas Market is the biggest in Switzerland and arguably the best.
- The markets are spread across the city, featuring more than 200 fabulously decorated Swiss chalets.
- Browse from a range of authentic handmade Swiss gifts, Christmas spices, decorations and candles.
- Enjoy a fairytale forest, gingerbread workshops and even a festive train.
- Markets are open daily from 11 am to 8.30 pm.
Barfüsserplatz Christmas Market
- Located around Barfüsser Church, this market sells various gift items and delicacies.
- A large mulled-wine pyramid invites you to enjoy a hot drink, and you can try your hand at candle dipping to make a unique Christmas gift for your loved ones.
- The view in front of the Barfüsserkirche extends across the white roofs of the pretty market stalls.
- Stay close to the market at the Motel One Basel rated “Fabulous” by guests with spacious rooms and highly rated breakfasts.
Münsterplatz Christmas Market
- The Christmas market at Münsterplatz has been a highlight of Basel’s Christmas season since 2011 and has a fairytale atmosphere.
- A magnificently decorated Christmas tree awaits you in front of the stately Basel Minster, with ornaments by the well-known decorator Johann Wanner.
- The market stalls set up beneath trees festively decorated with glowing snowballs offer a wide range of goods, food and beverages.
- The Set Hotel Residence is just a short walk to the markets, rated “Excellent” by guests with bright modern rooms, high-end amenities and great location.
Other Christmas Activities
- Throughout December – In the foyer of Theater Basel, a new door of the popular Advent calendar will open every day with a stage presentation.
- While enjoying an evening stroll through the stands on Münsterplatz, you shouldn’t miss a quick walk to the Pfalz. Here you can enjoy your mulled wine with a fantastic view over the Rhine and the glowing lights of the city. The Pfalz viewing terrace in Basel offers incredible views over the Old Town and as far as the border triangle.
Santa Claus Harley Davidson parade
- December 3rd – Every year at the Harley Niggi-Näggi, several dozen costumed “Santichläus” (Santas) ride through downtown Basel on their lovingly decorated moto-bikes.
- The parade starts at 5 pm at the Messeplatz and ends at the Marktplatz, with mulled wine celebrations and a Chlaussäckli for kids. The proceeds will go to a good cause, namely the Theodora Foundation.
- Basel is located just one hour from Zurich and is known as the cultural capital of Switzerland, with beautiful Romanesque architecture.
- The city sits right where Switzerland, Germany and France meet at the Rhine, so it’s multilingual.
- Paragraph http://www.baragraph.ch/ – Gay-friendly and gay-owned trendy bar and cocktail lounge with modern decor. Open: Sun-Thu 17-1, Fri-Sat 15.30-2.30h
- Glitterfactor – Hosts pop-up gay disco parties at Heimat Basel (Erlenstrasse 59), a dance club and live music venue.
- Hirscheneck – Gay restaurant serving a wide variety of dishes and hosts theme Sunday night parties.
- KaBar – Gay terrace and cafe bar with special theme nights, DJs and summertime terrace.
- Les Gareçons – Gay-friendly cafe and bar with delicious Sunday breakfasts.
- Schluggstube – Possibly the kitchest, campest bar in all of Switzerland. Fabulous.
Getting to Basel
- The city is served by EuroAirport, shared with Mulhouse in France and Freiburg in Germany. It has flights from all over Europe, and the closest airport with intercontinental flights is Zürich Airport.
- Many people visit from other European cities via the excellent train service. Swiss Federal Railways has trains from Geneva, Bern, Zurich, and other cities.
Recommended Hotels in Basel
Here are the hotels we recommend that have good reviews and keep you close to all the action:
Grand Hotel LES TROIS ROIS, SET Hotel, ART HOUSE Basel, Sorell Hotel Merian.
The Old town is close to the gay bars
Book now and pay on arrival
The Grand Hotel, is our editors
choice in the Old town right on the River
For further information and advice on
Basel Christmas Markets Website
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Basel that keep you close to all the shops, restaurants & bars
Highlights of Christmas in Basel