From: Awaiting dates
To: Awaiting dates
Anchorage Pridefest 2023
Anchorage is the biggest pride parade in Alaska and features a week long series of events culminating in a colurful pride parade and festival.
PrideFest started as a small parade through downtown Anchorage. Forty+ years later, it has grown into a week long celebration of the LGBTQ community. PrideFest has some signature events, including a parade, festival on the park, film series, storytelling session and drag queen bingo.
Many events, such as the kickoff barbecue at The Raven and lube wrestling, have become PrideFest institutions. Beyond the Closet, another PrideFest favorite, is a storytelling series featuring eight storytellers sharing their experiences as LGBT community members in the ’70s, ’80s, ’90s and today.
The MGA Pageant
- First Saturday – Extravagance is what it’s all about at the annual Mr/Ms/Miss/Mister Gay Alaska Pageant. Contestants from all around Alaska will be there for a night of stepping out and showing off with the Imperial Court of All Alaska. This is a 21-and-over event. 9-11:30 p.m. Mad Myrna’s, 530 E. Fifth Ave. Tickets $10.
- First Sunday – PrideFest is a time of celebration, but every year Identity sets aside time for mourning. The memorial honors those lost in the UpStairs Lounge flash fire of 1973, believed to be the largest killing of LGBTQ people in U.S. history until the 2016 mass shooting at Orlando’s gay nightclub Pulse.
Disco BBQ kickoff
- First Sunday – It’s not PrideFest without a barbecue at The Raven. Celebrate 40 years of Pride with America’s northernmost gay bar (that’s right — beating Mad Myrna’s by a block). Dress to impress in your best disco outfit and enter for a chance to win costume and door prizes. Dance the night away, and have some barbecue to go along with your cocktails. Reminder: The Raven is a cash-only bar. This is a 21-and-over event. 4-10 p.m. The Raven, 708 E. Fourth Ave. Free.
- Wednesday – A tradition as old as Pride itself. Lube wrestling is Alaska Pride’s wildest annual event and hosted by The Last Frontier Men’s Club. Place bids on your favorite wrestlers and enter for a chance to lube up the boys. This is a free event for those over the age of 21. Wrestler entree fees will support Identity Inc. 8 p.m.-12:30 a.m. The Raven, 708 E. Fourth Ave. Free.
Mad Myrna’s presents Friday Night Divas
- Friday – If there’s one thing the LGBTQ community knows how to do, it’s have fun. Mad Myrna’s hosts their weekly Friday Night Divas Variety Show, with this special PrideFest edition featuring the “best of the best” drag divas in Alaska. Singing, dancing and karaoke crooning queens will take over the Myrna’s ballroom for the night. 9 p.m. Friday, June 23. Mad Myrna’s, 530 E. Fifth Ave. $5 at the door.
- Final Saturday – Alaska’s annual celebration of LGBTQ individuals began 10 years ago this year. LGBTQ community members and allies from all over Alaska will march to celebrate LGBTQ pride and the quest for true equality. Dress to impress in your best rainbow gear and bring the kids out for a family-friendly event. 11 a..m.-Noon. The parade will start on W. 9th Ave, turning left on E Street, Right on W. 7th Ave, continuing down G Street and ending at Delaney Park Strip. All groups that practice love and tolerance are welcome!
Anchorage Pride Festival
- Final Saturday – Alaska Pride’s main event features more than 130 food vendors, craft-makers and community organizations, as well as two stages of live entertainment. All ages are welcome to this daylong celebration of the Alaska LGBTQ community. Special guest Bob the Drag Queen will perform on the main stage. Noon-5 p.m. Delaney Park Strip, Ninth Avenue. Free.
The largest city in Alaska, Anchorage is home to 40 percent of the state’s population. Anchorage is a small city with a small gay community. The few bars, as in most such cities, tend to mix everyone of all ages, genders and affinities together. There are also membership clubs to provide fellowship and organize events throughout the year.
- Mad Myrnas is by far the most popular. It sits in downtown Anchorage and has weekly drag shows, karaoke and other such events. This bar has been ranked in the top 200 gay bars of the world. There’s an outdoor section, a dance floor, a main bar area with pool tables, and a ballroom with stage and seating. Each section has a separate bar available.
- Raven is tavern style bar popular with local bears, otters and leather guys with fun underwear parties and an outdoor terrace.
- Vans dive bar and Bernie’s Bungalow Lounge are two popular gay-friendly bars worth checking out.
Here are the Hotels we recommend that keep you close to all the action,
Recommended Hotels in Anchorage
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Anchorage that keep you close to all the shops, restaurants & bars
Hotel Captain Cook
4 Star, Good Rooms
This luxury hotel is 7 blocks from the Anchorage Museum. It features 4 restaurants, a conference centre, 15 retail stores and spacious rooms with flat-screen cable TVs. Free access to hotel Athletic Club is provided to all guests of The Hotel Captain Cook. The Club includes an indoor pool and separate men and women’s gyms.
4 Star – Central
A 42-inch flat-screen cable TV is featured in all smoke-free over-sized guest rooms at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel & Spa. A refrigerator and coffee-making facilities are included. A comfortable desk and a fax/copier/printer are provided for convenience. Pet-friendly rooms are available.
4 Star, Location
It features an indoor swimming pool and free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel. All guest rooms at the feature air conditioning and en suite bathrooms. Every room also features over-sized picture windows, offering views of Anchorage & the Chugach Mountains. Café Promenade for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
2 Star Good Value
Guest rooms at Comfort Inn Ship Creek Anchorage include in-room movies, games and coffee makers. Select rooms include relaxing spa baths and kitchenettes. A daily hot breakfast is served at Comfort Inn. Free weekday newspapers are available to guests. The hotel also features an indoor heated pool
Recommended Hotels in Anchorage
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Expedia
We have chosen hotels in Anchorage that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
4 Star, Great Pool
4 Star, Central
You can look forward to a coffee shop/cafe, dry cleaning/laundry services, and a bar at Hilton Anchorage. Hooper Bay Cafe, the onsite café, features American cuisine. Stay connected with free WiFi in public areas, and guests can find other amenities such as a 24-hour gym and a 24-hour business center.
3 Star, Comfort
This smoke-free aparthotel features a 24-hour business center, a business center, and concierge services. Free WiFi in public areas and free self parking are also provided. Additionally, dry cleaning, laundry facilities, and a 24-hour front desk are onsite. Each apartment provides a kitchen with a refrigerator and an oven.