From: Saturday, December 3, 2022
To: Sunday, January 8, 2023
Amsterdam Christmas Markets 2022
The nights may be long and dark in winter, but you can always brighten up any day with a visit to a Christmas market in Amsterdam.
- Looking for the perfect Christmas stay in Amsterdam? Book the Banks Mansion Boutique Hotel, our reader’s choice hotel, rated “Superb” by guests close to the city’s gay bars and offering spacious rooms and delicious breakfast options.
Christmas in Amsterdam
- There’s nothing quite like the atmosphere of a Christmas market to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. And Amsterdam has no shortage of seasonal shopping opportunities, with a range of independent festive markets taking place every week leading up to Christmas.
- From traditional Dickensian markets that aim to capture all the magic of a traditional Victorian Christmas to trendy food festivals inside old industrial buildings, there’s a Christmas market to suit everyone.
Where to stay?
- Christmas in Amsterdam is a busy affair, especially during the weekends so book your hotel early. Gay clubs, bars, shops and saunas are dotted across the city, particularly along streets in the city centre including Kerkstraat, Reguliersdwarsstraat, Warmoesstraat and around the red light district.
What are the dates for Amsterdam Christmas Markets?
- Each market has different opening times, some just one weekend, some all month. The larger markets are open from the 1st of December to the 23rd of December.
- Here are our top selection of Christmas markets and festive outings in Amsterdam for 2022.
Ice Village Museumplein
- From November 12th 2022 to February 5th, 2023 – Immerse yourself in the true Christmas spirit with many twinkling lights, festive music, gifts and treats on the Museumplein.
- Open daily at 12:00. Sip on mulled wine and stroll along the various booths to look for the perfect present for under the tree. Experience Christmas in this magical mini village, and indulge in a delicious ‘oliebol’! Play some human bowling in one of the most breath-taking (and not just because of the cold!) Christmas markets in Amsterdam.
- Ice Village Museumplein is best place to skate a few laps in front of the beautiful Rijksmuseum again, surrounded by cozy stalls with wintry refreshments.
- With an enviable location just off bustling Dam Square, the 238-room W Amsterdam is uniquely housed within two separate buildings with distinctive histories—a former bank and historic telephone exchange.
The Amsterdam Winter Paradise
- From December 15, 2022 to January 1, 2023, the RAI Amsterdam (Amsterdam Convention Centre) is transformed inside and out into the place for your Ultimate Winter Experience.
- Skate under a blanket of lights on the indoor and outdoor skating rink, discover the ultimate view of Amsterdam from the mega Ferris wheel or the high whirligig and slide from the tube slide on real snow! For the luxurious partygoers try the Hüttefest, a private chalet for 10 friends with the best view at Het Muziekpodium and a special bar so you don’t have to queue.
- Most popular catering establishments in the city temporarily open their doors here, including Ron Gastrobar, No Rules and Popov. Settle down at one of the wooden tables and make sure you don’t miss the evening program.
- For a fabulous, contemporary stay right along the canals, the 122-room Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht is unbeatable.
Funky Xmas Market
- December 4th (Sinterklaas Market), December 18th, Funky Xmas Market – Amsterdam’s famous monthly Sunday market, which highlights the work of local artists, fashion designers and creatives.
- Head to the Westergas to browse through a heap of handmade art and accessories, or simply sit back and enjoy the artsy atmosphere.
- The market celebrates with a special Sinterklaas edition – to celebrate the arrival of Sint-Nicolaas.
- The second edition is a little bit groovy with the special Funky Xmas Market.
- Westergas is a 30 minute taxi ride or 18 minute tram ride from Damn Square.
Attractions not to be missed
- The famous Dam Square and the flower market get a festive makeover for the season! Definitely worth a visit any time of the year, but especially during the Christmas period.
- Every year in December there is traditionally a big Christmas tree on the Dam square. This 20-meter high tree stands in front of the Royal Palace and is decorated with 40,000 energy-efficient LED lights. Together with the beautifully illuminated Bijenkorf they form the symbol of all festive activities organized in the month of December in Amsterdam.
- Brighten up your day with a visit to Amsterdam’s famous floating Flower Market (known locally as the Bloemenmarkt). Rain or shine, this stretch of the Singel canal in the city centre is filled with the vibrant colours and fragrances of fresh flowers every Monday to Saturday – serving tourists and locals alike. Head home with tulip bulbs for your garden or plants for your home, as well as a fun selection of typically Dutch souvenirs.
- In December there are Christmas trees in all shapes and sizes for sale on the flower market. For the ultimate Christmas feeling there’s Christmas Palace, Amsterdam’s unique shop where the 365 days of the year is Christmas. Here you score easily a nice gift for under the tree.
Markets beyond Amsterdam
While many of the busiest markets take place in Amsterdam itself, some of the more rewarding markets can be found slightly out of town in areas like Haarlem, Lelystad and Keukenhof.
Winter Village Stadshart Amstelveen
- From December 3, 2022 to January 8, 2022 – In Amstelveen, just south of Amsterdam, is a Christmas market worth travelling for. The city centre of Amstelveen transforms into the Winter Village, where children play on the ice, parents browse more 60 market stalls for handcrafted gifts, and family and friends gather.
Castle Christmas Fair
- From November 17th to 20th, 2022 There is nothing so magical as Christmas – well, perhaps a Christmas market in a castle! At the Castle Christmas Fair in Heemskerk, just a 30-minute drive northwest of Amsterdam, you can take your family and friends on a real winter wonderland adventure, complete with fun workshops, market stalls hawking handmade goods, and, this year, a pack of alpacas.
Haarlem Christmas Market
- 9th – 11th December in 2022 – A city of remarkable history and culture, Haarlem is home to historical monuments and some of the Netherlands’ best museums, art and shopping. Just 20 minutes from Amsterdam, head to the city for an unforgettable day out.
- One of the largest Christmas markets in the whole of the Netherlands, the Haarlem Christmas market is a must-see, must-do experience. As you wander through the hundreds of market stalls weaving throughout the city centre, the sounds of Christmas carols and the scent of holiday treats fill the air, making it hard to ever head home.
Don’t miss Sinterklaas
- November 12th, 2022 – Every November, Sinterklaas travels from his home in Spain to the Netherlands, bringing presents and special treats for the children. The day after he arrives in the Netherlands, he traditionally takes part in a colourful parade through Amsterdam.
- The arrival festivities include a boat parade and horse parade through the city. Children line the route to wave at Sint and his friends, as traditional sweets rain down upon them.
- The Sinterklaas fun will then continue on a daily basis until the main celebration on 6 December.
Amsterdam Light Festival
- Dec 1st, 2022 to Jan 22nd, 2023 – Enjoy a beautiful experience this Winter at the annual Amsterdam Light Festival as the city is transformed into a living art gallery
Hotels in Amsterdam – Our editors top picks
Check out our editor’s shortlist of the best hotels close to the gay area in Amsterdam:
Gay Map of Amsterdam
The Amsterdam gay scene is constantly changing with bars opening and closing all the time. The Regulierswarstraat has seen a resurgence of late with many new bars opening. The sex and cruising bars are close to Dam square.
Recommended Hotels in Amsterdam By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels Amsterdam that keep you close to all the shops, restaurants & bars
5 Star – Central Location
This 5-star hotel includes a fitness area, spa and wellness facilities and a waterside terrace. Valet parking is available at an additional charge. The guest rooms and suites blend a classic design, including a Carrara marble bathroom, with contemporary amenities such as Apple TV, A Bose surround sound system and motion detecting floor lighting
NH Collection Doelen
5 Star, Readers Choice
Built in the 17th century and therefore the oldest hotel in Amsterdam. All 81 rooms are stylishly furnished with modern amenities, including air conditioning. Guests can enjoy a drink from the minibar or make a cup of coffee or tea. Each room is also provided with a work desk and cable TV.
Albus Hotel Amsterdam
4 Star – Great Amenities
This environmentally friendly hotel with Green Key Gold certification offers 75 rooms, all equipped with a Nespresso® machine. bathrooms has luxurious soap amenities, a rain shower, an automatic lightening system and a bathrobe. The hotel makes use of an air conditioning system without CO2 emissions. Free Wi-Fi is available.
4 Star – Perfect Location
Inntel Hotels Amsterdam Centre offers rooms with free Wi-Fi and satellite TV, just a 5-minute walk from Amsterdam Central Station. It features a modern atrium breakfast room and a stylish bar. The air-conditioned rooms are modern and warmly decorated. They have a luxurious private bathroom, climate control and coffee and tea facilities.
Christmas Market Amsterdam
Highlights of the festivities in Christmas Market Amsterdam
Recommended Hotels in Amsterdam By Expedia
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Expedia
We have chosen hotels Amsterdam that keep you close to all the shops, restaurants & bars
5 Star, Luxury
Along with a restaurant, this smoke-free hotel has a 24-hour fitness center and a bar/lounge. Additionally, valet parking, coffee/tea in a common area, and 24-hour room service are onsite. All 225 rooms offer bathrobes and slippers, refrigerators and coffee makers. Free WiFi and 24-hour room service are standard, as are LED TVs with digital channels.
5 Star, Stylish
2 restaurants, a full-service spa, and an indoor pool are available at this smoke-free hotel. Other amenities include 2 bars/lounges, a fitness center, and a bar/lounge. All 179 soundproofed rooms provide free WiFi, free wired Internet, and 24-hour room service. Egyptian cotton sheets and pillow menus, espresso makers and bathrobes.
4 Star, Readers Choice
Along with a fitness center, this smoke-free hotel has a bar/lounge and a 24-hour business center. Other amenities include self parking, coffee/tea in a common area. All 91 rooms offer an espresso makers and bathrobes, plus free WiFi and TVs with digital channels. Minibars, room service, and free bottled water are amenities available to guests.
Radisson Blu Hotel
4 Star, Modern Classic
A restaurant, a fitness center, and a bar/lounge are available at this smoke-free hotel. WiFi in public areas is free. Other amenities include a sauna, a 24-hour business center, and self parking. All 252 rooms offer free WiFi, 24-hour room service, and Smart TVs with satellite channels. Other amenities available to guests include TVs, minibars, and coffee makers.