From: Tuesday, October 24, 2023
To: Tuesday, October 24, 2023
High Heel Drag Queen Race 2023 Washington DC
The DC High Heel Drag Queen Race is an annual event that is held each year on the Tuesday before Halloween.
- Visiting D.C? Stay steps from the event on DuPont Circle. Stay at the Lyle DC, rated Superb with delicious breakfast options and spacious rooms.
Thousands of spectators flock to Dupont Circle to watch costumed drag queens show off their elaborate outfits and race down 17th Street.
- Parade Begins: 6:30 p.m. Race Time: Begins at 9:00 p.m.
- This race began over 30 years ago, The origins of the high heel race can be traced back to when two men decided to race each other, in drag, from one bar to another.
- At the DC Drag Queen Race dozens of local residents dress in drag and show off their elaborate outfits.
- The event is a favorite of the Washington LGBT community but also brings a large crowd from around the region to enjoy an evening of Halloween fun.
17th Street D.C.
- 17th Street is the gay epicentre of D.C. in the Dupont Circle neighbourhood of Washington, D.C., just a few minutes walk from Dupont Circle Metro stop. The neighbourhood also has several gay long time favourites, including:
- Annie’s Paramount Steakhouse – a local favourite for over 60 years, famous gay Upstairs Lounge and busy weekend brunch.
- DIK Bar – Simple but delicious Italian dishes are served in this eatery with a patio & bar hosting regular karaoke nights.
- Floriana Restaurant – Intimate white-tablecloth bistro and home to cosy gay-popular Dito’s basement bar.
- J.R.’s Bar and Grill – Gay watering hole with a patio popular for happy hours, show tunes and videos. A must visit when in D.C.
Trending Hotels in Washington D.C.
The following D.C. Hotels are currently trending with our readers. All are close to the bars and clubs along Dupont Circle and a short ride/walk to the High Heel Race:
Gay Map of Washington DC
The gay bars in Washington are a little spread out most are within walking distance from Dupont Circle and U Street Metro stations, so we have chosen Hotels close Dupont Circle Metro gay bars as they have high reviews on booking.com our hotel partner .
Recommended Hotels in Washington DC
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Washington DC that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
5 Star, Luxury
Each room includes a flat-screen TV and a private bathroom where you will find bath robes, free toiletries and a hair dryer. Select rooms offer a seating area. In-room spa services and a yoga mat are also available for guests. You will find a 24-hour front desk and 24-hour fitness centre
4 Star, Readers Choice
Each modern room at the Royal Sonesta Washington DC features a flat-screen TV and plush bedding. Select rooms offer a deep soaking spa bath or a piece of fitness equipment. In-room massage and spa services. A heated pool and sun deck allow guests to relax. The state-of-the-art fitness centre and business centre
The Dupont Circle Hotel
4 Star, Great Value
This hotel is located at the top of Dupont Circle just minutes from the historical landmarks of Washington, D.C. The Dupont Circle Metro station is 120 m away. The rooms at The are furnished with large windows and marble bathrooms. Modern amenities include an iPod docking station, flat-screen TV and free WiFi.
4 Star, Location
Decorated with bright red accents, the modern rooms at Kimpton Banneker Hotel feature a flat-screen TV, Wi-Fi access, and a work desk. An en suite bathroom and a minibar are also included. Bar Rouge offers breakfast, dinner, and weekday happy hour specials in a sleek, modern environment. Morning coffee and tea are available
Video Of DC High Heel Drag Queen Race
2017 17th Street High Heel Race Washington D.C.
Top Gay Neighbourhoods in Washington
Washington, D.C. has a thriving LGBTQ+ community that plays a significant role in the city’s cultural, social, and political life. D.C. hosts a variety of LGBTQ+ cultural events and festivals throughout the year. The Capital Pride Festival and Parade, typically held in June, is one of the city’s most significant gay celebrations, featuring a parade, concerts, and other festivities.
Dupont Circle | Close to the city centre
- Dupont Circle has long been considered the heart of D.C.’s LGBTQ+ community.
- It is home to numerous LGBTQ+-friendly bars, restaurants, and businesses.
- The Dupont Circle Fountain, located in the center of the neighborhood, is a popular gathering spot for the LGBTQ+ community.
- Many of the bars and clubs host special events during the annual Capital Pride Festival in late May.
Adjacent to Dupont Circle, Logan Circle has also become a popular LGBTQ+ neighborhood. It offers a mix of bars, restaurants, & cultural attractions.
U Street Corridor
The U Street Corridor is known for its historic ties to the LGBTQ+ community and its vibrant nightlife scene. With several LGBTQ+ bars and clubs.