From: Thursday, Sep 1st, 2022
To: Tuesday, Sep 6th, 2022
The Phoenix Southern Decadence Block Party 2022
If you are visiting New Orleans for Southern Decadence, then the place to be is at The Phoenix and their famous block parties, complete with piggy gogo daddies and of course the jam-packed Eagle bar.
It’s the party known all around the world and the best place for leather and bear enthusiasts. It’s the Phoenix Block Party. For more than 30 years, the Phoenix has been New Orleans’ premier bear and leather bar. The fun spills out of the bar and into the street from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Friday, Saturday and Sunday night.
Organizers have a full bar, a beer trailer and tents and booths raising funds for local groups and charities. The Phoenix has the hottest men you’ll see all weekend long. The Lords of Leather and Renegade Bears of Louisiana take turns hosting each night’s beer bust.
The 2022 Schedule
Typically the party kicks off on the Thursday of the Labor Day Weekend and continues through to the Monday. Here is what you can expect:
- Thursday – Welcum Party – Drink specials, giveaways and sales on Nasty Pig gear all night long.
- Friday and Saturday from 7pm – The fun spills out on the streets, Beer Busts, Phoenix gogo daddies and outdoor bar and patio, The Phoenix is open until sunrise. Look out for sexy special guests!
- Sunday from 9am – Bear Breakfast, A Decadence tradition! Breakfast buffet and bloody mary drink specials.
- The Phoenix Bar is located 5 mins drive from the French Quarter in Elysian Fields.
- The Phoenix is the command center of the leather, bear and Levi communities of New Orleans. Located in the Marigny, it is a favorite neighborhood gay bar that isn’t a tourist spot, but is still an absolute must on your New Orleans bucket list.
- Enjoy any of our 16 beers on tap or any of our 50 bottled craft brews, always cold. If you’re looking for a dimly lit bar, this is your spot, head upstairs to the Eagle. This is where the bears and leather communities come to play for the weekend. The in-house leather store COK: Clothing or Kink has all you need in terms of gear, underwear, accessories and more. Open 7 days a week, the store opens at 6.
Other events during Southern Decadence
- Check out The Country Club’s drag brunch and pool party and don’t forget the annual parade, on Sunday winding through the French Quarter passing most of the gay bars.
- Depending on the area you spend the most time will determine the crowd you are looking for. The Phoenix and Rawhide will draw a more leather crowd. The Oz and The Bourbon Pub will draw more of a younger party crowd. But there is also a really amazing mix of people at all events that makes the weekend unlike any other.
Where to stay?
- Stay close to the venue in Fabourg Marigny, just a 10 minute walk to the French Quarter.
- Alternatively stay close to the parade, bars and clubs, at the Hotel Le Marais, with a seawater pool, large rooms and comfy beds.
The best place to stay is in the French quarter, which is where you will find most of the gay bars and clubs,
Here are the hotels we recommend that have good reviews and keep you close to all the action
Gay Map of New Orleans
If you want to be close to all of New Orleans famous attractions, including the top gay-nightlife options in the city, the French Quarter remains the hub of where to stay, with dozens of hotels of all types and grades.. Adjacent to the Quarter and just downriver, you’ll find a number of gay-friendly smaller properties in historic and trendy Faubourg Marigny, which is also home to several gay-popular restaurants and bars.
Recommended Apartments in New Orleans
1, 2, & 3 Bedrooms
All units here are air-conditioned and feature a flat-screen TV, a living room with a sofa bed, a well-equipped kitchen with a dining area, and a private bathroom with shower, a hairdryer and free toiletries. A dishwasher, a microwave and fridge.
1 & 2 Bedrooms
Featuring accommodation with free WiFi, air conditioning and flat-screen TV, Bourbon Place I Sextant is situated 500 m from Bourbon Street and 700 m from St Louis Cemetery No 1. metered parking and a garage parking close to the property.
1, 2 & 3 Bedrooms
All units feature a cable flat-screen TV and iPod docking station. Units include a seating and/or dining area. The kitchen is equipped with a dishwasher, Every unit comes with a private bathroom with a bath or shower, free toiletries, & a washing machine
1, 2 & 3 Bedroom
This air-conditioned apartment features free WiFi, the kitchen features a dishwasher, a living room with a flat-screen TV with streaming TV options and local channels are available. Other facilities at this two-bedroom apartment include a fitness centre.
Video Of the gay scene in NOLA
Gay Travel New Orleans
Recommended Hotels in New Orleans
The gay bars and clubs are centred around the French Quarter, so we suggest you try and find a hotel in this district. The area has many boutique hotels offering a traditional Louisiana welcome.
The Roosevelt Hotel
5 Star, Luxury
The Roosevelt Hotel New Orleans features an outdoor pool and a 2,300 square-foot gym. The elegant hotel features The Rooftop Bar, a full-service spa and rooms with a 42-inch flat-screen TV. WiFi is available at a costs
Omni Royal, 4 Star
Sophisticated & Stylish
Located on the most fashionable corner, St. Louis at Royal, the hotel has received the 4-diamond luxury award for the past 27 years. Whether you’re visiting New Orleans for work or play this hotel is truly the place to see and be seen.
Royal Sonesta, 4 Star
Right on Bourbon Street
Located in the historic French Quarter on Bourbon Street, Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans offers accommodation with an outdoor pool, multiple bars, and a jazz club. The hotel is decorated with modern art.
French Market Inn
3 Star Central Location
Situated in the French Quarter, this New Orleans hotel was built in the 1800s and provides simple rooms with Air-conditioning, desk cable TV & coffee facilities. Guests are a 5-minute walk from Jackson Square.