From: Friday, December 1, 2023
To: Sunday, December 24, 2023
Celebrate Christmas at one of the world’s oldest and most famous Christmas Markets in Nuremberg, the little city of wood and cloth.
- Nuremberg Christmas Market attracts over two million visitors each year, so book your hotel early in the Mitte district. Stay at “Fabulous” rated Park Plaza in the former home of the Bavarian-American Hotel just steps from the markets.
- Enjoy one of the most spectacular European Christmas Market experiences at Nuremberg, home to more than 700 years of Christmas tradition.
- Taste the delicious original Nuremberg Bratwurst (Nurembergers), a world-famous local dish, just perfect for eating on the go, each one as long as your finger, sold as Drei im Weckla (three in a bun),
- Try a glass of Feuerzangenbowle, a gluhwein with a twist, complete with a rum-soaked ice cube set on fire.
- The market features traditional, handmade Christmas decorations and sweet treats such as gingerbread, known as Lebkuchen and Spekulatius almond cookies.
- Nuremberg’s Main Market Square opens daily from 10 am until 9 pm.
- The Christkindlesmarkt has three different markets, each with a slightly different focus.
- Stay in the heart of the old town at the “Fabulous” Hotel Victoria located at the entrance to the Old City with spacious rooms and delicious breakfast options.
- Located in the Hauptmarkt, the city’s main square. A series of long rows of stalls with candy-striped awnings, stretch along the medieval square to the Frauenkirche, the city’s iconic 14th-century church.
- The market features traditional German Christmas decorations, including the broadest range of Nutcracker figurines, handmade Santas and Smoking figurines.
- Unique to Nuremberg is the Zwetschgenmannle, or prune people, with over 350 different fruit-and-nut prune man figures ranging from musicians to chimney sweeps.
The Sisters Cities’ Market
- On the Rathausplatz north of the Main Market Square, the Sister Cities’ Market brings international flair each year to the Nuremberg Christkindlesmarkt.
- Vendors sell traditional items from cities around the world twinned with Nuremberg.
- Cities include Antalya (Turkey), Atlanta (USA), Kharkiv (Ukraine), Glasgow (Scotland), Kavala (Greece), Krakow (Poland), Nice (France), Prague (Czech Republic), San Carlos (Nicaragua), Shenzhen (China) and Skopje (North Macedonia).
- The market also sells international delicacies, including Scottish whiskey cake, Atlanta apple cider drinks and gluhwein with an international twist.
- Stay close to all the main markets at the Royal Hotel Nürnberg featuring large rooms with beautiful city views and high-end amenities.
- A special Children’s Market on Hans-Sachs-Plat features a beautiful Ferris Wheel. The market is a 3-minute walk from the Hauptmarkt.
- 25th November, 2022 – Nuremberg’s Christkind opens the Christkindlesmarkt each year on Friday before the first Sunday in Advent in a colourful display of pageantry.
- The Christkind, with her white and golden dress, long blond curls and golden crown, has been the symbol of the Christmas Market for many decades.
- During Advent, the Christkind is the most important representative of the city and the Christmas Market.
- Note; You may notice many dragged-up Christkinds during the weekends. It has become a tradition to impersonate the Christkind, with some far more convincing than others.
Other Christmas Traditions
- Visit Käthe Wohlfahrt, the most famous Christmas store in Germany, open year-round selling a beautiful range of ornaments, decorations and smoking figurines.
- Take a stagecoach tour of the old town and explore the best of the city in under 15 minutes.
- Tour the Imperial Castle, a city symbol for over 1,000 years.
- Explore the nativity scene at the Frauenkirche, the impressive cathedral in Hauptmarkt square.
Nuremberg has a small but vibrant gay scene with festive events and parties held throughout December. The most popular include:
- Bar 59 – Tiny, gay-oriented hangout offering beer & cocktails in a comfortable, intimate atmosphere.
- Bert’s Bar – Cozy meeting place for young and old in Südstadt with a range of beers and special theme nights.
- Cafe Bar Cartoon – Burgers & pasta, plus Bavarian beers & an extensive cocktail menu, at an easygoing bistro/bar.
- Savoy Bar – Popular meeting place and long-running gay bar in the heart of the old town.
- Große Liebe @ Haus 33 – Heroes of the Night queer sound and techno floor at the Haus 33 Club.
- Pink monkeys Club @ Haus 33 – Host several pop-up theme nights, cruise parties and gay events in Nuremberg.
Recommended Hotels in Nuremberg
Here are the Hotels we recommend that keep you close to all the action
Le Méridien Grand Hotel, Hotel VICTORIA, Park Plaza, Melter Hotel & Apartments.
Where to stay close to all the gay bars.
Our top 4 selections with the best rates.
Park Plaza is our editors choice
for a hotel close to the gay bars
For further information and advice on
Nuremberg Christmas Market Website
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Nuremberg that keep you close to all the shops, restaurants & bars
A guide to the best of the Christmas Markets