From: Friday, December 1, 2023
To: Friday, December 22, 2023
Helsinki Christmas Markets 2023
Helsinki is home to one of Europe’s most stylish and sophisticated Christmas Markets, cementing the city’s reputation for design and an essential part of Helsinki’s pikkujoulu (pre-Christmas party) season.
- Stay close to the markets, right by the Cathedral. Stay at the “Superb” rated Hotel F6 a design hotel just steps from the market with stylish rooms and excellent breakfast options.
- Helsinki’s main Christmas markets are located along Senate Square by Helsinki Cathedral, complete with a traditional merry-go-round.
- More than 140 different vendors sell a wide range of Finnish hand made products while shoppers sip on hot Finnish mulled wine or glögi
- Highlights include himmeli ornaments (geometric mobiles made of straw), pine and birch candles, cosy wool socks and contemporary jewellery.
- Local restaurants provide pop-up experiences in the food court, serving special holiday menus and treats to more than 300,000 visitors.
- The market is open on weekdays from 11 am to 8 pm and on Sat and Sun from 10 am to 7 pm.
- Senate Square is a 6-minute drive or 12-minute walk from the downtown district, home to the city’s gay bars and clubs.
- On December 13th, the newly crowned St. Lucia descends the Helsinki cathedral’s stairs, followed by a procession through the markets.
- It’s a Christmas tradition that honours the 4th-century Christian martyr, and it’s an important and symbolic occasion for Finns.
- After you visit the market, browse the shops of Aleksanterinkatu and take in the sophisticated window displays and festive lights.
Ornamo Design Christmas Market
- If you’re Christmas shopping for stylish friends, head to the Ornamo Design Christmas Market, held the first weekend of December.
- Shop from a wide range of contemporary crafts from the Finnish Association of Designers, including interior decor items and handmade ceramics.
- Treat yourself to a weekend at the Hotel Kamp for a superb Christmas Stay, rated “Superb” by guests, offering spacious rooms and suites in a grand and luxurious location.
- Suomenlinna is a fortress town on an island off the coast, and visiting makes the perfect antidote to the hustle and bustle of the city markets.
- The iconic fortress hosts several Christmas events.
- A ferry service runs from the Market Square to Suomenlinna throughout the year.
- The trip takes 15–20 minutes and offers magnificent views of Helsinki and the surroundings from the sea.
- During Christmas, the trip through the ice-covered waters is a unique experience.
- Located just half an hour’s drive from Helsinki, Porvoo holds a charming holiday market that will make you feel as though you’ve stepped back in time.
- Perfectly-preserved wooden houses and riverside huts dress up for the occasion, and cobblestone streets are strung with lights.
- Ski on the frozen river, stroll through town to shop for gifts, eat in pretty cafes, and meet with friends.
- Visit the Christmas market in Old Town Hall Square, where vendors dressed in old-time costumes sell regional crafts and food items.
- The Christmas Market at the Art Factory is more contemporary and focused on design.
- Porvoo is one of the most popular attractions for visitors in the country and is easily reachable via the city’s pristine bus service.
Recommended Hotels in Helsinki
Here are the hotels we recommend that have good reviews and keep you close to all the action
Gay Map of Helsinki
Although smaller than some European capitals, Helsinki’s gay scene is still active and open to all, stretching across from the city centre to the Kallio district. There are several Gay Bars and restaurants, along with a Gay Cruise Club and a Gay Sauna.
Recommended Hotels in Helsinki By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Helsinki that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
5 Star, Luxury
Overlooking Helsinki Harbour, this elegant hotel is the corner from the Esplanadi shopping streets. It offers rooms with luxury beds, spa-style bathrooms and a Bang & Olufsen multimedia system. WiFi and gym access is free. The air-conditioned rooms offer a minibar and both cable and satellite channels. Suites have views of the Presidential Palace
Radisson Blu Royal
4 Star, Readers Choice
This stylish, eco-friendly hotel is opposite Kamppi Shopping Centre in central Helsinki, 100 m from Kamppi Metro Station. It offers free sauna and gym access, plus air-conditioned rooms with free WiFi. Designer furniture and décor, luxury beds and marble bathrooms are standard. All rooms feature a 40-inch flat-screen TV and tea/coffee facilities.
4 Star, Great Value
This hotel is 200 m from Helsinki Central Station and 400 m from Helsinki’s Esplanaden shopping district. Free WiFi and free access to the sauna and gym are offered here. Scandic Simonkenttä’s air-conditioned rooms have wooden floors and satellite TV. Facilities include a 24-hour shop, a terrace and free bicycle and walking pole rental.
4 Star, Location
Just 250 m from Kamppi Metro Station, this stylish Helsinki hotel is set in a refurbished 1920s building. Free access to the sauna. All rooms have Finnish designer furniture and free WiFi. Spacious rooms feature luxurious beds from Hilding Anders, air conditioning, a kettle and flat-screen TVs. The bathroom comes with aroma therapeutic toiletries from Thann.
Video Christmas in Helsinki
Monocle Magazine goes shopping in Helsinki