From: Wednesday, November 29, 2023
To: Sunday, December 24, 2023
Dresden Christmas Markets 2023
Dresden is a city filled with Christmas Markets of all sizes. Each market offers a unique charm, specialist gifts and artisanal crafts. The “Christmas mile” extends along Prager Straße to the other side of the Elbe River. Every year more than 2 million people come to Dresden’s Christmas market.
- Are you visiting for Dresden Christopher Street Day? Stay close to all the festivities at the Hotel NH Collection Dresden Altmarkt, rated “Fabulous” by guests, offering spacious rooms and a perfect location for exploring the city.
- Dresden’s Striezelmarkt is the oldest Christmas market in Germany. The market boasts other outstanding features, such as the world’s tallest, 14.61-metre-high Ore Mountain step pyramid, what is likely to be the world’s largest walk-in candle arch, and a daily programme of cultural Christmas events for young and old.
- Equally irresistible, however, are Striezelmarkt’s premium little touches, like the Pflaumentoffel, a very historic handcrafted edible figurine made from dried plums.
- Not especially large, but all the more romantic, is the traditional Ferris wheel which provides fantastic aerial views of the Striezelmarkt’s meticulously adorned stalls.
- Striezel is an old word for a specific type of pastry, which is very similar to the Stollen of today. The Dresden Stollen is the best-known product offered on the Striezel market and is famous throughout Germany.
- The is Striezelmarkt found at the Altmarkt, 01067 Dresden, right in the centre of the city.
Winterlights of Dresden
- The Christmas market on the Prager Straße represents the southern entry to the Christmas city of Dresden and invites to stroll on Dresden’s best-known shopping mile.
- The market, known as “Winterlights of Dresden” since 2012, also offers a range of gift items featuring regional specialities from Dresden and its surroundings.
- Each evening the 15 meters high Christmas tree is lit to music. Stay close to this market at the Pullman Hotel, Dresden.
- Winterlights is on Prager Straße, 01069 Dresden.
Christmas markets at the Frauenkirche
- A Christmas shopping excursion thus also takes you past the traditional Christmas market at the Frauenkirche.
- The Frauenkirche in Dresden is probably the most famous Protestant church in Germany and one of the largest sandstone buildings in the world.
- Visitors can purchase traditional products like pottery, glassware and lace from the Vogtland region on Münzgasse.
- The eight-meter-tall climbable pyramid, covered in handmade wooden figurines, is the main attraction of this small market.
- The market is found on Münzgasse, 01067 Dresden. – Stay close to this market at the Townhouse Dresden a Vagabond Club rated “Superb” by guests.
Stallhof Advent Festival
- A true spectacle presents itself to visitors within the walls of the Dresden Royal Palace during the Stallhof Advent Festival.
- Guild craftsmen and craftswomen present their goods in a historic and very traditional atmosphere. Jugglers and players provide entertainment.
- Stallhof, Schlossstraße/Schlossplatz, 01067 Dresden
Romantic Christmas market
- A quieter alternative is the Romantic Christmas market to the south of Dresden, located on the Piazza at the corner of the Taschenbergpalais.
- The market features a unique ice skating rink. The inner courtyard of the Hotel Taschenbergpalais Kempinski Dresden changes into an ice route. Enjoy some delicious homemade hot wine punch and experience a unique romantic atmosphere.
- Taschenberg, 01067 Dresden
Dresden alpine hut magic
- Après-Ski and pure alpine hut fun – on over 2000 square metres in the middle of the city centre.
- The Christmas market directly on the Postplatz offers a restaurant, an alpine hut bar, an event alpine hut and a curling track and is especially popular with young people.
- Postplatz, 01067 Dresden – Stay close to this market at the Felix im Lebendigen Haus hotel, rated “Fabulous” by guests and offering spacious suite apartments with high end amenities.
- The Neustadt side also spreads pre-Christmas cheer with its market in the pedestrian zone, extending from the Goldener Reiter (Golden Horseman) to Albertplatz Square, known as the “Augustus market”.
- The market is home to a historical Ferris wheel, the Nicolaushaus. Wind player ensembles and choirs perform over the weekends.
- Kunsthofpassage Dresden, Görlitzer Straße 21-25/Alaunstraße 70, 01099 Dresden
- In the heart of Neustadt, the trendy district’s Christmas market at Neustädter Gelichter features an array of Handicrafts, textiles, jewellery, books, and various delicacies.
- Alaunstrasse, on the grounds of the Scheune, 01099 Dresden
- Stay close to this market at the Arcohotel HafenCity; rated “Fabulous” by guests with a modern gym, spacious rooms and riverside views.
The Gay District
Getting to the gay district is easy; simply cross the river from the old town to reach Newtown’s gay bars and restaurants.
- Stay in the Motel One Hotel in the New town, rated “Fabulous” by gusts, offering spacious rooms and convenient location.
- For a unique stay, try the Relais & Châteaux Bülow Palais, a 5-star hotel with beautiful decor and close to the city’s gay nightlife
Gay Bars and Clubs
- Boys – Popular gay bar with a mixed-age crowd with busy theme nights and weekend parties.
- Saxxim – Bustling nighttime bar with a busy outside terrace, cocktails, champagne and even a pole dancer.
- Valentino – Gay cafe bar in the centre of Dresden, offering coffee, drinks and food.
- Theater Carte Blanche – Think “la Cage Aux Folles meets Las Vegas”. A dinner-show venue with spectacular costumes and excellent cuisine.
- Bunker – Gay Cruising club and host of the Dresden Leather and Fetish weekend, theme nights and more.
- Pickup – Gay Cruising club with sizeable dark room, slings and sex shop.
- Sauna Paradise – Sauna with a large terrace, massage, showers, dry sauna, dark room, sling, glory holes and steam bath. Busy at weekends.
- Boytox – Pop up gay party held at Gisela Club with several DJs, two floors, a darkroom and sexy guys.
- Queer Dance Party – Dresden’s Student Bar, “Studentenclub Bärenzwinger” and host of regular Queer Dance events from Sept to June.
Here are the Hotels we recommend that keep you close to all the action
Gay Map of Dresden
Recommended Hotels in Dresden
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Dresden that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
Set in Dresden, within 2.8 km of Brühl’s Terrace and 3.1 km of International Congress Center Dresden, limehome Dresden Jordanstraße offers accommodation with free WiFi. Units come with a seating area with a flat-screen TV, a kitchen with a dining area, and a private bathroom with a shower. A stovetop and coffee machine are also offered.
3 Star, Great Value
The accommodation offers a 24-hour front desk, a business centre and luggage storage for guests. All units in the hotel are fitted with a flat-screen TV. With a private bathroom equipped with a shower and a hairdryer, rooms at Moxy Dresden Neustadt also provide guests with free WiFi.
5 Star, Luxury
This completely renovated pet-friendly hotel features a new modern-baroque design. The centre of Dresden, featuring sights such as the Frauenkirche Church, is a 10-minute walk away. The rooms have a modern-baroque design and there is adjustable air conditioning. The bathrooms are decorated in Italian marble and many have a spa bath.
5 Star, Readers Choice
Situated Dresden Castle in the heart of Dresden’s Old Town, this hotel offers a gym, spa, and elegant rooms with free Wi-Fi. It is 200 m from the Semper Opera and 500 m from the Frauenkirche church. Hyperion Hotel Dresden Am Schloss has spacious rooms and suites with flat-screen TVs, hot drinks facilities and a choice of pillows. Bathrobes, slippers and a free bottle of mineral water.
Video – Dresden Christmas Markets
Highlights from the Dresden Christmas Markets.