From: Thursday, November 9, 2023
To: Friday, December 22, 2023
Manchester Christmas Market 2023
Piccadilly Gardens will take a star turn this festive season, becoming the hub for Christmas in Manchester – the UK’s one and only capital of Christmas.
- The Christmas Markets attract thousands of visitors to the city each day, especially on weekends, so book your hotel early. Check out the top 20 places to stay close to the Manchester Christmas Markets. Treat yourself at the Velvet Hotel, recently refurbished and rated “Fabulous” by guests featuring stylish rooms with modern interiors and just steps from the gay bars.
- Winter Gardens is the showcase attraction of the Manchester Christmas Market. Located in the heart of the city, in Piccadilly Gardens featuring yuletide bars offering locally brewed ales, food stalls, craft sellers and a stage with live music and DJs throughout the festive season.
- Enjoy popular dishes from across Europe including delicious Dutch Frites, and Greek Gyros, finished off with warm cookie dough puddings and washed down with signature cocktails and local ales.
- Traditional market dishes including German sausages and Gluhwein are also on offer, as well as appearances from local street food traders such as Eat New York and Porky Pig with their Yorkshire pudding wrap.
- Open daily 10am to 9pm (craft stalls open until 8pm), Street food stalls open until 6pm / Craft stalls open until 8pm.
- The nearest station is Manchester Piccadilly, a 10-minute walk away. The closest Metrolink stops are Piccadilly Gardens or Market Street, which are well-serviced by most Metrolink lines.
- Stay close to the markets and enjoy a luxury stay at King Street Townhouse in a large Italian renaissance building with a heated rooftop pool.
The Christmas Markets
Manchester’s world-famous Christmas Markets will also return across another six city centre squares, offering delicious food and a range of seasonal gifts.
- Stay in the heart of the gay district, Canal Street at Leven, Centrally located at 40 Chorlton Street, a five minute walk from the markets featuring a range or room styles and thoughtful touches.
- St Ann’s Square – Enjoy Handmade pizzas along and delicious burgers by Christmas Markets stalwart, the Lakeland Burger company. The Northern Quarter’s Yard and Coop returns with their fried chicken and salt and pepper fries. Browse for that unique gift from a host of new craft sellers.
- Exchange Square – A runaway hit of the Christmas Markets, Pork Pig’s Yorkshire Pudding wraps return, alongside the instantly recognisable Mill Exchange bar – complete with huge chimney. Tikka Kebab kitchen keeps you warm with their curries and spiced shawarma kebabs. The square is also home to several local produce sellers.
- New Cathedral Street – The street welcomes high end shoemakers, local vegan skincare products, jewellery and crafted produce, plus the ever-stylish Bar No3 serving smoking cocktails and gins. The Witch House features their traditional steins and currywurst.
- King Street – Enjoy a host of French themed stalls with gallic food, beers and wines, plus a warming bar serving over 100 varieties of gin. Visit the mouth watering Italian deli with a selection to beat any deli on any the high street.
- Market Street – Featuring the top makers and traders in the region, Market Street offers some fantastic options for your Christmas list.
Manchester Christmas Markets Ice Skating
- The magic returns to Cathedral Gardens this winter with a bigger than ever real ice rink. Enjoy skating by starlight under the cover of the rink’s roof, meaning you can skate in any weather and enjoy the atmosphere. The festive Skate Manchester ice rink is open from November 1 until January 3.
- Finally don’t miss Manchester’s Giant Santa who takes pride of place in the city centre, along with a trail of light sculptures taking visitors on an illuminated trip around the city.
Manchester has a thriving LGBT+ scene, centered around the world famous Canal Street – home of “The Village”. Stop by during the festive season and enjoy some cheesy Christmas music, festive themed party nights and a warm and welcoming atmosphere after a day’s shopping in the markets.
Located just south of Chinatown, the village features an eclectic mix of bars, clubs, restaurants and green spaces set alongside a long stretch of the Rochdale Canal. Manchester’s Gay Village has something to suit all tastes. Here’s our shortlist:
- Head to Number 1 Canal Street, one of the most highly regarded bars in the village, seen by many as the community heart of Canal Street. Its informal drinking and dining atmosphere and appreciation of the arts means that you might get to see a new play or exclusive book reading or art exhibition if you pop by.
- Bar Pop keeps the soundtrack of camp classics and nostalgic favourites coming. .
- G-A-Y is a pop music haven with music video walls and a roof terrace, offering regular drinks promotions to a lively crowd, whilst the gothic interior of Via is the perfect setting for a few pints of lager while enjoying the bar’s nightly entertainment of drag queens and DJs.
- For a relaxing glass of wine, Tribeca’s styled interior is a firm favourite, as is the legendary New York New York on Bloom Street – popular for its camp comedy cabaret nights. Cocktails reign supreme at the decadently decorated Oscars piano and showtunes bar, a must for all musical theatre fans.
- The Eagle on Bloom Street entertains Manchester’s gay male clientele with daily happy hours, themed fetish nights and late-night DJs. Nearby Company Bar also operates a male only door policy and is open late on weekends.
- Finally experience the Village’s more traditional pubs. The Rembrandt, Paddy’s Goose, New Union and Churchills
Where to stay during The Manchester Christmas Markets
Hotels in the gay district tend to fill up fast. Check out these deals on the top hotels close to Canal Street.
Here is our top selection of hotels, close to the center of town & the gay bars,
Hotel Gotham, ABode Manchester, Velvet Hotel, Motel One Manchester
Where to stay close to all the gay bars.
Our top 4 selections with the best rates.
The Radisson Blau This 5 star hotel is
only a 10 minute walk to the Gay Village
For further information and advice on
Manchester Christmas Market Facebook
Most of the gay bars are on canal street and are within easy walking dissidence from each other
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Manchester that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
Located in the centre of Manchester, Hotel Gotham is a 3-minute walk from Manchester Arndale Shopping Centre. It offers a rooftop terrace and free WiFi. Serviced by a lift, all rooms and suites are air-conditioned and feature a telephone, a flat-screen TV, coffee and tea facilities. The bathroom offers free toiletries, slippers and a bath or shower & bathrobes
Boasting stunning rooms with contemporary décor, Velvet Hotel is on central Manchester’s vibrant Canal Street and a 5-minute walk from Piccadilly Rail Station. All rooms enjoy elegant furnishings and a flat-screen TV and free Wi-Fi. The modern bathrooms are equipped with steam-free mirrors and luxury toiletries. A fully-stocked minibar and hospitality tray.
In the heart of the city, ABode Manchester is a splendid 19th-century building with free Wi-Fi access. Piccadilly Rail Station is 3 minutes’ walk away. ABode Manchester’s double-glazed rooms offer monsoon showers and luxury toiletries. Guests can also enjoy an LCD TV, and free internet.
Motel One Manchester-Piccadilly is located a 5-minute walk from Manchester Piccadilly train station, offering a central-city location, free WiFi and use of on-site bar One Lounge. The hotel offers rooms with an en-suite shower, flat-screen TV and a portable desk. The lounge and bar area serves a buffet breakfast.
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Expedia
We have chosen hotels in Manchester that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
A restaurant, a fitness center, and a bar/lounge are available at this smoke-free hotel. Additionally, a snack bar/deli, a 24-hour business center, and a coffee shop/café are onsite. All rooms are individually decorated and offer 24-hour room service and free bottled water. Flat-screen TVs come with digital channels, refrigerators and coffee makers.
This smoke-free hotel features a restaurant, a bar/lounge, and a snack bar/deli. Additionally, dry cleaning, laundry facilities, and a 24-hour front desk are onsite. All 189 soundproofed rooms feature free WiFi and room service. Guests will find flat-screen TVs with digital channels, and other amenities include coffee makers and electric kettles.
This smoke-free hotel features a restaurant, a fitness center, and a bar/lounge. Additionally, 24-hour room service, conference space, and concierge services are onsite. All 167 rooms offer free WiFi, 24-hour room service, and flat-screen TVs with digital channels. Other amenities that guests will find include coffee makers and electric kettles.
A restaurant, a fitness center, and a bar/lounge are available at this smoke-free hotel. Additionally, a snack bar/deli, a 24-hour business center, and a coffee shop/café are onsite. All 298 soundproofed rooms feature free WiFi and 24-hour room service. For a bit of entertainment, LCD TVs come with digital channels, and guests will also find pillow menus