From: Monday, Feb 14th, 2022
To: Wednesday, Feb 23rd, 2022
Curaçao Carnival 2022
The Curaçao Carnival is a unique celebration that takes over the entire Island with amazing competitions such as the Tumba music and Calypso festivals, beauty pageants, street parties and more.
Most of the Carnival activities are concentrated in the Island’s Capital, Willemstad Carnival attracts thousands of visitors from across the Caribbean and the USA. Stay at the Curaçao Marriott Beach Resort close to all of the festivities, and right by the beach so you can relax in between street parties and parades.
Curaçao’s Carnival is a rich blend of cultures and traditions, from the celebrations of the Dutch colonists to the the immigrants from Asiatic lands. Add in the Creole Middle Class on the island with their Private balls and societal introductions mixed in with the cultures of the Eastern Caribbean and you can see why the Carnival is such a unique and colorful affair.
Today all of these identities have blendedto celebrate one huge national cultural expression on the island that features people from almost fifty different nationalities.
With the insertion of Tumba (the island’s typical music form) as the official music to be promoted and played and the media coverage of almost every important event, Carnival without a doubt has become the biggest and most important cultural manifestation on Curacao.
The week is filled with a series of parades and parties culminating on Fat Tuesday which in 2022 falls on Feb 22nd.
Carnival Parade Highlights
- Carnival’s most unmissable events are the two main parades: Gran Marcha (The Grand Parade), and Marcha di Despedida (The Farewell March).
- Beginning the Sunday prior to Ash Wednesday, Gran Marcha is as boisterous as any Carnival event. Tourists and locals alike line the streets during Gran Marcha to cheer on the processional of costumed dancers and performers.
Marcha di Despedida
- The Marcha di Despedida signals a farewell to Carnival, taking place on the eve of Ash Wednesday. The floats glow with twinkling lights as they parade through Curaçao with Momo in tow. Momo is then burned at midnight at the parade’s and Carnival’s grand finale.
- Election of Carnival King & Queen
- Carnival Horse Parade
- Banda Bou Carnival Parade
- The Tumba Festival is an event that is unique to Curaçao . Aspiring local musicians, performers, and composers compete in the four-day Tumba Festival in the hopes that their tumba (or song) will be chosen as the year’s official Carnival song. Like the rest of carnival, this festival brings with it beer, food, and some of the best dancing in the Caribbean Islands. The winner of the Tumba Festival is then crowned Rei di Tumba, and will walk in the carnival parades along with their original tumba.
- After opening day, Carnival groups also take to the streets, wearing t-shirts specific to their group. Following local bands, these groups dance, sing, and spread the carnival spirit through Jump Ups (outdoor) and Jump Ins (indoor), where they also sell t-shirts to raise money for their floats in the Gran Marcha.
The island is bigger then you might think so its important you find the right hotel close to the gay zone, here are our picks,
Gay Map of Curaçao
Curaçao does not have a gayborhood as you would encounter in other major cities around the world. As part of the “Live and let Live!” mentality there are plenty of places to go and activities to do that are LGBT welcoming.You will find that quite a large number of the LGBT community are working in hospitality and they tend to make sure that you have a great time!
Recommended Apartments in Curaçao
This recently refurbished apartment has a very refreshing breeze and is your perfect spot to relax after a day exploring the island. This apartment has 3 bedrooms, a flat-screen TV, and a kitchen. The apartment also includes 1 bathroom with shower
The apartment has 3 bedrooms, a flat-screen TV with cable channels, an equipped kitchen with a dishwasher and a fridge, a washing machine, and 3 bathrooms with shower. with an outdoor swimming pool, a private beach area and free WiFi.
Private beach house
This apartment includes 2 bedrooms, a living room and a flat-screen TV, an equipped kitchen with a dining area, and 2 bathrooms with a shower and a washing machine. free WiFi, air conditioning, an outdoor swimming pool and a garden.
The Admiral City Suites offers 2 bedrooms, a living room with a flat-screen TV, an equipped kitchen with a microwave and a fridge, a washing machine, and 1 bathroom with a shower. free WiFi and air conditioning. Close to shops and restaurants
Video Of Curaçao Carnival
Curacao Carnival Experience
Recommended Hotels in Curaçao
We recommend you stay in close to Willemstad in Curaçao, close to all of the bars, shopping and nightlife. Beach side hotels book out fast!
Curacao Avila 4 Star
Located on two romantic private beaches, the hotel is just minutes away from Willemstad.
Papagayo Beach Resort
4 Star, Beachfront
10 minutes from the capital city of Willemstad, Papagayo Beach Resort is an unspoiled tropical paradise.
Sombré di Kabana
4 Star, Readers Favorite
Outstanding B&B with sumptuous breakfast, large pool and a beautiful lush tropical garden and great service.
Choose from several Villas with swimming pools, lounge areas, large kitchens, outdoor bars and more.