From: Saturday, November 26, 2022
To: Thursday, January 5, 2023
Barcelona Christmas Markets 2022
Barcelona is the perfect escape for a gay weekend of Christmas fun, parties and hot Spanish guys! Stuff your Santa sacks with lots of gifts and fun memories in one of Europe’s most gay-friendly cities.
- Visiting Barcelona for Christmas? The gay neighbourhood of Eixample, or Gayxample, is full of charming gay restaurants, bars and hotels. You can also find some great apartment options dotted across the city.
Barcelona is home to several traditional Christmas markets, each with its own unique offerings. Here are our shortlist:
La Fira de Santa Lucia
- November 25rd to December 23rd 2022 – Barcelona’s Santa Lucia Christmas Market is the city’s oldest, dating back to the late 18th Century. The Market is in front of the famous Barcelona Cathedral, along Avinguda de la Catedral de Barcelona. The Market is open daily from 10.30 to 20.30.
- Enjoy epic views of both the Market and the Cathedral by choosing a hotel nearby. Stay at the Ayre Hotel Rosellón and experience the breathtaking Cathedral from the rooftop bar, one of the most instagrammable spots in the city.
- The Market features more than 100 stalls selling a wide range of traditional goods, including caganers and cagatios.
Unusual Barcelona Christmas Traditions
- The Caganer or “Shitter” is a cheeky figure that first appeared in Catalan nativity scenes during the 18th Century. Traditional caganers wear Catalan national dress; a red and black “barretina” (sock hat), and “espardenyas” (canvas shoes). In recent years they have been joined by “celebrity” caganers depicting famous people, superheroes, politicians, footballers and members of the British royal family.
- Caga Tió is The Catalan equivalent of Father Christmas! Caga Tió is a Christmas log with a smiling face painted on one end. The log is placed in the living room on December 8th and has to be fed daily with traditional Christmas food like turró (Spanish nougat) and nuts. It is covered with a red blanket and wears a barretina to keep warm.
- The process of feeding and caring for the tió continues up until Christmas eve. Finally, the whole family gathers around the log and sings as the children hit it with sticks until it shits out presents!
- Make the NH Calderon your home base for your Christmas escape. It is ideally located close to the gay bars and clubs of Eixample; close to the famous Las Ramblas in the heart of Barcelona and a short ride from the Christmas Markets.
Book a Private Christmas Experience
- Get a glimpse of Barcelona at the most magical time of year on a private and customizable half-day tour at Christmas time. With just your guide and private party, you’ll see the Gothic Quarter adorned with festive lights, learn about Catalonia’s Christmas traditions, and sample gourmet treats at La Boqueria Market on Las Ramblas. Plus, you can choose a start time to suit your schedule.
Fira de Nadal de la Sagrada Família
- November 26th – December 23rd 2022 – The Fira de Nadal has been held in Plaça de la Sagrada Família since 1962, making it the Eixample district’s most traditional Christmas market. It starts at the end of November or the beginning of December and runs right up to Christmas.
- The numerous stalls that fill the square are divided into four sectors: Christmas trees and plants; nativity scenes, traditional figures and Christmas decorations in general; food, with some establishments selling sweets; and the gift sector, with stalls selling craft products, costume jewellery and clothes.
- The Sagrada Família fair is held at the same time as the Fira de Santa Llúcia, in front of the Cathedral. It is an extension of the latter and began when there was no more space in front of the Cathedral. A group of craftspeople decided to move to the Dreta de l’Eixample neighbourhood, and that is how a new Christmas market, which today has around a hundred stalls, was born.
- The Market is open daily from 10 am to 9 pm (10 pm on festivals and weekends).
Gay Parties in Barcelona during Christmas
- Check out the festive parties taking place over the Christmas Season in the city. Two events not to miss include the Churros event and the PopAir night.
- Enjoy a Christmas cocktail at the Axel Hotel Sky bar, a great way to start your evening out in the Eixample gay district. Follow up with a crazy and fun night at Priscilla featuring the city’s best drag shows and a unique atmosphere.
Fira de Reis, The Kings Market
December 17th 2022 – 6th January 2023
- Christmas traditions in Spain are a bit different. The primary day for giving and receiving presents in Spain is Kings Day (dia dels Reis Mags) on January 6th. The Fira de Reis is located on Gran Via between Plaça de la Universitat and Carrer Comte Borell. Opening times are from 11:00 to 14:00, then 17:00 to 21:00.
The Three Kings Parade
- Although many locals celebrate Christmas day, the main party in Spain takes place on January 6th and is called the Feast of the Epiphany. The Night of the Three Kings (Cavalcada de Reis in Catalan) takes place on January 5th, and a colourful parade begins at Moll de la Fusta at Port Vell and makes its way through the city.
Other sights and Christmas Lights
- Plaça de Catalunya and the Ramblas get dressed up for the Christmas season. Take time to enjoy some spectacular Christmas lights and festive shop windows. For a special treat, head over for light and sound shows at Montjuic.
- Don’t miss the llums de Barcelona, a magical new Christmas tradition in one of Barcelona’s most historic locations, Sant Pau, running throughout December.
The Santa Swim
- Watch or join in as many people brave the freezing water to jump into Portal de la Pau harbour on Christmas Day. This fun event is known as the Copa Nadal de Natació, and Catalans have been following the festive tradition for more than 100 years.
The Nativity Scene
- The traditional Nativity scene is known as the “Pessebre” in Barcelona, and there are several displays across the city. Festivities start on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception on December 8th when many visit the Pessebre in Plaça Sant Jaume.
Where to stay during Christmas in Barcelona
Gay Map of Barcelona
The gay district of Barcelona is located in the city’s Eixample district, known locally as “Gaixample”. Here you will find most of the gay bars, clubs and restaurants. It is quite compact and easy to navigate. There are also lots of hotels and apartments available in this area.
Recommended Hotels in Barcelona
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Barcelona that keep you close to all the shops, restaurants & bars
El Palace, 5 Star
Old World Charm
Hotel El Palace Barcelona is located in Eixample District, close to the Ramblas, the main shopping area and Barcelona’s main tourist attractions. It offers a Mayan-style luxury spa. A limousine service with a chauffeur is available on request. Stylish air-conditioned rooms with classic decor, satellite TV, desk, minibar and a private bathroom
H10 Metropolitan, 4 Star
Great chill out pool
Featuring a rooftop terrace with a bar and chill-out pool, H10 Metropolitan is located in Barcelona, 90 m from Plaça Catalunya. It offers a tapas restaurant and free WiFi. Each room has a flat-screen satellite TV, air conditioning, coffee machine and a minibar. The private bathroom comes with a hairdryer and bathrobes.
Catalonia Plaza, 4 Star
Great Value for money
Hotel Catalonia Plaza Cataluña offers an outdoor pool and stylish, air-conditioned rooms with free Wi-Fi and satellite TV. It is housed in a Modernist building 50 m from Barcelona’s Plaza Catalunya. The hotel serves a continental buffet breakfast with show cooking and it includes a wide variety of regional products and home-made cakes.
Hotel Cram, 4 Star
Stylish- Perfect Location
The Cram Hotel is located in a building that dates back to 1892 and features a modernist façade, and a modern, elegant interior. Rooms boast advanced lighting and access control technology. The air-conditioned rooms a private bathroom with a hairdryer. Rooms feature beds by Treca de Paris, and elegant curtains by Gastón y Daniela.
Video Of Barcelona Christmas Markets
Promotional video for Christmas in Barcelona
Recommended Hotels in Barcelona By Expedia
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Expedia
We have chosen hotels in Barcelona that keep you close to all the shops, restaurants & bars
Gran Hotel Calderón
5 Star, Luxury
A restaurant, an outdoor pool, and a fitness center are available at this smoke-free hotel. WiFi in public areas is free. Additionally, a bar/lounge, a poolside bar, and a snack bar/deli are onsite. All 255 soundproofed rooms feature free WiFi and 24-hour room service
5 Star, Great Views
A restaurant, a 24-hour fitness center, and a bar/lounge are available at this smoke-free hotel. WiFi in public areas is free. Other amenities include a rooftop terrace, coffee/tea in a common area, and spa services. All 211 soundproofed rooms feature WiFi & pillowtop beds
5 Star, Readers Choice
A full-service spa, a restaurant, and a fitness center are available at this smoke-free hotel. WiFi in public areas is free. Additionally, a bar/lounge, a poolside bar, and a coffee shop/café are onsite. All 275 soundproofed rooms feature free WiFi and 24-hour room service.
4 Star, Modern Classic
Along with a 24-hour fitness center, this smoke-free hotel has a bar/lounge and a poolside bar. WiFi in public areas is free. Other amenities include a rooftop terrace, a 24-hour business center, and self parking. All 126 soundproofed rooms feature free WiFi and minibars.