From: Monday, November 20, 2023
To: Saturday, December 23, 2023
Stockholm Christmas Markets 2023
Whether you enjoy a traditional or contemporary Christmas, Stockholm has something to offer you. Visit a Christmas market, have some glögg and gingerbread and go shopping under the beautiful Christmas decorations that light up the city every year.
- Visiting Stockholm for Christmas? Check out The Victory Hotel for a unique stay, a 4 star with exceptional character, great breakfast and friendly staff right in the heart of the old town.
- Stockholm boasts no less than six Christmas Markets throughout the city, ranging from the classic to the contemporary. The markets are traditionally held during Advent, meaning most will wrap up before Christmas Eve.
- There are several Christmas Markets dotted across the city. Boutique design shops sit alongside quirky cafes and galleries. Winter is a great time to visit Stockholm as the water ices over around the city, taking on a unique romantic feel.
- Outdoor ice skating, stunning shop window displays, and traditional Swedish hot spiced wine (glögg) add to the festive atmosphere. It is the perfect setting for shopping and a long weekend break.
- Stockholm is a beautiful city of 14 islands connected by bridges and SoFo on the Island of Södermalm. The Scandinavian City on the Water, Stockholm surprises visitors with its many charming and clean waterways, slick design, and gay-friendly locals.
Where to stay for a gay Christmas in Stockholm?
The greatest concentration of gay bars and clubs is found in two areas:
Old Town’sTown’s (Gamla Stan) Christmas market
- 20th November – 23rd December 2023 – The Old Town’s (Gamla Stan) Christmas market is a must for a genuine Stockholm Christmas. It is the most famous and most traditional Christmas Market in Stockholm. It’s located in the heart of the Old Town at Stortorget square (close to the Royal Palace).
- The little red stalls sell Swedish Christmas sweets, smoked sausages, reindeer- and elk meat and other Christmas delicacies, glögg (mulled wine) and a range of Swedish handicrafts and decorative arts of high-quality artistry.
- Skansen celebrates all traditional Swedish festivals, and Christmas is no exception, with a historic Christmas market dating back to 1903. Skansen is the first open-air museum and zoo in Sweden, located on the island Djurgården in Stockholm. Discover delicious treats and beautiful Christmas gifts and enjoy the great ambience.
- Skansen is a 15-minute taxi ride from the old town.
Christmas at Rosendal
- Rosendals Garden is an oasis for sustainability, growing and enjoyment! In this beautiful garden, you will find seasonal food, flowers, wreaths, bread and pastries. The Premiere evening is on November 29. On December 22, there will be a light show and a large fire when the sunsets.
- The gardens are a 15-minute drive from the old town.
- Awaiting dates and times
- November 17th – 19th, 2023 – Sweden’s Sweden’s largest Christmas fair is at Sörmland’s Taxinge Castle , where over 130 of the country’s best craftsmen are gathered. Make sure to come early; it will take time to browse the full selection of items on offer.
- Discover delicious homemade cheese, sausages, jam, ham, bread, herring, salmon and other goodies that belong to Christmas. And tasting is usually not just allowed; it is a must.
- The Castle is a one hour drive from Stockholm’s old town.
Other highlights in Stockholm at Christmas
Stop by the Stockholm Design centre (Arkitektur- och designcentrum) to see their annual gingerbread house competition (all month long). The competition is split into three categories: architects, bakers and children. Probably the best smelling museum in the world (at least this month)!
During the weeks leading up to Christmas, it is traditional in Sweden to eat a special Christmas smorgasbord called julbord. It is a buffet that is laden with Swedish holiday dishes… like a variety of pickled herring, smoked salmon, gravad lax, meatballs and glazed ham. Many restaurants serve julbord this month, though a neat way to experience this is on the dinner cruises
Where to stay in Stockholm?
Here are the Hotels we recommend that keep you close to the markets and the gay bars and clubs.
Gay Map of Stockholm
Being gay is such a non-issue in Sweden that Stockholm doesn’t really have a “gay area” — the gay clubs are everywhere, and gay restaurants and coffee shops are dispersed throughout downtown, old town, and even the suburbs.
Recommended Hotels in Stockholm By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Stockholm that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
5 Star, Luxury
Nobis Hotel is housed in two stylish 19th-century buildings on Norrmalmstorg Square, in the middle of Stockholm’s main shopping district. It offers luxurious rooms with free WiFi access. All rooms at Nobis feature modern décor, climate control, a flat-screen cable TV and marble bathrooms. Restaurant Noi serves modern dishes with influences from all over Europe in an elegant setting
Nordic Light Hotel
4 Star, Readers Choice
This sleek design hotel is just 100 m from the Arlanda Airport Express Train at Stockholm Central Station. It offers modern rooms with free WiFi and tea/coffee facilities. All rooms at Nordic Light Hotel have a laptop-sized safe and satellite TV. The luxury beds are by Swedish brand, Anders Hilding. Bathrooms include quality toiletries.
Berns Boutique Hotel
4 Star, Great Value
Berns Hotel is a stylish boutique hotel from 1863, situated next to Nybrokajen Harbour in central Stockholm. The iconic building features a historic dining hall, several bars and a lobby shop. Just around the corner, guests will find Stureplan which is one of Stockholm’s most luxurious shopping and nightlife areas. The Old Town and the Royal Palace are just a few minutes walk away.
4 Star, Location
This hotel is situated beside Central Station. Guests enjoy free entrance to the gym, pool, hot tub and sauna. Breakfast is free for children under 7 years, while children up to 12 years have a discount. All the air-conditioned guest rooms at Radisson Blu Royal Viking have luxury beds and a bathtub or shower. Each room features a satellite TV and minibar.
Video Of Stockholm Christmas Markets
Highlights from Winter & Christmas of Stockholm in Sweden