From: Awaiting dates
To: Awaiting dates
Carnaval Scala, Rio Carnival Gay Ball 2023
The Scala Rio Gay Ball is a baile (one of its many names is the Baile Gay do Rio Scala.) During Rio Carnival, many balls are held at the Scala Rio nightclub, but they save the best and most fabulous for last.
- Visiting Rio for Carnival? Stay at the Hotel Arpoador, a 4 star hotel right on the beach with great views and rated “Superb”.
- The Scala Rio Gay Ball has become a Rio Carnival institution attracting visitors from around the world, gay and straight to celebrate the end of Carnival. Doors open from 11pm. Tickets sell out fast and many VIP options are available.
- While the event is a costume ball, it is open to interpretation. You will find Drag Queens, S&M Guys, Halloween style outfits and more!
- The Red Carpet arrival gala is broadcast on television with some of the most stunning costumes on display. The “Travestis” attempt to outdo each other every year – the red carpet rivalry is fierce!
- The main dance floor gets packed pretty quickly, especially once the Brazilian Samba band take to the stage. The event attracts a wide mix of gay guys of all ages, but is more of a dance ball and relaxed party, than a circuit party.
- Scala Rio is located on Av. Treze de Maio, 23 – Centro. It is a famous Nightclub with parties & dances during Carnival, plus open-air parties, samba classes & LGBT night.
- The club is a 20 minute drive from Ipanema. We recommend you stay in Ipanema and take a taxi to and from the event. Ipanema is host to some of the biggest gay block parties and events during the Carnival and is home to the city’s poplar gay beach. It is the perfect base for exploring the city and all its attractions.
Trending Hotels in Rio
The following hotels are currently popular with our readers in Rio! All are close to the city’s gay bars and the carnival events:
Gay Map of Rio
Most of Rips gay bars are located in Ipanema and Copacabana. Ipanema’s gayest nightspot is on the beach block of Rua Teixeira de Melo, next to Farme.
Along Copacabana beach there is a traditionally gay-friendly area known as Bolsa, near Lido. Hustlers are pretty much part of the scene, and you should keep a good hold on your wallet
Recommended Hotels in Rio By Booking
Book with confidence. Get the best Prices from our partner Booking.com
We have chosen hotels in Rio that keep you close to all the shops,restaurants & bars
5 Star, Luxury
Boasting a rooftop pool with stunning sea views, Hotel Fasano Rio de Janeiro offers luxurious beachfront accommodations on Ipanema Beach. The property also offers a spa and wellness centre. Elegantly decorated, rooms feature a balcony, air conditioning, a flat-screen TV with satellite channels, a minibar and a private bathroom with bath or shower.
5 Star, Readers Choice
The elegant 5-star Copacabana Palace, A Belmond Hotel, Rio de Janeiro offers luxurious rooms with marbled bathrooms. All offer king-size beds, free use of internet and a free pair of Havaianas flip flops and panoramic ocean views, located on Rio de Janeiro’s Copacabana Beachfront. Services include a wellness spa and 3 gastronomic restaurants.
5 Star, Great Value
Located right across from the famous Copacabana Beach, the Miramar Hotel by Windsor features a green granite pool and a modern gym. Offers butler service and free WiFi. Guests can start the day with a rich breakfast. Room here comes equipped with air conditioning, a flat-screen cable TV, safe and minibar. The bathroom includes toiletries and a bathrobe.
4 Star, Location
Facing Copacabana Beach and within 800 m from Ipanema Beach, Orla Copacabana Hotel features free WiFi, a rooftop pool and a restaurant. It offers panoramic views of Sugar Loaf Mountain and the ocean. Rooms at Orla Copacabana display neutral colours and modern décor. They provide air conditioning, cable TV and a minibar. Some also offer scenic ocean views.
Video Of Carnaval Scala Rio – Rio Carnival Gay Ball
Traditional carnival gay ball held in Rio
Top Gay Neighbourhoods in Rio de Janeiro
Gay Rio de Janeiro, a city that pulses with energy, celebrates diversity, and embraces the LGBTQ+ community with open arms. Nestled between lush mountains and stunning beaches, Rio de Janeiro is not only a tropical paradise but also a haven for those seeking a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere. From the iconic Copacabana and Ipanema beaches to the lively Lapa district, gay Rio de Janeiro offers a kaleidoscope of experiences.
Ipanema | The heart of Rio’s beauty
- Ipanema, a neighborhood in Rio de Janeiro that’s known for its LGBTQ+ friendly vibe and diverse community.
- Nestled alongside the iconic Ipanema Beach, this area has become a hub for LGBTQ+ travelers and locals alike.
- With its relaxed beach culture, a range of LGBTQ+-owned businesses where you can enjoy the sand and surf during the day and explore the local nightlife after dark.
- Discover the best things to see and do in Ipanema
The iconic beachfront of Copacabana has a variety of LGBTQ+-friendly establishments & a diverse crowd.
Leblon is known for its beautiful beach, high-end shops, restaurants, bars and the best hotels in Rio